Passive multiples, and more

Matthew Skala (from North Coast Synthesis) that we keep linking to :slight_smile: just posted a set of easy-to-build unpowered module designs, starting with eight holes in a narrow front panel and a wiring diagram for a passive multiple, and expanding that to a mixer, an OR combiner for gates and triggers, a fixed attenuator, a low-pass filter, a high-pass filter, and an envelope follower. The article includes a 2HP Eurorack frontpanel, but expanding to Kosmo is of course trivial.

6 Likes

This is quite nice for educational purposes because it collects filters, voltage dividers etc. in one place and shows the applications. Only the colour-coding of the multiple’s front panel is a bit confusing, as it shows inputs in black, while the other modules use white for inputs. Maybe this is just in the PDF, but I have not checked the PCB files.

That is because all modules use the exact same panel, it has the 2x1<->3 silkscreen on one side, and 4x1<->1 on the other.
While it may be (slightly) confusing, it is nice for beginners because you always get at least 5 PCBs when ordering, so you can build 5 different modules with a single order, no waste (or more than 5 if you want, or just don’t make the mult, there are enough other modules in that PDF…)

I think there’s no PCB for this, all components are solder on the jack socket

Yes, all components are soldered directly to the jacks, but the front panel is a PCB…
You find the gerbers in the ZIP file.

1 Like

What is the harm in ordering 6 PCBs? Maybe I’m missing something here? Also, this is not so much about being a beginner, but that you will have to remember that the colour code is reversed one this one specific module. Perhaps I’m nitpicking here :wink:

There is no harm if you can use them all, if not it’s just waste and pollution !

So being able to use the same panel for all modules is a great plus for a small minus…

3 Likes

I don’t know where I found it, but this passive fixed filter module is nice and useful

3 Likes

A passive decay envelope generator:
(play with different capacitor values for change the time of decay)

A passive matrix mixer from
http://www.mickeydelp.com/passive-matrix-mixer

Some passives and cool circuits:

Baxandall passive Filter (tone filter) and a passive mixer/attenuator :

passive-2-band-shelving-equ

electronique_melangeur_audio_passif_004d

Have fun !!

3 Likes

Passive LPG/vca circuits with vactrols are my favorites ! (sorry for my dirty schematics)

This one look like the Mengqin LPG:

My builds, more vactrols integrated on a panel :

Dual Vactrol LPG:

4 Likes

Attenuator, LPG, Warp, mute, switch, Fuzz …
All passive

4 Likes

This isn’t really the right place to post this — this thread is about passive circuits.

3 Likes

Feel free to make a new thread though, things are pretty lax around here!

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll leave the v1 schematic of this same project (Opto-VCA), when it was still passive and functional! :smiley:

SCHEMA ATUALIZADO

2 Likes

Thank you, feel free to visit and comment on the new thread! ^^

3 Likes

I was watching a video on taming the spring reverb in the b2600 grey meanie/blue marvin using a passive 3 band EQ. Does anyone have any suggestions for building one?

My other option is one of the active 5 band EQ boards from AliExpress but shipping has been hit or miss at the moment. :confused: