Help with Hex inverter drum voice

Greetings fellow tinkerers. I was wondering if any of you fine lads and lasses could lend a hand figuring out a layout for this circuit:

I R n00b AND every time I try to build a circuit from a breadboard layout or schematic, I fail horribly. Stripboards are fine, my brain does not work in a logical fashion very well so I was hoping if someone has used or wanted to build this simple drum voice with decay they could shoot a stripboard layout my way.

I can’t figure out exactly how he’s wiring this stereo pot. I’ll probably figure it out eventually but was hoping to speed it up.

Cheers.

this thing is finicky, really gotta play with the relationship between the “decal” pot and the T filter pot, but I got it working, it’s not super great, but it’s going haha.

2 Likes

The first step is getting it working. Optimization can come later. I saw this link a while back, I definitely want to make this at some point in the near future!

Yeah
He didn’t show the basics of actually hooking up the hex inverter IC, so once I copied that on his breadboard video (sloooowed doooown haha) and double checked my lines (I often run in parallel things that should be in series, whoops) she was making sound. Still get quite a bit of sound - click, coming from the gate itself, which may or may not be desirable depending on what you’re doing.

It’s very sensitive to small changes, I think it one threw in a couple trim pots on either side of the two pots, you could get a more fine control over the “decay” and “tune” pots (which both actually decay, and both tune), less travel and more fine control, cause the two knobs have to be kind of just slightly out of tune of each other to get that decay and not just oscillate.

Still, probly the easiest little 808ish (but different) bassdrum I"ve seen.

1 Like

I don’t know if this will help or not, but this is the one I made. I used a bread board-form PCB so if you’re laying it out on a bread board it should work with a configuration like this. I did use a double gang for the twin-t, but if it’s too hard to see where the resistors and smaller caps landed, let me know and I’ll try to parse it out for you.

6 Likes

awesome, I did eventually get it working. I think it could benefit from a couple trim pots so as it’s easier to not lose the sweet spot, but not really necessary

2 Likes