VCVrack on Raspberry Pi

Pfffffffffft typing is the way to go for music making!

You could always put VCVrack into /usr/local, and then add the paths to your ENV. That way it’s just “rack” from the command line…

Also, if you’re running just vcvrack on a Pi, and you want the extra processing power, then a few things you should do:

• ditch whatever windowmanager you’re using and install openbox
  • ditch your loginmanager
  • in openbox’s X11 config, you can configure what the window manager does and has (it’ll just have a background, a toolbar and you can right click for stuff). You can set the path for vcvrack to automatically open when openbox starts.

I do this with things I build professionally, so that when you start the machine it just opens your app, with nothing else running. Reduces memory consumption etc, but also simplified things to just whatever apps/functions openbox has been configured with (ie shutdown, open terminal etc). Beauty of Unix/Linux is that it’s all modular, and you don’t actually need a billion things that a normal desktop would have.

5 Likes

Nice! My pi is a Retroarch box primarily, a research/experimenting machine second and now a virtual modular box!
Versatility over performance for me, I havent even thought of overclocking it yet =D
Going to need an Ice Tower for cooling =P

Im still trying to complete Kid Chameleon and Toejam & Earl on Mega Drive. Never did manage it as a kiddo.
Now I have more distractions haha!

1 Like

Well, I’ve just picked up a Mutable Instruments CV-Pal…

My thought is that I can use a Pi or even an Arduino Pro to generate MIDI using whatever formulas/functions I want, and use CV-Pal to generate the corresponding CV’s.

Shame there’s no input, BUT, maybe can generate the clock signal and be the master as well :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I use an Argon One case(won it in a prize draw) and it uses the whole metal case as a heatsink. My Pi 4 isn’t over locked but when it does run hot the case fan turns on automatically and I sometimes put a jar of ice cubes on top for ‘water cooling’ :laughing:

This is a good idea( openbox and no login manager), but last time I tried this I messed stuff up - no idea how! Are there any guides online about how to do this?

I’m no Linux guru, I just copy bits of one example code into another, with a heavy dose of Stack Exchange :slight_smile:

I have one too! I use a Pi 3+ as the host to connect my midi keyboard to the Cvpal. I used the code here:

There’s more info in a Reddit comment, Google “raspberry pi midi router”.

1 Like

Awesome, very cool!

I’ve got a stack of Pi’s, so need to find one to hijack for this. Think I’ll get an LCD display, and mount it in a Eurorack. It’ll be the only thing running off 5V in the rack as well :joy:

I like the tip on that project as well, to make the filesystem read only, so you can yank the plug. Whatever UI I’ll have, will be via the LCD plus buttons, and/or SSH. Maybe even Teletype style, and just be a command line and use a keyboard :heart_eyes:

Not even sure what I want it to do yet, but maybe sequencing…

2 Likes

As I understand it, it wasn’t so much a dispute as a realisation that their original licence didn’t fit their business needs. Even with the new licence the other company could still use their code for commercial purposes, as long as any derivative works were also GPL-licensed. They were wise to reengineer the architecture soon afterwards, but their claim that they relicensed in order to avoid splitting the community rings hollow.

1 Like

Incidentally I tried installing VCV Rack on my ThinkPad x230i running Windows 10. At first it crashed with a complaint about my graphics card not supporting OpenGL 2. It appears that this is due to Lenovo switching from an Intel HD graphics chipset to some other chipset and then deciding not to support Windows 10 on ThinkPads with the old chipset. For anybody suffering similar problems, there a fix that worked for me here:

Look for the file VCV-Rack.cmd and double click on it to execute. You’ll have to tell Windows that it’s okay to do that. This is a potentially dangerous thing to do, so think carefully before taking the risk. You’re basically letting a script you downloaded from a random website perform unauthorised changes to your system.

I ran the latest version from the GitHub archive. It’s a run-once fix, and after that VCV Rack ran without problems, in that it started up and let me configure the sound card and play with the demo patch.

2 Likes

Another thing to consider is Hexen, an Android app that’s designed for modern touch screen devices. I’m not sure whether you can export MIDI through the USB port.

1 Like

you should be able to with an OTG cable.

2 Likes

Automatonism, a modular synth written in Pure Data.

2 Likes