Looking for a new box for my modules

nice noizy dark ambiance !
if you want to continue with wood, I use 5mm plywood and it’s just the right thickness to be strong enough for big jack and also good for pot threading, without using a router.

1 Like

Sweet, thank you for the advice as well, good to know. I’ll get some in once my 3mm supply runs out.

2 Likes

Quite the contrary, I admire the ingenuity :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I second that. @chall When I realized you weren’t using jacks but cables with Crocodylomorph clips, for a few seconds I wondered why I was?

4 Likes

Yeah, 1/4" jacks have maybe twice the thread length of 3.5 mm jacks.

4 Likes

You mean, we speak too much about 1/4" jacks as opposed to 3.5 mm jacks?

4 Likes

I suppose its exactly the same as banana jacks, to be honest I’ve been using bolts on my DIY system for a while and it’s taught me loads about grounding issues as the whole system has to have shared grounds for it to work.

I do like 1/4" jacks though, I’ve been a bit frustrated with eurorack stuff sometimes, my fingers aren’t that big and I’ve struggled with tweaking some modules once they’re patched.

3 Likes

Really cool stuff! Can you explain a bit more how this works? I mean the solar stuff! Do you have + and -12V as well? Is the solar only giving power or does it also modulate the sound? :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Very nice.
Can you elaborate on the “ping can” for lack of a better name?
Piezo in a literal can?
Did you figure out why it stopped working? (Or did I misread that moment?)

2 Likes

KOSMO format :wink: :yum: :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ll put up a separate thread to share my circuits and stuff.

But to answer your question about +- 12v no it doesn’t although I have started to look at +-5v.

A lot of chips used in standard modular circuits can operate at that voltage.

I’m sure the AE Modular stuff Does this as its 9v dc which must then convert it to +- 4.5 on the module.

For the power, each panel goes to a switch with two capacitors to change the way the sunlight modulates the circuits, you can see me waving my hands in front of it blocking the sun and the pitch changes

The tin can is a speaker at one end and piezo on the the other, there’s springs attached internally, with the field kit I can power the speaker , resonate the springs and create feedback.

Yeah, it stopped working part way through although it seems fine now :joy:.

I was looking at the work of David Tudor at the time when I built it, especially Rainforest.

3 Likes

What’s the device in the lower left?

1 Like

Really like it (when it works!), would love to see more details/pictures.

5 Likes

Boss RE20 space echo pedal.

No, the one your hand is on

1 Like

there is no need to apologize . that is awesome sounding and a great inspiration to people out here that may not have access to better materials and tools , it shows that with some work you can still get good results. so thank you for sharing , hope we get to see more of your work .

4 Likes

That’s a Koma Elektronik Field Kit, I believe:

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=field-kit

2 Likes

I started a wine box synth as well, the plates are from fruit crates and the rails are from old furniture. Real trash synth.

8 Likes

Ha, I love the eyes! I’m thinking of making a set of eyes that follow the person standing in front of my rack.

3 Likes