Mail Day Thread

Ah, the Pacific CV controller I’ve seen before. I must have read your instructables once or twice.

1 Like

It could have been even cheaper. The company that makes this case gives the list price as £16.97 inc. VAT, so getting free postage involved a modest price bump.

2 Likes

Seriously? Wow-I’m quite flattered to hear it! I really need to do a PCB version of that. The spaghetti wires are just dying to fall apart. It’s a wonder it works when it does!

4 Likes

A few months ago (before this place was created) I was considering the Volca Modular and so I read a lot about West Coast synthesis, and also started to investigate Eurorack. That’s when I must have seen your DIY articles.

1 Like

@Jos

I came across the AS-6408 when building Controller for QLC, it uses MIDI.

Was a work in progress and we had it up and running fine…

http://www.tobin-stage.co.uk/2019/08/20/qlc-physical-interaction/

It’s cool when you use the CORE module… there is something wrong in the docs though, I had to trim the voltage to the pots down from my supply voltage as the duino can’t sense the voltage if its riding above vcc on the analog inputs.

4 Likes

Looking at section 28 of the ATMega328 datasheet (ADC - Analog to Digital Converter) it’s a bit of a minefield. It recommends connecting AVcc to Vcc via a LC network to cancel digital noise (Figure 28-9.) There are all kinds of caveats. I wonder how the board design and firmware work with those constraints.

1 Like

New mixer! Replacing an ancient Radio Shack that went unused a long time and then wouldn’t power on.

8 Likes

Hey @analogoutput ive been wondering, is there any utility to getting one of these mixers if my workflow uses an audio interface + DAW? Ive been just grabbin the audio and using the software mixer etc. Just curious if you know something i dont. I get its prolly for when you want to eliminate the computer from the equation, but im just making sure.

2 Likes

Got my Knobs from Tayda days ago, finally went out to get them today.

4 Likes

Yeah, it would be to get some hands-on. With your big Behringer interface, you already have the attenuation.

2 Likes

Does your interface have enough inputs? I have a 1-input interface.

Partly it’s to mix other stuff (mic, other instruments) with the synth. (Or without the synth.) I also have thoughts of other uses but those thoughts need maturing…

3 Likes

I have the behringer u-phoria umc404hd.

• 4 inputs
  • 4 outputs
  • MIDI I/O
  • MIC preamps with phantom power yada yada

Added benefit that it makes the DAW experience better with less latency.
$178 new, but you can usually talk with people to get at least 15% off.

The pad and line/inst toggles are great. Been using the midi a lot to control various bits n bobs too. 0 problems, and is easy to use.

6 Likes

I like to have a Mixer mixer for some types of composition. If you’re hoping to capture a performance with more than one voice then the live mixer is nice (if final.) If that’s not what you’re setting out to do on a given patch or setup then usually you can get away quite nicely with an interface even half as robust as the Behringer. There’s also the issue of tactility to the mix-feeling the long throw, the extension of the knob-per-function workflow that you might be used to with modular units.

4 Likes

It feels like most are pretty happy with it. I’m not. Had driver issues. It was a real nuisance. Never have issues again since I upgraded.

3 Likes

I have every version Korg has put out of these and I absolutely love them still today. You will have fun with this and they are especially great for live performances or DJ sets.

4 Likes

I absolutely love it , especially limiting myself to an odd scale and stuff. It’s really inspiring. About to order a micro Korg to pair with it and prep for performances at the end of the year.

4 Likes

I don’t have to ask – you needed one component, but couldn’t really motivate buying enough of them to reach the $5 threshold, so you clicked around a bit and suddenly you had a $50 order in the cart, so it felt about right to press order. And then you realized that you forgot one thing, so you added it to your wishlist but then you thought you might as well click around a bit more, and suddenly you had another $50 order in the cart, so it… and that’s how you end up with three pink bags with a total of eighty 330k resistors that you still don’t remember what build they were meant for.

6 Likes

After two months of waiting for 10 pin IDC. I bit the bullet and order more from UK today…

Boll@#@!#@s

Oh well I will have spares…

5 Likes

More pink bags

That should be all of them for this week. But I put in a new order last night. And today I have 19 items in my wishlist.

6 Likes

Wow… I’ve had this happen, right down to these resistor values. With me, the pink bags may sit on the workbench unopened for a couple weeks before I decide to find a place for the goodies within.

3 Likes