Looking for a new box for my modules

I found these wooden wine boxes in my shed. The former owner left them there. Unfortunately they were all empty, but … they might come in handy if my 19 inch rack is full (which won’t take long). The boxes are a bit taller than 2 euro rack modules, so I will have to add some filler panels (or leave them out for cooling), or I could just make the module panels a bit longer and rebel against the standard !

7 Likes

Or you could put a bus strip down the middle like the MakeNoise cases. I always planned on that (passive though) for my current desktop Eurorack.

3 Likes

I was sort of planning to get rid of the ‘inner’ side panels of the boxes and span the whole width.

4 Likes

Nice find, all the hard work done.

1 Like

Hi Jos, I bought wine crates on eBay and did this…

Th three largest boxes are 12 bottle size and there a one bottle size for the euro rack stuff. I then bought plastic sheet off eBay, cut to size and drilled some whole for lights etc.Then added some clips on the side to lock them together. Enjoy, Beau

7 Likes

Looks nice! Where did you get the rails from?

I used euro rack rails from synth racks. had to cut them to size, but wasn’t a problem. drilled holes from the outside to hold them.

Oh my god, those tape decks!

I remember splicing tape, and not very fondly. But there’s something just so very cool about tape decks.

1 Like

This is a great idea, I ordered some on Etsy but still waiting for them to be sent

I’m using wine crates for my own system, as they’re a standard size I’ve just made it my own format, each row is 15cm high.

Standard wine crates would be 31cm high internally, I double checked common sizes before starting but there seems to be a standard.

You can also get them for free if you go to a local wine merchant, although that’s a bit tricky in the UK at the moment… I stocked up way before lockdown.

Here’s a snap of my current system, wooden panels and bolts instead of jacks.

12 Likes

Huh, bolts? This is just beautiful :heart_eyes:. I just had about four cascading aha-moments from that one picture!

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’m currently making a solar powered Lunetta in one of these boxes using super capacitors. CMOS chips can operate as low as 3v.

Most recent module is a solar powered clock section, basic clock, divider and 8 step trigger, it has 23 bolts which is far cheaper than jack sockets… to connect with the outside I’ve got a few bolt to jack panels.

1 Like

Bolts and what? Crocodile clips? Twisted solid core? Springs?

2 Likes

No, no, no, too expensive: washing pins (clothes pegs) with some copper wire taken from a broken transformer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Crocodile clips and whatever spare wire.

I was inspired by Chris Beckstrom’s setup.

2 Likes

You have got to show us a demo of your synth all patched up!

BTW crocodile clips? Is that a regional thing? I always heard them called alligator clips.

1 Like

1 Like

Oh no, Sir, you must have missed that at school. There are lots of variants!

I only use gold plated hand made cayman clips myself.

3 Likes

Here’s a quick video I made the other day.
No voltage sequencer yet or VCO (currently breadboarding) so it’s all drone/noise.
But as a proof of concept for solar powered modular I think it works.

In terms of using bolts and croc clips I did try minijack sockets and banana sockets but due to the flimsy nature of the wooden panels there was too much flex, the other option would be to use thicker wood but that would mean using a router to drill out some space which takes time or aluminium panels which I don’t have the tools to cut. Apologies if I’ve offended anyone with my use of cheap effective solutions. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

If it works for you, never apologize.

3 Likes