Mail Day Thread

As always you take simple circuit bends into another level : D Great mod man.

3 Likes

Got some electronics I ordered from China and they added some face masks?!
They must think we need them here.

7 Likes

Yeah, PCBWay sent me some a while back with an order.

1 Like

Huhā€¦ Iā€™m used to little candy packets or keyring or something-I guess they moved on to something a little more utilitarian. Quite thoughtful! (As long as theyā€™re not saying ā€œOh, by the way, you might want to put this on before you unbox.ā€)

3 Likes

A cute little aluminium case for my Crave. Ā£20 post free via Amazon. Ordered last Friday. It comes with a cubed foam inner so you just use a knife to cut a space for your item.

8 Likes

Iā€™m actually expecting four different Tayda shipments this week (donā€™t ask, itā€™s not even interesting), but this is the big one. I have a long list of synth projects nearly every one of which has been stalled because it needed parts. This should break that logjam, or at least move it further down the river.

Diodes and resistors / capacitors / more capacitors / semiconductors / more semiconductors / sockets and headers / pots and knobs; Nanos / wire / heat shrink / switches / hardware / Molex and jacks.

8 Likes

The cheap piezo elements I mentioned earlier just arrived, together with some minor bits and bobs (pic also has some locally produced custom knobs; experimenting with different colour schemes).

I guess I could do a bit of building, but my workbench is a mess; I decided to go through a couple of boxes with random stuff and put everything where it should be, but I keep finding unexpected things (a bunch of 4017s? why & when did I order these 4.3 V zeners? and ten 330k resistors?? etc) so now my workspace is full of random stuff too.

5 Likes

those knobs look neat Fredrik!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about that aluminium case, which is light but robust and comes with decent handles, catches, hinges etc for a bargain price. I wonder if I could build a mini modular directly into such a case. I donā€™t have a conceivable use for such an instrument but itā€™s a very tempting notion.

3 Likes

Ahh the 6408, I have 3 of theseā€¦ they are great, I had the plugin CORE duino tooā€¦ I have a PCB Footprint to allow the 6408 to be used as a daughter board :slight_smile:

Rob

2 Likes

Ah, that reminds me, I think I may have a use for analogue multiplexer boards. What are your plans for the AS-6408?

2 Likes

Thanks! Theyā€™re part of a series (and I have some more variants as well), designed to fit in with the panels Iā€™m using.

I think I need to tweak some printer settings, though; the small red & gray ones printed today donā€™t look as good as the white ones printed a bit back. But thatā€™s 3D printing for youā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m working on this idea of building a midi controller. It will have lots of knobs, buttons, rotary encoders, several displays, lots of modestly blinking lights (I donā€™t like the modern bright LEDs), sliders and joysticks, ultrasonic sensors, several small status displays, an AI-core based on a Kendryte K210 (SOC which has machine hearing capabilities) which will act like a recommendation system, recommending which knob to turn next etc. It will produce and consume / record / replay midi data. It will breath CV.

In other words, the ultimate controller of all controllers ever !
(add some epic sounding music here with lots of reverb)

Its working name is ā€œKnopfwerkā€ ā„¢. It will be an enhanced version of Knob-O-Matic which I wrote about in an earlier post:

The AS6408 will be usable for scanning the sliders and various potentiometers.

6 Likes

Braids module, plus conversion plate and blanks from @d42kn355. Dude these turned out really nice! Fits right in (physically and style). Thanks again brother!

7 Likes

Aluminum cases like that, of all sizes, are in fact often used for modular synths. Typically youā€™d get one that has a deep enough lid that you can put modules in both the top and bottom.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll go get the popcorn. Should be fun :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually not a million miles away from what I am thinking of. I donā€™t actually have any plans yet but I know whatever it is will probably involve digital switching of analogue signals. Iā€™m currently experimenting with a MIDI control surface to control software modules in SuperCollider. A logical extension of that would be to use something not entirely unlike what you describe here to control analogue circuits.

3 Likes

My Ā£20 case might just be big enough for such a design (there are larger cases too, of course.) Eurorack format or even something smaller like AE Modular, perhaps. A simple portable rig like that might be a good way to introduce the basic techniques to schoolchildren.

2 Likes

Fuck thats inexpensive for a case that size.

3 Likes

My first modular set I built into an Apache case (the Harbor Freight version of Pelican.). You can kind of see it in this video which is horrible and hard to listen to so Iā€™ll only link to it and not inline it. I was trying to emulate a Music easel, which seems to be a popular approach. Right now itā€™s pretty much tossed like a prison salad with all the good modules getting ignored in the wood rack I made.

2 Likes