Morse Code Module

Hi everyone!

I want to share with you a little module I designed/made. It’s inspired after the telegraph machine Sam put in the museum. This module takes .txt files on an sd card and generates a Morse code gate signal. It has both internal and external clocks and a built-in clock divider.

I’ve uploaded some simple patch samples to the Facebook group. The possibilities are so much larger than Morse-like sounds. Morse code is intrinsically quite rythmic, so think of it as a pseudo-random gate generator.

The full schematic and Arduino firmware can be found here:

https://github.com/TimMJN/Arduino-Morse-Gate-Generator

Hope you enjoy this and have fun with it!

Tim

18 Likes

This is flipping awesome.

2 Likes

Oh thats genius!

Now the little folk can tell Richard Branson to do one in their experemental music too :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What a rad project! No small feat!

2 Likes

This is awesome I’m building one!

1 Like

Awesome! Stoked to see what you will do with it!

Which sd slot did you use? And do you literally put dots and dashes in the .txt file?

I used one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Module-Storage-Adapter-Interface-Arduino/dp/B07PFDFPPC

Don’t know where you are shopping from, but they should be easy to find.

Annd no! The translation into Morse is handled by the Arduino. The txt file can contain any text. Those samples I posted were excerpts from the bible! Holy smokes!

4 Likes

Awesome I ordered some. Thanks for sharing!

Here’s my go at a pcb. I think leaving the SD reader behind the panel will be the easiest way to handle it, and I think that will be totally ok for me. Thanks again for sharing man excited to play with it after my next JLC order

7 Likes

yeeesssssssss :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: @#%^$ body is clear as can be >:( lol

3 Likes

Looks totally cool man!! What does it say around the edges? (:

2 Likes

Something along the lines of “tusnapgnwyzoqmdmnabbejiueyaskj”

2 Likes

Technically doesn’t say anything because there are no spaces between letters…

1 Like

Definitely calls for a little easter egg in there! Mine says ‘telegraph’, but I’m sure you can come up with something!

1 Like

“don’t be scared to try it”

4 Likes

“Oh what a plonker!!” :grin:

5 Likes

This looks awesome! If you have any spares from the JLC order you’d be happy to part with I could be interested! It depends if there’s some kind of BOM though, as I am shite at reading schematics. :smiley:

3 Likes

This is Very Cool. Nice work!

1 Like

I was putting this together on stripboard and had a general question.

I got my power situation set up on the board (minus the L78L09), but when I measure the output of the L78L05 I get something like 11v. Is this because it is not under load? Am I missing something?