Mail Day Thread

Not just me then. It’s a shame as it’s what I have a lot of variety in. I’ve been slowly building up with the Royal Ohm from Tayda and a few random other bits. It just feels a waste to have these and not be able to use them for much.

Another issue for contact on breadboards is if you have pulled the band off, rather than cut the leads, and residue is left behind.

3 Likes

Long legs are too bendy, easy to knock loose, and prone to shorting. For quick and dirty, small scale breadboarding, sure, everyone does it, but better to cut the leads short enough for the resistors to be flush with the breadboard.

4 Likes

Took me a long time to figure that one out before! I tend to cut stuff to fit as flush as I can now so it’s tidy. Less mess of wire acting like an antenna for noise too.

2 Likes

Since I’m doing a lot of audio work again I decided to beef up my audio interface from Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen to the same company’s 8i6 3rd gen offering. It gives me a few more inputs and outputs, as well as (unexpectedly) a MIDI in and out.

Here’s the new one fully configured, beside the old one. The latter will probably go to my son, if he wants it.

9 Likes

How hot of a signal can it handle? I have an old Sonus Audiobox, but it clips so easily, so I have to keep my mixer output juuuuust above zero to be able to get anything out of the synth that isn’t squashed.

2 Likes

It would be somewhat upset if I pumped a VCA out straight into it. Luckily my current semi-modular synths can both provide
line out signals.

3 Likes

getting a bonus midi interface is absolutely banger if you are more of a DAW centric person like i am.

4 Likes

A whole bunch of well packed panel/PCB combos from @analogoutput:

12 Likes

I have these too and also thought about passing on the single but then discovered I could merge them into a single triple input with two outputs. Have fun.

2 Likes

I love that Saran look finish. Looks like it’s been under the planet of the apes.

The really cheap Beringer UCA audio interfaces are tough and can even take an ac input ( briefly ). There are a fair few hacks for them too. Pick up a second hand one and have a play.

3 Likes

+1 for cheap Beringer interfaces. They’re robust as anything.

1 Like

Beringer pre amps are just as cheap and also answer the line level questions for pennies.

On the matter of squashing etc these super cheap beasts have been so useful and one day I’ll get round to putting them in the patch bay,. That’s also a behringer. Oh god I’m lost, run friends!

6 Likes

First time I have ever ordered PCBs…now I just gotta buy all the other parts for these Through Hole Braids.

11 Likes

I still have a box of the original smd boards on my list of when-i-have the patience to do list. Ah one day!

3 Likes

That’s why I went with the through hole design! I have done some SMD stuff before, I am not sure I would want to do a full Mutable Instruments module that way.

3 Likes

The 0402 components are not for the faint of heart. Or sight.

6 Likes

tell me about it… I did a board the other day in 0603… I cant imagine doing 0402 or 0201 by hand…

I accidentally ordered some 0201 ceramic caps… lololol
0.7mm lead for size ref… lol

(Don’t ya love when a part number has a package size in it… and has nothing to do with the size… lol)

4 Likes