Beginners guide to eurorack

First off, haven’t found any other guide so far and I’m new to all of this. I didn’t even know modular synths were a thing until seeing Sam’s rack mounted twiddly knobs and thought “oh that’s like a mini moog”.

My reason for research is twofold.

1: I bought that vclfo https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/projects#/vclfo and I need a box for it.

2: https://youtu.be/TxNrCcOUws0
Oh wow that’s mental, a casio vl tone but it doesn’t sound shit and all thanks to the mutable instruments clouds module.

So now I’ve established that the sounds I’m making “cud b betta” if I use a fancy box of tricks with nice sounds to further process the “a bit gud, cud b betta” sounds I’m already making.

What I’ve found I need so far;

1: a box to put modules in. It’s base on the 3u 19" rack mount standard. Which leads me to the horrible vision of the future where I have my modular synths and a sever rack pc in one enormous shelf and I’m taking it with me on a plane when on holiday as dawn on a sunny island is the right time for me to be creative. Or, a smaller box what can be folded up into a suitcase which seems sensible. Yeah.

2: a power supply. A quick search for “eurorack power supply” leads to a myriad of choices for a psu and a bus board or flying leads to take power to modules. Haven’t found much about the power standard but it seems to be 12+, 12v- and 5 volts, respectively. Helpfully people who make modules state what voltages their modules take and what current they draw. I’m looking at milliamps. I’m also looking at the prices for the psu’s and I’m thinking "hang on, the ATX power supply standard is 12+ 12- 5 and 3.3 volts as a bonus (maybe two 1.6v incandescent light bulbs? Might be fun). So get an old laptop power supply and use a dc-dc converter. First thing that came to mind was the delightful world of skinned knuckles and swearing galore that is mini itx.

https://www.mini-itx.com/~picoPSU-80

Oh look I found someone that’s had the same idea. Smart guy.

So, that’s it right? Module’s go in, power goes on, twiddle some nobs and you’re the next Brian Eno or Vangelis. Possibly. Some patch cables to link modules and synths together. You will also need talent, that I don’t know where to get or where it comes from.

Bear in mind I’m a complete noob to this. Two months ago I was plonking away at my guitar and thinking about the before times when I visited Gloucester cathedral and lamented not being able to go hear nice organ music.
Now I have two synths. My microkorg and casio vl tone which my uncle has gifted me. I also have the herc abakos software synth which has some lovely sounds too. Already I’m at the stage where I want more and the video above was a revelation. A magic box that transformed the casiotone into something I want to hear.

1 Like

Just a headsup that PC supplies aren’t really optimized for synth use; you want stable +12 V and −12 V, and the rest is mostly irrelevant (barely anyone uses the 5 V rail, boards that do need 5 V usually have their own regulator). That supply you link to isn’t that great in that respect:

(and I think you can build e.g. the FC supply for less than £30.00)

EDIT: Here’s the big power supply thread, with plenty of options:

5 Likes

It’s not clear from your post wether or not you know that Kosmo, the Look Mum Not Computer synthesizer, and the modules that Sam sells are NOT Eurorack size and will not fit in a Eurorack case.
The jacks he uses are also not the same size as Eurorack.
The power supplies are compatible though.

2 Likes

yeah I did see that Konversion: Eurorack to Kosmo and this related post, doesn’t matter, there’s adpators for the jacks and they all run on the same power. The VCLFO can sit in its own box.

Quite interested in the Kosmo conversion, I can see the benefits of the system. But that’s for a later date. For the moment, I just want two modules and see how I do without an amp or patch bay.

Try to check this video out, it might help!

Tip: If you paste the YouTube link on its own line (as plain text, not using the “insert hyperlink” thing), discourse embeds a player, so people can see what you link to without having to click through, and also view it here if they want. Like this:

4 Likes

I hardly knew anything 4 months ago, only stumbled on sams youtube in october by accident…

And have no musical knowldege.

I don’t understand chords, chord progression or a whole lot else.

But I am learning all the modular stuff with the great help of everyone here… I’t becoming a bit life consuming and I have not even powerd up any of my 6 modules yet!!

Good Luck!!!

Rob

5 Likes

I have just foudn this guide which is a beginers beginer guide!

It has a nice little diagram that shows the PATH the signal would normaly take and explains the real basics of the modules.

2 Likes

Here is a different thread I posted - Some videos are in Ref. to KOSMO only, and some (Like Andrew’s videos) are in regards to Eurorack.

5 Likes

Patch and Tweak is an excellent introduction into all that is modular synthesis (including lots of info on euro rack) and beyond. And it has lots of recent modules and synths in it. This kickstarter was a success and you can buy the book now via your favourite bookseller.

3 Likes

Our friend @ChristianBloch posted that marvelous book in the Mail Day thread a couple weeks ago. The associated website has similar free information, but it feels like I should be buying dead-tree content again for some reason. After all, my wife and I have pledged to each other that we’d never move again!

1 Like

Is this wire will be good for DIY or I have go with 28-26 AWG? Price is superb for 250m.

1 Like

It’s cheap because it’s super-thin wire designed for wire wrap construction. General purpose “hookup wire” is usually 22-24 AWG (⌀ ~0.5 mm or ~0.2 mm²).

2 Likes

There’s also this guy who posted about it a couple months ago :grinning:

3 Likes

Wanted to get them digital, but I see no option. All 3 books seems to be great entry stuff!

About wire - they are not too thin looking from electrical/working propeties? In other words, my modules/pedals may have problem with working when I use 30 AWG wire instead of 24? I use 22-24 in designing power distribution, so thats not the case here : )

2 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend it, because when I say thin I mean “both wire and isolation are so thin that it’s hard to work with” (*) but if you think you can manage that go ahead and get a couple of colors and try it out yourself. As you say, they’re not expensive (at least not per meter).

*) unless you’re actually doing wire wrapping, but that requires special tools and connection posts.

3 Likes

Heck, why not, I will give it a try and probably curse during soldering : D Buck Ali and lavendar color : D

1 Like

Yeah, that wasn’t this Scandimerican :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like