My build progress

Flower power :slight_smile:

20 cheap power cables, yes I know itā€™s still old-fashioned, but itā€™s very cheap and it works (now I donā€™t even use the crimps anymore)

I finished a VCDO from @HAGIWO

and today i work on the Twin T Drumer from Sam

have a good day :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ll just need to draw it and clean up the code so that I can show it to anyone. The more frustrated I get, the more vulgar variable names get.
Also I should learn, that while optimization is a good practice, optimization to ā€œperfectā€ is never worth it, ā€œgood enoughā€ is in practice just as good. Also, too optimized code, especially in C, tends to increase the ā€œwtfā€™s per minuteā€ -factor of the code. Which is never a good thing.

2 Likes

I designed them myself. This is the 2nd iteration. With extra ground planes to hopefully ward off some mains humm, and a different way of mounting the switch.

4 Likes

I once took a class where the instructor gave two rules for optimization:

1. Donā€™t optimize
  2. Donā€™t optimize yet

i.e. (he said) optimization usually isnā€™t necessary and causes more problems than it solves, but if you really do need to optimize to get acceptable performance, do it very late in the development process after everything is working.

2 Likes

Active saturday morning I have. A six to one mixer in 3 HP with volume control for two of the inputs. I didnā€™t even watch any schematic while building it, and didnā€™t yet test it. Thereā€™s always a possibility to fail something simple.

6 Likes

Another way of looking at it is ā€œif you donā€™t (or canā€™t) measure it, you canā€™t optimize itā€.

That is, get something simple working that is easy to understand - then measure it, then decide if it needs optimization or not.

Cheers

1 Like

Looks really great !

Productive morning! Made a four channel mixer from the ā€˜super simple mixerā€™ layout. Despite being ā€œsuper simpleā€ I still managed to make a few mistakes.

First, I made a mistake in my panel, putting the holes for the pots too close together vertically by maybe 1.5mm. Fortunately, I cut them for larger diameter shaft pots, thinking thatā€™s what the local shop had in stock, but they had thinner ones, so I was able to turn the pots sideways, nudge them up in the hole and tighten down the nuts, giving just enough room.

Then, I soldered in the power shroud wrong. Snip snip the one side, tape the other, good enough.

Then after powering it up I realized that I added an extra input but forgot to put in a resistor for it or leave a spot. So I put a resistor in on the back side.

Happy to say in the end it all works. Now that Iā€™ve got two filters, three(ish) oscillators and a sub osc, I was limited in patching having just one three chanel mixer. Now Iā€™ve got enough channels to use everything, and I did up another panel so I can make another one quickly.

I put an extra hole in the panel for a master volume then decided in the end I didnā€™t really need one, seeing as Iā€™m feeding it into another mixer anyway. so eventually Iā€™ll probably make new panels, delete that, resize the holes and space them out better. The panels wider than it needs to be as well, but I find my AI mixer to feel cramped sometimes, so until I run out of rack space Id prefer a bit of extra room.

Later today Iā€™ll mount the PCB properly (itā€™s just taped in place for now for ease of testing), and do a buffered mult if I have time.

3 Likes

Got the Euclidean Rhythm Generator up and running! Iā€™ll post schematic, code and demos when Iā€™ve got everything properly documented. PCBs will be available!

17 Likes

I. WANT!!!

Gotta clear up my project backlog first tho.

4 Likes

I managed to get the I2C Oled display working on my experimental Daisy Seed development board.

The SPI display on the left is refusing to work so far. To be on the safe side I checked it with an arduino and it is ok, so it must be a wiring or driver issue. Oh well ā€¦

2 Likes

Hashing out an idea, does anybody know what these connectors are called?

Messing with the auto-orchestra I found the pin I need to pull to sync to other gear.

Itā€™s a very slow metronome so I right now I have it running thru a pamelas new workout to multiply the frequency. But eventually want a real clock out onboard.

I think I know a way to get the note select footswitch to also drive the Kosmo if I can find a connector/cable

3 Likes
3 Likes

You can get breakout boards for these, e.g.

You may want to shop around a bit for reasonable shipping, and you can probably find them from local suppliers too for faster delivery.

Also note that VGA uses 15 pins but in 3 rows, so double check that you get the right version.

2 Likes

Boring but important - built a buffered mult last night using a layout from the verified stripboard lounge.

I think itā€™s working but donā€™t know for sure. My second and third oscillators at the moment are from Chipz, which has tuning issues even when plugged directly in from my keyboard. I really just use Chipz for the LFOs so Iā€™m not concerned there, but wanted a buffered mult for when I get Bassline finished up.

I like the way the colour turned out for the panel though. I might do the other panels I havenā€™t painted yet in the same paint.

3 Likes

5 EuRolz almost ready to go!

After my first SMT Assembly through JLC, I had to build one up and make sure they worked!

They do :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hagiwo quad lfo and gate nunchuck :stuck_out_tongue:

I naively tweaked the code to disable nunchuck mode on the knobā€¦seems to work :+1:

Easy build and nice mod sources on a tight budgetā€¦ messy build as usual .

6 Likes

Today I almost finished the Twin T Drummer circuit (# 2700) with stripboard.

I started from the stripboard version of Sam, which I modified with the # 2700 schem

honestly it made my brain smoke a bit, but I hope itā€™s good !

I did not have a stripboard high enough to add the end of the circuit with the 2 more opamps, I had to glue another plate with hot glue, and thatā€™s it

8 Likes

2 old school bus board :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No 5 V line needed here?