Kosmonuts music compilation project?

I will be making a ciat-lonbarde track for a compilation cassette… lol
How would that fair in this compilation? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If anyone needs help with DAW setup just let me know. I can help via DMs. I come from the DAW / VST world primarily.

5 Likes

how will we show our stuff ? , a thread to put just links to our work [ you tube , soundcloud ,etc. ] no chatter if you like someones work just :heart: it [ yeah I know this is impossible lol ] .

3 Likes

I may have voted pure DIY, but I think I should clarify that I would rather it be pure hardware and only using software to do the recording, since pure DIY would rule out things like beatsteps and midi keyboards, old analog gear and samplers etc etc. To me using a computer for processing would rather spoil the whole ‘Look Mum No Computer’ aspect of the affair that got me so interested in the world of electronics and SDIY in the first place.

However, I also wouldn’t want to rule anything out. Everyone has their own workflow that works for them (to whatever degree of success) and surely this is all about having some fun with the wacky stuff we build

4 Likes

@JonGreen
I agree in many respects. However given the number of people that would not have the ability to participate at all, I think a happy medium is for everyone to try and keep the spirit of the project in mind as best they can.

If someone just produces a track thats entirely software its not inferior, but it also is missing the point. The point here i think is to show off what you have made and have fun making bleeps and bloops while doing so.

I think its a point of pride to make music with things you have built. It would be pretty lame if someone were to just make something that wasnt even using your DIY gear at all. Though, i doubt anyone would do that.

I dont want to gatekeep anyone that does not have a full system, but if you dont have any DIY gear at all, i would wonder why you would want to participate in this project.

This is another reason i said space would be a good theme since making bleepy bloopy space sounds is within the reach of most anyone on the forum. You can make an atari punk console with a 555 in a day and record with your phone for a lofi sound, then run though free reverbs in audacity for example.

@devicex
What I am thinking is that we can post tracks we make here as we want, but to really make this shine, we can take everyone’s finished songs and make like an album specifically for this on a streaming service. I recommend youtube since each submission can be hosted on an individual’s channel, but a public playlist could be created to organize them.

To this end, I would like to suggest that each song comes with it a bit of art that also supports the space theme. I think that including that will make each track be more unique and give the listener something to look at.

@Jos I feel like you can turn something into a soundsource for your machine for sure! It doesnt have to be an OSC, and you can make basic OSCs or a self resonating filter if you wanted!

3 Likes

and now the hardest part , herding the musical cats into some kind of a time frame …

1 Like

I think a month is long enough for people to get on board, make a thing and submit it without being so long that we forget about it. Like most things here though, it doesn’t need to be strictly enforced or anything.

2 Likes

Same here
I’m not ready yet to produce music, but I know Reaper relatively well, so if someone needs help with Reaper specifically, I’m here.

2 Likes

ideally I voted for only DIY stuff, but i agree indeed a happy medium would be less excluding.

we will need to create a new youtube channel for it
it all takes shape !

2 Likes

I’m certainly interested too. I think it’ll push me to actually make something complete instead of noodling around.

3 Likes

Maybe this can push people to make more stuff! It’s your idea ultimately though. The poll is there simply to get a gauge of how many people might be interested but not be ready.

2 Likes

I just had an idea. How neat would it be if we each tied the tracks we make to celestial objects to give some more direction and imagery around what we make? You know, kinda like Gustav Holst “The Planets”, but not necessarily restricted to planets.

3 Likes

maybe we can wait a little more than 1 month

i like a lot this idea !!! maybe a global title like"From Earth to Kosmos" with each Modular pilot a start and a destination
ex :
Track 01 - “Solar wind” by Sound Bender lift-off from Earth (France)
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I dig it. Hell, we may not need a limit at all. If we go with the YouTube hosting/playlist route it can continue to grow at whatever pace people like.

3 Likes

and me the gas giant :grin:

3 Likes

that sounds like a good route . heckseven and dud will have 80 tracks and the rest of maybe 8 lol .

3 Likes

At least we wont run out of stars.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: i thought for just 1 track from each one for this complitation with this theme, more like an album.
but nothing will prevent another theme for another “album theme” one day …

2 Likes

I was thinking of this more like the community members participating in a project of making music instead of community members making music / fiddling with DIY gear specifically. I just thought we were creating something for the theme and sharing our music in whatever way it is that we write music, whether that is hardware, software, etc… I guess that it’s more about the people coming together. That’s how I thought of it.

I’m nowhere near ready to use any of my DIY modules. I’m probably several months away from that. However, if people decide that is part of the parameter that is okay. I’ll probably back out then and just join another one of these in the future when I have my modular put together and have learned how to use it. I’m still watching tutorials on how to use my 0-Coast and SL MKIII.

1 Like

just being a smart ass :wink: , actually would not mind hearing your guys stuff at all .

1 Like