Phantom Power XLR Microphone to Eurorack

I’ve got an XLR condensor microphone that I’d like to use with my synth, but it seems to take 48v phantom power to work.

Are there any solutions for using these types of devices with a synth? Would I be able to wire up XLR normally and then just amplify the hell out of the signal before sending it to other modules? Or do I need a dedicated external device to power it up before sending it into the synth?

1 Like

Looks like it might be easiest to just get an external pre-amp like this one: https://www.thomann.de/gb/art_tube_mp.htm although I feel like that isn’t as “clean”, since I’ll have to have a box sitting on top of my rig and use a second power socket.

2 Likes

seems like the preamp box would be the easiest answer . if you were to do this as a module you would have 48 volts in your rack . that would make me nervous I know my dumb ass would plug something in wrong and fry things. maybe attach the preamp box to a face plate ?.

1 Like

A cheap behriger preamp would do the job just as well.

3 Likes

Pick up a second hand preamp on eBay. Keep the 48v very separate from your modular and re case the cheap preamp in a kosmo style box and make a feature of it. Sam’s light bulb compressor would look great with phantom power, add a big gain knob, a foot switch/volume, fx loop, fidget spinners, deely boppers, hell anything you like.
Put the box on a bendy arm off the side of your case or hack an old anglepoise lamp for the microphone and preamp… sorry, I’m fizzing with ideas. It’s your synth. If you don’t like a box on top there are many ideas.
Sorry @devicex , this was meant for @BlackDeath

5 Likes