Mail Day Thread

We’re at 55 North here. What are these “sunny days” you speak of?

1 Like

Hey, in Syracuse the sun is shining brightly on the snow.

2 Likes

Uv does help. I still let it sit out for like 3 days. Make sure it has ventilation for the gas to escape.

1 Like

Terminals and knobs.

The knobs are the first of five lots ordered from five AliExpress vendors on March 13 to arrive here. I used the cheapest shipping in every case. For these shipping was free, and the lot of 10 knobs was $2.06.

6 Likes

Yay! Two little dopamine hits.

Anybody ever sell anything on Reverb? I never sell on eBay* and I have a Keystep that’s just taking up (okay not a lot of) space. Incidentally, anybody interested in a low-mileage Keystep? Or a well-maintained MicroBrute? I was planning on putting them both at the low end of the Reverb range. If you are, let me know and I can email you as soon as they’re listed.

This thing has enough extra depth that I have to dig out a right-angle usb cable to keep it all the way on the desk.

*because they f^cked me over when some hillbilly bought one of my strobes, didn’t know what he was doing with it, broke it after (asking me how to use it in an email), then pretended that it was that way when it got to him and they made me pay shipping both ways on top of a forced return. When it comes to eBay, emptor confidam, caveat venditor!

3 Likes

I sold my Minilogue XD on reverb it was actually pretty easy. That was before Covid-19 though so i have no idea what a mess this is now.

I havent used EBAY since i sold my old atari VIDCO Copycart for only 350 bucks. I fucked up the listing and i still feel bummed. I just always get fucked hard with EBAY. It just feels too “wild west-ie” for my taste.

Reverb seems better, but i have only done it once. I sold that Minilogue XD in like 2 hours it was nuts. My tip is to roll shipping costs into the costs of the machine. People dont even mind paying more if the shipping is free.

3 Likes

It was the rare one with Dishaster too. I got really taken for a ride. Not because i didnt know that it was one of the most rare Atari things you can collect, but because i was getting a lot of social pressure etc.

Still makes me sick thinking about it! I try not to feel too bad about it, i picked it up at a thrift store for $1.75, and a collector got a nice deal, but still. I learned some good lessons 8 years ago.

1 Like

I had roughly the same thing happen with a TR606. I think I got it for $8 at a shop that should have known better, sold it for ~$500. Not that it was a bad ROI, just that it only would have appreciated if I’d have held out!

2 Likes

The guy i sold it to seemed nice, and the value was hard to pin down because not many people traded that item in that condition (like one other person sold it for 1300). Looking today its only like 500 buckazoids which makes me feel better.

gets back on topic before i get swatted

3 Likes

Heh, I have a Keystep arriving tomorrow. Had I known…

2 Likes

you all drive me crazy, it’s too expensive for me!
I console myself I have still a beatstep pro ,
But … :cry:

5 Likes

Yeah, stimulus payment or no, I figured that was more kit than I need at the moment for more $ than I need to spend. But I think I can use a basic Keystep.

2 Likes

Dang! I would have given you such a deal too. A wise man recently told me it’s not about the gear you have, it’s about what you do with it. I do have great plans for this investment though.

3 Likes

Arguably my fault, should’ve thought to wait until the Pros rolled in.

2 Likes

OG keystep takes some getting used to, but there is no other keyboard of that quality in that form factor. It is pretty feature rich, even has cv out. I mentioned this before, but if you have a DAW, you can use the keystep to route the midi messages from there as a midi to CV. One channel, but hell thats pretty nifty you know?

4 Likes

Yeah, the CV is what sold it.

3 Likes

Arturia has just got the UI down. The question is, will we all be scrambling for the Behringer version of the KSP in 20 years? :thinking: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Arturia’s controllers are all great :). The key lab is wonderful with software integrations too.

2 Likes

I sell on ebay all the time, it’s a sideline to my day job… turn over ~£20k a year and only make £3k proffit, but it also covers my Van costs and my workshop which is ~500sqft…

I get the occasional idiot or chancre, but got to take rough with smoth…

This years GEM. I bought a box of 8-track tapes at a local weekly auction for £6 [ sent one tape to USA for £20 so already in proffit] I found in the box a manual for a 1970’s Video machine. I had also tried to buy the video machine for £60 as they are worth ~£200 even not working but was not successful… anyway this manual was up for £25 as a cheaky start price just in case… at 5 mins to close it was ay £102, 1min £124, 30s £150, 10s £230… Close £280, £280!!! for a 20 page paper manual! I was so nervous the buyer was going to be a T1T but it was all genuine, paid staight away and was very happy…

So much as ebay can be a bad place, it pays 4 months of my mortgage, gives me a van and a workdhop to get a way tooo… That was however until CV-19 which is not doing me much of a favour… Just about covering the bills at present…

Rob

3 Likes

Just to clarify, eBay is an environment where it is easier for some people to lose money and some to make money off of that loss zero-sum. It is absolutely a skill to not be constantly hosed on transactions there, and also requires patience a lot of times for a deal.

2 Likes