My build progress

No 5V in all my cases, the few modules that needed it (keyboard seq, big button, Quantizer, VCLFO …) use regulators, and that’s fine for me :slight_smile:
Do you have 5V ? for what use ? maybe I’m missing something

1 Like

In stead of having the 5 volt made on a per module basis I have a central 5V supply, similar to the -12 and +12.

1 Like

Maybe you have a lot of 5V modules ?
on 72 modules i think i have only 5 or 6 5V modules, so I did not see too much use for the moment .

2 Likes

I have an oscilloscope (based on an arduino) in each rack. And there are some fx-modules.

1 Like

It is true that it seems more practical, but in fact the few 5V future module for me will be arduino, and now that I have learned that we can use the Vin with 12V, I think that my next modules with arduino will also be powered in + 12V directly.

And yet 16 pin connectors?

I too have never built or owned a module that used external 5 V. Two use a 5 V regulator and a couple others use the 5 V from a Nano powered from 12 V.

My Kosmo power supplies have no 5 V rail and 10 pin bus boards. My Eurorack power supply can deliver only 170 mA at 5 V, so I certainly would not be able to drive many Arduinos with it if I chose to do that.

2 Likes

At the beginning I had recovered a small stock of female 2 x 8 pin, then I always continued like that (?). I leave an empty row between each rail, so 2 x 6 would be more suitable, but now I still have a small stock … :grin:

1 Like

While I have plenty of 5v modules, most of them have their own regulator. Still I decided to stick with 16 pin connectors on the bus board, just for the simple fact that I can connect a 10 pin module to a 16 pin bus, but not vice versa.

3 Likes

I use 16 pins on my modules. The 5V is central and distributed to all modules - only one uses it at the moment, a STM32 based ADSR. I do also use the CV and GATE pins from the eurorack standard - I have CV normalled to the VCO and via a switch to the VCF for keyboard tracking, and GATE normalled to the VCA and ADSR. My build is more an instrument than a rack though - I have a GATE and CV socket on the power board that then distributes it to all the modules via the 16 pins.

Cheers

3 Likes

Whereas I figure if I ever find myself with a 16 pin module I can always put it on the one PSU I have with 16 pin distribution. But since that’s yet to happen my other bus boards are all 10 pin; they’re quicker to build and take up less room. Of course I’m mainly doing Kosmo these days which has no 5V in its spec.

3 Likes

Yesterday I almost finished my Dual Sloth Chaos (NLC), “Sloth Chaos” (1 cycle = approx 15 sec) & “Apathy Chaos” (1 cycle = approx 1 min )

5 Likes

Is this the layout you’re using?

1 Like

And also, whats it do?

2 Likes
4 Likes

yes it is, just changed a few locations a bit, I left a lot of empty space in this layout.
Not yet tested :grinning:

2 Likes

a sort of LFO very (or very very ) slow, and with not “regular” cycle.
and you can build with different time cycle : approx 15 sec, 1 min, 15 min or 1h !!!

5 Likes

I’ve made 2 micro circuits today, a dual Positivizer combined with a dual Attenuverter

5 Likes

i think i might be even more confused.

Im guessing is like a 2d modulation source?

Sounds like an LFO, which probably means that it was only affecting half of the circle, or one dimension was hooked up?

Awesome, I look forward to hearing if it works! Would definitely be interested in giving this one a shot, I think I’ve got everything needed.

1 Like

Sorry, i won’t be able to test my new modules for a while (not yet ordered to make the power supply), but the circuit was quite simple and I check all 3 times, so I am rather confident in my stripboard, … but an error is always possible :grinning: