My build progress

I have them as global… they’re submodules in each git repo so they’ll be easy to grab but if you set them up as global then you don’t have to re-install them every time.

Unfortunately I use more than one footprint, in fact in some projects I put two pots for each one needed with a 9 mm and a 16 mm footprint so you can build either way… so the symbol doesn’t have a footprint filled in.

1 Like

Why not make a combo footprint ?

Absolument fantastique! J’ai surtout utilisé le traducteur pour vous faire ce compliment !

1 Like

Vielen Dank an Sie (auch im Übersetzer übersetzt :wink: )

After a week long struggle I managed to upload these pictures:

On the left you see the KXMX_Bluemchen running a test program. The Bluemchen is an open source platform that can host a Daisy Seed. It provides 2 CV inputs, 2 signal ins and 2 outs, 2 CV-attenuator pots, a rotary encoder and a small oled display.
Although shown here is the standard eurorack format of the Bluemchen, there exists a 1U version of the design. The design of the electrical bits may be of interest to KOSMO users in order to interface the Daisy Seed to the outside world.

The Daisy Seed is piggy backed on the Bluemchen.

9 Likes

What is the big box between the capacitors?

Looks like a Mornsun B2405S-1WR2 to me :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a DC-DC converter, 24V (?!?) to 5V.
PDFs can’t be attached, so here a link to the datasheet…

3 Likes

From the schematic it seems that’s correct, it’s using the ±12 V rails as a 24 V supply — I can only guess as to the reason, maybe to double the current capacity.

2 Likes

Well FINALLY. Voltage controlled 4046 wave shaper. I started thinking about this project in summer 2020, and after several failed attempts (and much procrastination), tonight I put together what I think is a working version. I’ll test it some more tomorrow and if nothing nasty turns up I’ll write it up here.

Added: Also tomorrow, I probably should solder that ground pin.

Added yet later: And I should install the shunt voltage reference.

Guess it works pretty OK with just the ~11 V divided from the rail but really…

Also, I realized I used a linear pot where I meant to have an audio one. I’m amazed anything works.

14 Likes

I asked the maker of the KXMX_Bluemchen and this is his reply:

The 24-5V converter is used (on the Daisy Patch as well) because the STM32H7 of the Daisy Seed can draw significant spikes of current when processing. By spanning +12V…-12V on the input side of the isolated DC-DC converter, we’re effectively splitting this current draw (and whatever changes in potential occur because of it) across both rails, and halves the chance of it being coupled as audible noise.

Indeed, a quick search for “Daisy 1khz noise” (libDaisy default block size is 48 @ a 48kHz sample rate) will reveal that many have struggled with this problem. You’ll also notice that the devices that suffer from this noise are those with a single sided power supply: Pod, Petal, etc… The Patch (and kxmx_bluemchen/nehcmeulb) were always “immune” to this problem because of exactly this power supply design.

2 Likes

Besides the wave shaper, today I built two other modules:

Okay, they consist of a power header, two resistors, and two LEDs, but they count. They’re Kosmo-ish, 20 cm high but only about 2 cm wide, to take up the awkward gaps at the side of my not-a-multiple-of-25-mm case. Which is getting full enough that it’s hard to see the LEDs on the power supplies now.

8 Likes

I have from time to time, one of my cases which at start-up does not light up the -12V led, I turn it off and turn on it again and everything is fine.
Fortunately, my DIY panels are not dimensioned to the nearest mm, I have small small slots between the modules, and I carefully check all the power leds by these mini slots each time they are switched on.

In any case very good idea, much more practical, if I had space I would put it everywhere :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m seeing the same thing. Not sure how to address it.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that it could be because of digital module, but … ?

1 Like

Thats a nice idea, I also have some gaps that could benefit from this. I might have a little procrastination, as I have 2 psu’s per row, with a spare 20mm, so maybe two sets of indicators per panel. However 2x5 power headers on now on backorder, I have 3 left until 24 December, pcb’s in the post, and my first attempt at a stripboard module, all requiring them.

That makes three of us. When this happens, when I unplug the wall wart and the caps start to discharge then the led comes on briefly, until discharged. All 5 of my FC PSU’s suffer from this intermittently.

1 Like

I’m guessing all of you are using non switching power supplies? If so, then maybe the current drawn by an empty balancing capacitor may be too high at startup for a regulator causing it to switch off. And after repeated on/of switching the capacitor gets charged a bit thus lowering the current so after a while all seems fine? A resistor in series with the capacitor could maybe remedy this.

My 2 cents.

5 Likes

Hmm, but why on the -12V side? I thought that one use usually less stressed?

3 Likes

Capacitor in the PSU, or in the module?

I sort of figured that sort of thing was happening, but why? They’re standard module power configurations with 10 µF on each rail to ground.

I do use diodes in series and not 10R resistors, could that make the difference?

2 Likes

That is a similarity between us, well on my own modules I do, 10-ohm resistors when specified by others.

The difference is my -12v rails are fine, will always be the +12v rail that requires a repower. I get the same on all 5 of my PSU’s, but not normally at the same time, and only once or twice a week.

2 Likes

I’m actually not sure which rail this is happening on — too hard to see the LEDs! Until now.

3 Likes