Modular grid thoughts?

Please in which “Function” can i put a Wave Shaper and a Sub osc module ?

1 Like

How about “effect”?
20 chars

1 Like

I’d lean in favor of “wave shaper” and “sub osc”. But you can specify multiple functions so maybe “wave shaper, effect” and “sub osc, effect”. Hey, does my script strip out the space when it splits by commas? I should check.

Nope, it doesn’t! I’d better fix that. Meanwhile: “Wave Shaper,Effect” and “Sub Osc,Effect” (convention is to capitalize title-style).

OK, bug fixed. Download again!

2 Likes

Yeah that sounds good! Allows both general and specific filtering.

I should probably add “Effect” to Megamodule.

Why don’t we use the standard Modular Grid function namings? It seems like everything is covered and we don’t need to bother sorting conflicts.

1 Like

Those MG functions being:

Attenuator
Blank Panel
Clock Generator
Clock Modulator
Comparator
Controller
CV Modulation
Delay
Digital
Distortion
Drum
Dual/Stereo
Dynamics
Effect
Envelope Follower
Envelope Generator
Equalizer
Expander
Expression
External
Filter
Frequency Divider
Function Generator
Fuzz
LFO
Logic
Low Pass Gate
MIDI
Mixer
Multiple
Noise
Oscillator
Panning
Phase Shifter
Pitch Shifter 
Polarizer
Power
PreAmp
Quad
Quantizer
Random
Reverb
Ring Modulator
Sample and Hold
Sampling
Sequencer
Slew Limiter
Switch
Synth Voice
Tube
Tuner
Utility
VCA
Video
Waveshaper

(But I can think right away of some I’d want to add; my Noise Bells for instance is Percussion, but not Drum, and also Drone. OK, could use Oscillator, probably should, but I think Drone is a useful addition.)

2 Likes

Ah I thought I had to choose from the list offered in “Function” on the page.
But if everyone can chooses their own definition, there is no risk of multiplying the choices and not being so clear ?
like the duplicate of VCF & Filter for example.

@analogoutput why do you think that the Noise Bell is not also a drum module ?

That’s a risk unfortunately, but it’s something I can manage. I just need to keep a better eye out for it. I’ll correct the duplication now. I’ll stick with the modular grid naming and use Filter instead of VCF

2 Likes

Because it’s bell or arguably cymbal sounds. Bells and cymbals aren’t drums. Percussion, yes, drums, no.

For me a “standard” set drum have a kick, a snare, a high hat, a high toms, a middle tom, a low tom and cymbals (ride & crash)

but maybe you think this like in classical music with the cymbals and drum, yes it’s percussion

drum (drum “rock”) and drum (classic drum) it’s the same word for 2 differents things ?

in french Batterie and Tambour

btw sometime i use this module to make some snare too :wink:

Happy ! some of my modules on it (thx @jackb :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Already up to nearly 2/3 of Modcan A!

6 Likes

Now we need @CTorp 's k25 series.

3 Likes

i see that there are 2 “Clock divider” in “function” cathegory :wink:
(one have 1module (mine), and the other have a different one (Tim one))

Case sensitive string comparison :slight_smile:
Clock _d_ivider vs. Clock _D_ivider

1 Like

Well, I kept myself away from running python all my life … but now it’s time.
I would like to register 2 of my modules :stuck_out_tongue:
One is an Arpeggiator and the other is a multiple probabilistic gate.
I can imagine the gate thing would be “Logic” in terms of Function right?
And the arpeggiator would be “Sequencer” ?

2 Likes

@jackb, what are your plans for the direction and extend to take this platform? We already see some confusion arising here, which (obviously) will only grow with the platform.

I would absolutely be in favour of some type of backend, with forms to add (and maintain) module listings. Also, fixed options for the module functions and types.

This, of course, does require some of your time to develop and maintain. So that’s definitely something for you to consider. In that case, please also add a Paypal donation button, I don’t think significant effort should go unrewarded.

Thanks for all the work you’ve been putting so far!!

4 Likes

I initially wanted to minimise the amount of effort on my end to test whether the idea was even worth pursuing. I think that’s been more than proven and thank you to all the early adopters who have put up with the fairly janky method of adding modules.

I agree that the time has come to do something more sophisticated. It will probably be a few weeks before I get a chance to work on it properly and get it deployed. Watch this space.

4 Likes

Thanks, good luck, and let us know if you need any testing etc. Cheers!

3 Likes