Music share thread - Share your work!

Ok, so it’s now tomorrow and I’m sat here with the tool on my lap and I’m looking at the notes.
I see A, A flat, F then D. It’s quite fun playing just those four notes going up or down, or going A, A flat, F, then A, A flat, D.

For some reason the sound editor will not let me save my settings to file so I’ve done a screenshot so I can show you all the ins and outs of how this sound is made.

2 Likes

That -7 on OSC2 produces a Tritone interval. This is what is giving the synth such an uneasy feeling.

I will check again, but i was pretty certain about the notes i was hearing.

2 Likes

Funnily enough this morning I was looking at tritones and I was told it was 6 semitones up or down.

I tried it, on this preset and yeah it sounds proper sinister!

1 Like

Its not up OR down. Its only 6 when you go up, its 7 when you go down.

3 Likes

Huh interesting. Tomorrow I’ll have a go with that and listen to the difference. I’ll use an organ so it’s a simple sine wave.

What’s going on with the ratios of one note to another? I can’t even remember how many notes in an octave there are as it’s not eight. I’m curious now if the same ratio were applied to colours if it’d have a similar effect.

1 Like

Music theory is complicated, dont feel bad to be overwhelmed. There -are- 8 notes in an octave though.

2 Likes

8 notes, maybe (for some suitable definition of “note”) but 12 semitone intervals.

1 Like

Just to be clear, the same melody will sound familiar even if it is transposed up or down. However, looking at the first note, the fundamental frequency is D2. Which means either you mis-identified the note or the fundamental that originally would have defined the tonality was removed from the output sound. You do see this when your LFO modulated the pitch frequency and the aliasing chops off the fundamental producing a higher pitched sound suddenly.

Here i wrote the same 2 melodies you wrote, one with my interpretation, and the other with yours. My synth part is layered on top of yours.

Your interpretation (notice there are fundamentals below the notes you hear):

My interpretation:

The harmonics also seem to align with the notes i heard.

Notice that the D that you heard as A is the 2nd fundamental, this shows how you definitely -did- hear that A, or the D fundamental was layered on because of your synth’s settings.

Also, sorry for the tangent. If we want to discuss this further, lets make a new topic. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey @Dud is your Thomas Henry bd++ the same as the strip board layout available around? Sounds badass

1 Like

hello, about witch vid you speak plz ?

1 Like

I’m doing a Dune Let’s play and I use the flight time from one place to another to have a tinkle on the ivories. But the levels are far too hot and all the nice triangle waves get clipped and horribly distorted.

So, I did the song again today, with less enthusiasm, but better.

3 Likes

My latest release is now available for actual (as opposed to preorder) purchase

7 Likes

Okay let’s try this again. Will youTube think it’s still spam?

Also I love RoyaltyFreeTube.
5 Likes

Yay its back! With a neat coat of paint!

1 Like

Testing out the new setup, short jam.

2 Likes

Nice way to start my Saturday! I could almost feel Bill Withers standing off to the side ready to come in wailing. Did you use the Ducky 3d tut for the Blender loop? I tried to and screwed up the mirroring somehow.

Nah, it’s a visualization that reacts to the peaks in audio. It’s a composite of several effects with my new logo I through together. Noticed that my old one looked like another synthwave artist, it was just a placeholder anyways.

2 Likes

Had some fun this morning:

Using Look Mum No Computer ADSR, Doepfer A-157 Trigger Matrix, A-103 18dB Low Pass, A-106-5 SEM Filter, Music Thing Modular Chord Organ, Haraldswerk Modulation Sequencer, Hex Inverter Nein Oh Nein BD, Thomas Henry BD++, SoundForce 808 Kick and Snare, and more…

4 Likes

Good vibe. Reminds me of some of the stuff that the best of the best have done at various points. (Moby early 90’s, Aphex Twin early 2000s, etc.)

4 Likes

Delay Drone Ambient Jam

2 Likes