Mail Day Thread

Not technically mail but check out my new thing :slight_smile:

It has the problem where it stops after 10 seconds so i ordered some new belts already.

Does anyone know of a nice diy solution for converting the fsk sync signal to midi for my drum machine?

9 Likes

My first ever boards arrived :slight_smile:

15 Likes

A gem from the past just dropped in. It’s pretty dirty and a few things are broken but I’m confident that I can fix it :crossed_fingers:

15 Likes

I got these in the mail today (wrapped in cling film of course).
Look at those date stamps. If these are genuine, the oldest is from 1983, which makes it about 39 years old. I’m not sure at what age ICs normally retire, but I sure hope it still knows how to multiply.

Note, it is a modulator / demodulator which produces an output voltage proportional to the product of 2 analog input signals (it multiplies them). You can find them e.g. in AM and FM systems and you can use them to make a ring modulator.

12 Likes

Lovely book and pins by @unexpectedbowtie

9 Likes

Aw amazing! Thanks so much for picking these up. Hope you like it :slight_smile:

Shameless plug: https://shop.allmyfriendsaresynths.com/

2 Likes

It’s October, and a few weeks after a massive bicycle crash. So thoughts turn to inside pursuits; time to figure out where I left off earlier in the year. In the meantime, a Thonk and Rapid order for bits to breadboard and build has turned up…

7 Likes

A fairy dropped some gold dust at my door.
now i have most of the components to starty my own LMN-3. the case is in production.

LMN-3 PCB (BST-thread) (shame less self advertising)

6 Likes

PCB and panel for my semi-modular arrived. This is a new revision which hopefully fixes some flaws and I also added a simple wave folder to it. The panel turned out quite nicely, hopefully the holes align to the components correctly. I guess I’ll be doing some soldering tonight.

12 Likes

Multiple boxes came in last two days!

For the 6.35mm patchcables, I followed the advice in another thread of buying mixer cables and removing the big hose thingie that tethers them together. I’m also awaiting a few guitar pedal patchcables, so this amount should suffice me for a (short) while.

There’s also a bunch of of 6.35 switched jacks, slidey sliders, tasty chips, big explodey-type capacitors, and two unipolar Mean Well switching PSU (don’t worry, I’ll ask you grown-ups to quadruple-check my work before the ignition sequence burns down my lab).

Those keytars were produced a decade ago at the height of the Rock Band craze, that video game with the plastic guitars. However, those keyboards were legit music gear: produced to the same standards as entry-level keyboards, with MIDI out. But unlike music gear, they lost value as fast as old-but-not-retro videogame gear does: about €30 shipped, and it seems new.

And Rev.2 of my first PCB design ever, from JLCPCB. Looking good!

Compared to Rev.1, it is much easier to understand which pads are connected, and the underlying KiCad project is much cleaner. Remains to verify they actually work! (You can see how I use those weird PCB in my CMOS synth thread)

9 Likes

Direct from Finland, Kassutronics Slope and Wavefolder.

9 Likes

My panels arrived from jlcpcb . Two circuitbenders pcbs sized for kosmo

9 Likes

Woop woooop! Just got an ez flash cart for running lsdj and probs Pokémon lol

Surprised at how quiet the audio is on the GBC.

Got an order for some DMG mod bits comming soon. So that should be better =D
New crystal green case, buttons, with cart to match, new speaker, audio board, RCA out, 3.5 out, backlit screen, bivert chip… All the things =)

9 Likes

Some 68K resistors that I forgot to order the other week, plus some Molex connectors.

7 Likes

Total eBay score. No microphones included, but I’m mostly interested in the passive octave filter.

14 Likes

The cool thing about a thing like this being passive is that it doesn’t take much to make it into your heaviest eurorack module (2.4 kg):

Going to try to find some obscure coax connectors tomorrow and make some adapters. I have high hopes for Anchor Electronics on this one

10 Likes

Turns out, regular old 2.1mm barrel jacks work just fine! I got pretty deep into coax connectors and converters before I gave in and tried the very first idea I had. :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

If Mikrokosmos is so good why is there no-

-Fumu / Esopus

4 Likes

By some accounts, that’s four VCO’s in a day!

Also picked up this gorgeous and fully functioning Tascam mixer from the local Goodwill:

11 Likes

and some really nice VCO’s to . small mixers like that are all over and cheap now that everyone’s gone digital just a little cleaning and they are great . plus I guess the aesthetics of using a real mixer with your modular system makes it all that more real . I picked up a 12 channel behringer for 50 $ shipped . but it doesn’t look as cool as that Tascam.

4 Likes