Super Simple OSC: Power Issue

Hello again everyone! Sorry for the long time absence it has been some stressful times.

I just finished putting everything on the stripboard but now I have an issue: power. I was wondering what is the best way to power it and how to make the connections:

• 2 9v batteries
  • eurorack power source
  • power supply

My main goal still is to create a drone synth so I’ll build more of these and connect them to a mixer.

Thank you!

1 Like

What transistors are you using? 2×9 V is a good choice when trying to get it to work, but if you want a lot of drones you probably want a 15-18 V DC supply so you don’t have to change batteries all the time. Eurorack’s 12 V is a bit low for most transistors, 2×12=24 V is a bit high but probably works; I think @analogoutput has experimented with that.

2 Likes

I’m using the SS9018. In the case of the power supply, where does it connect when combining like 7 OSC to a mixer? Right now I’m just trying to see if one works because it’s the first thing I’m still building do I think I’m going with the 2x9v and then swith to the power suppy when I’m creating the drone synth.

My question is what am I supposed to use to connect the cables from the stripboard to the batteries?

for a 9V battery generaly we use a stuff like this

but with 2 x 9V it’s seems more complicated

but infact if you use a SS9018 maybe try with a 12V or 15V power supply

with a power socket like this for connected to your circuit

1 Like

Ok thank you! Will look for it and keep trying.

Once I combine the oscillators to the mixer to create the drone synth the power comes from the mixer right?

https://mauser.pt/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=011-0512 --> something like this right?

This is what i use, and what my supply’s size matches:
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-barrel-type-pcb-mount.html

Check what size the jack is for your power supply. The one i linked to was for 2.1mm jacks. The one you linked to i think is 2.5mm, although it is hard for me to tell since i dont see any link to the datasheet or any identifiers that i can look up outside this site. You want to first know what your power supply’s barrel size is before buying these.

1 Like

I’m going to have to buy one since I don’t have a spare so I think I’ll go for the 2.1.

I started with 2x 9V batteries but now I switched to 18V power supply