Troubleshooting build questions

Hey guys hope everyone is staying safe. So I fixed the problems I was having with my 2 ADSR and LFOs last week, I had chips in backwards. Anyway so far I have 2 VCOs working, not calibrated yet but working. I’m having issues with the code for the tuner upload. That aside I have signal and can send CV from my Erebus V3 and play around. I’m super green when it comes to this and modular in general and I’m having issues with figuring out the patching to the ADSR and LFO to the VCO and out to mix. Everything I try patching to and from ADSR doesn’t work. So to confirm and help a new guy out could someone illustrate a simple patch using only LMNC VCO, Filter, ADSR, VCA? This would help me with troubleshooting other issues. I would love to see how you guys are patching up your Kosmo. Thanks again for all the help you guys are great and I really appreciate you to no end, truly!

3 Likes

Try vco-VCA-filter-output with the envelope out going to the cv of the VCA

1 Like

there are necessarily several ways to patch this … but I would have said

VCO out - VCF in - VCF out - VCA in
and ADSR out to the VCF CV and VCA CV (both where only the VCA, if you have no multiple)

and with this patch you will also necessarily need something that triggers your ADSR (square signal, LFO, clock …)

you can watch this thread for patching :

1 Like

If you just want to verify the ADSR is working:
VCO output (square or triangle or ramp) to VCA signal input
VCA output to sound system
ADSR output to VCA CV input
ADSR switch to “ADSR”, you should hear nothing
ADSR switch to “loop” and play with the ADSR controls, you should hear repeated notes

Disclaimer: I don’t have these modules, I may be making unwarranted assumptions about how they work.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!!! I’m so stuck in linear synth menu diving and trying to unlearn it is challenging. My brain wants to patch everything like effects pedals. If everything is laid out like my old Pro One or MS 10 I’m good to go. I haven’t had much time lately to focus on all of this due to Covid, kids, work and everything else we all effected by. I think as these modules are released and I get my head around it making a video for each one explaining its patching and functions for beginners would be useful. I love Looppops videos and how he explains in detail what the device does. He is meticulous with his descriptions, out of this here, into this there giving you a roadmap and making complex devices less intimidating. I’m hooked on this and I’m committed to learning. All of you are extremely helpful and have great insight. It makes this a lot more exciting to have all of you supporting us beginners and it is fun to watch and be a part of it. Sometimes I feel like I’m trying to fix a cuckoo clock with a 4 pound hammer. But after all the lights come on and no magic smoke it’s just so very addictive. Now I just need to learn how to patch it all together.

7 Likes

Keep in mind that as soon as an ADSR gets involved, there has to be some trigger signal to start the ADSR. Sending an audio signal into an ADSR without sending a gate to it, will not give you a lot of sound. Similarly, other modules may need to be set in the right mode to produce sound or pass through sound. They may need a clock or a voltage that sets some frequency (e.g. for a VCO or VCF), but they may also already have a default setting. So if you patch something up and do not hear anything, check whether you forgot to add a clock or a trigger.

7 Likes