Music share thread - Share your work!

That was just… hypnotic? “Steak Frites?” Is that Danish for chips? I’d second the vote for the Bontempi. I wanted one of those as a kid, real bad.

1 Like

Frites is fries/chips in French and many (northern) European languages, so that’s just a random reference to steak with fries. Belgium’s national dish, apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_frites

(see the other Danish band I linked to for many more meat references)

4 Likes

The Danes do love their meat. As a vegetarian, that’s one of the things I miss the least :smiley:

3 Likes

a composition that I had recorded a few years ago.
i play guitars, bass and programmation

3 Likes

I did a thingie.
Kinda inspired by Hainbach’s Impulse Generator album.
I love the way he brings new elements into the creative chaos!

6 Likes

I definitely hear the Hainbach/Alessandro Cortini in it!

1 Like

another composition that I had recorded a few years ago, with a friend of mine who play the bagpipe

3 Likes

Quick and dirty. Main notes are D, A flat, A, and if you’re that interested I can share the microkorg preset file. This is why I’m trying to learn music theroy. I know these notes go well but I have no idea what this note progression is called (I want to say pentatonic scale but all I know is a lot of black notes are used and it sounds vaguely oriental) and that way have a book say “these following notes and chords are compatible with what you’re doing.”

It’s very quiet as I didn’t use a microphone boost in the recording but normalised it later on and the last bit is very loud so most of the thing is very quiet.

1 Like

Did you see the new pictures from the set in Vanity Fair? I love the stink about Liet Keins being cast as a woman of color. (There was nothing in the novel that made it important for that character to have white skin or a dong. All s/he did was keep secrets and die.) Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho is brilliant too. He’s from the Des Moines area, but about a decade behind me so I never would have seen him in extracurricular activities. I wonder if they’ll do the whole Ghola thing (providing they make it to Messiah, God-Emperor, Chapterhouse, etc…)

Oh and your scale is probably the D Natural Minor.

I wouldn’t mind a Dune Anime, like Legends of the Galactic Heroes, but it’s just not suitable for film and I like the David Lynch Dune.

1 Like

I would rather say a A phrygian dominant scale

2 Likes

That word sounds bad as and reminds me of Rome total war.

I’ve been on a bit of a rabbit hole and ended up listening to flamenco music which I love, and I suppose when I started I wanted to play it on the guitar.

Then I was reminded of this song.

Then listened to that.

Then heard this. A song I’m so familiar with but hearing it like this is amazing. What a difference in feeling, yet it’s the same song! Feels like being told a joke with different timing.
Thanks very much for sussing out what it was I was trying to do in my brutish way. All of this sounds a lot more refined than what I knock out but I have plenty of study to do. I’ll see if I can get further with this.

Brilliant! To Dud’s point, with just three notes it could Phrygian mode-especially (if I recall my 3-decades-old theory classes) since it would have to resolve to the D for it to be Dm, but modes never really resolve in the harmonic progression sense that scales do. (Did I get that right, @Dud?)

And as far as the word sounding bad goes, it really is the dirtiest sounding mode name, isn’t it? It sounds to me like a present progressive tense of something that worms who are into cosplay would do at an orgy.

1 Like

worms who are into cosplay would do at an orgy.

Not up to date with ancient era fandom, so not sure what the Phrygians were cosplaying as back then, but they sure had fancy leggings and stylish shields.

3 Likes

A phrygian Dominant the 5th mode of Dm Harmonic mode :wink:
or “the spanish scale”

2 Likes

DISCLAIMER:
A lot of this stuff is subjective and can be represented many different ways. This is just my thoughts on a useful way to analyze this.

Fremen said the notes played are: D, G#/Ab, A.

However, I transcribed this and the notes are actually:

D, G, A#/Bb, C#Db

https://soundcloud.com/causticatastrophe/freman-example

4 notes is not a lot to go off of, and therefore gives a lot of room for interpretation but this is how i see it:

The tonic sounds like it is D, sounds pretty resolved there. Even the second phrase resolves to D an octave down, reinforcing this. So it would make since to me to start here.

The characteristic change for Phrygian is the flat 2nd interval. That’s the only difference between it and Aeolean. This must mean that in order to be considered, the 2nd should be predominant in the melody/harmony.

Phrygian dominant’s 3rd is raised a semitone from the original Phrygian.

If we stick with the idea that D is the tonic, it cannot be Phrygian or Phrygian dominant.

D Phrygian:

D, D#/Eb, F, G, A, A#/Bb, C

D Phrygian Dominant:

D, D#/Eb, F#/Gb, G, A, A#/Bb, C

The Eb (the 2nd interval that is characteristic of Phrygian) is absent from play and as such lacks any expression that would indicate Phrygian. Also, both Phrygian examples lack the Db/C# that is played.

The only thing i can think of that would fit would be something like a D Harmonic Minor.

D Harmonic Minor

D, E, F, G, A, A#/Bb, C#/Db

With this in mind, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (E, F, G) could be different than above, so it can be several different things. Hell, it could be Tetratonic. The point here isn’t to be “right” since there are way too many directions this can go, but rather to show many ways this “can” go. D Harmonic Minor makes the most sense to me, based on what i perceive as a tonic of D. That’s the great thing about music, its an art, and art is about making people feel shit. Theory is just a way to attempt to deliberately, not accidentally do this.

This reminds me that I need to update my harmony chart to do the modes of harmonic minor. Since Phrygian Dominant is a mode of harmonic minor, it would have been easier to spot this.

Here’s the link to the one i did for the modes of C major:

3 Likes

i have not said D phrygian dominant, but A so it’s also D m Harmonic, it’s the same scale, but
actually it is rather Dm H :wink:

2 Likes

Right, that wasnt a correction on my part, just that i thought it would be more useful to me to have the D as the tonic. Relative modes and all that jizzjazz.

3 Likes

Thanks for the long effortpost. Tomorrow I’ll plug the synth into the computer so I can read the settings as I remember the second oscillator square wave layer is a few semitones out, and I can’t remember what I did with the first.

Listening to the above examples I later found, especially the flamenco, it’s something I want to try for myself. However there’s a lot of delay between when I press a key and hearing it swell to full volume. Gotta say I’m eager for tomorrow when I can try something more sprightly but with similar timings.

I’m especially interested in the Jesu, joy of man’s desiring done phrygian style. I found that delightful.

2 Likes