Kosmo Euclidean Rhythm Generator

I just posted my first Instructable for a Kosmo format Euclidean Rhythm Generator. It’s based on an Arduino Nano. If you’re interested, you can find it here: https://www.instructables.com/Euclidean-Rhythm-Drum-or-Synth-Sequencer-Module/ I think it’s a fairly comprehensive guide with all the code, schematics, and panel layout you need to build one. Let me know how it goes if you build one!

Edit The instructables link is correct, but sometimes fails. Try deleting the trailing / in the URL and hitting enter. That refreshed the page correctly when I got the error. Very weird. Here’s a crap video of a crap patch with the thing running. :slight_smile: Arduino Nano-Based Euclidean Rhythm Synth Module - YouTube I’ll try to make a nicer demo video when I have time. I’m busy debugging student-built filter modules at the moment… :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Looks cool! The link doesn’t work though…

1 Like

Works for me dum de dum de dee

Yes cool ! have you a vid of it ?
the link doesn’t work for me

The link doesn’t work or I can’t find it.

-Fumu / Esopus

Discourse seems to be able to follow that link with no trouble (as can I), or at least I see a correct preview below:

3 Likes

Ahh my old nemesis: “modes of operation”. We meet again…

4 Likes

The price you pay for a minimalist interface. :laughing:

1 Like

Well… If we were to consider the interface as the complete way we interact with the module rather than just the number of knobs on the panel, it’s not that minimalist after all…

2 Likes

how did you get the measurements for the spacing of the neopixels on the ring?

I’d like to have a go at drawing this up in kicad and using it with a neopixel ring I have had in the pile for a while, but the idea in my head needs precision on the measurements and I think my ring could be slightly different to yours.

I measured the size and center-to-center distance of the LEDs with a micrometer to create a pair of properly spaced squares. Then I rotated them about their center to create the pattern.

I’ve imported the ring from your panel and it seems to be almost identically sized, I think I can refine my idea to allow for a little margin of error. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

My pleasure. Good luck!!!

1 Like

Gotta check this one up. If it can play random “music” I must have one!!!

You cannot have too many modules throwing out random voltages …

1 Like

Have you looked at some of Michael Barton’s modules? He has some pretty cool designs that procedurally generate rhythms and notes. They’re easy and fairly inexpensive builds, and the way he lays out his PCBs makes it easy to adapt them to Kosmo. I can’t recommend his stuff highly enough! http://bartonmusicalcircuits.com

2 Likes

It can be a little annoying if that’s not what they’re supposed to do

7 Likes

I had a look at the instructable and I liked it a lot. I partially breadboarded the thing and it worked ‘out of the box’ so to speak. But … you might want to add a remark about where to get the Encoder.h from. I am a somewhat experienced arduino user/programmer so I found it after searching a bit, but people new to the subject might get stuck there without any guidance.

2 Likes

I’m glad it worked for you! Great suggestion about libraries. I will update the instructions.

2 Likes

Today I combined your design with a different approach to I/O I found here and started working on a PCB. I’m thinking of adding CV inputs to be able to shift the patterns, add a reset input which will resync all patterns, add a clock output and maybe a random function that will make it possible to mute parts of a pattern controlled by a probability value. I will publish the results as soon as I have something working.

6 Likes

Such great ideas! I really want to add variable sequence lengths and CV control of sequence parameters. I hope to get back to the project at some point.

1 Like