Introductions: Say hello, tell us about yourself and your projects

Hi everyone , sorry I have been lazy about personally saying high to you all . welcome to the forum glad to have you on board .

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Wouter. Great to see another Amateur Radio enthusiast here. My callsign is VK3IK and I hope to work you on the bands sometime. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Hey all! I realized today I made an account here, poked around for a bit, and then promptly forgot about it. Oops.

Anyway! Hi! I’m Daneel!

I currently make Creative Commons-licensed chiptune stuff. Most of what I do is with open-source softsynths (ZynAddSubFx and SocaLabs’ chiptune plugins are my mainstays). But I’ve been working with sample-based trackers lately and have really enjoyed that, so maybe we’ll see some branching out soon. :man_shrugging:

My Bandcamp is here, if you’re inclined toward Music For Sad Computers:
https://stratotron.bandcamp.com

I’m pretty active on Twitter, but I mostly talk about Star Trek.
https://twitter.com/stratotron

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum .

Hi friends,

I’m Brett and I’m delighted to find this little community.

I’ve been increasingly obsessed with the world of diy sound machines over the last couple years. I’m currently building a paper circuit delay based electro-acoustic sound box inspired by the folktek resonant garden. I’m also learning to program supercollider and lua to build Norns scripts as open source stuff is very intriguing to me.

Happy to be here and get inspired by what y’all are up to.

11 Likes

Hey welcome to the forum! Users when they first show up may have a few limits on posting frequency etc. Discourse automatically takes actions like silencing users it detects are spam. Sorry that happened. I unsilenced you. I saw that you double posted here, did my best to clean up for the thread’s cleanliness.

Speaking of clean, i love how your project depicted here actually preserves the circuit schematic in implementation! very cool! The best place to post updates is either in your own thread, or if you want you can just contribute to the “my build progress” thread here: https://lookmumnocomputer.discourse.group/t/my-build-progress

5 Likes

welcome to the forum …

2 Likes

Welcome!

I like your paper circuits; is that conductive tape? I didn’t know you could solder to it. Be sure to post some sound samples once it’s done :wink:.

4 Likes

There are two kinds of conductive tapes, alumin(i)um and copper.
Obviously you can’t solder the alimin(i)um ones (at least, not with a soldering iron…)
You can solder the copper one, but you have to be fast or else the adhesive boils and doesn’t stick anymore… a bit of superglue can fix it sometimes…

It is often used for wooden slot-car tracks (the very expensive alternative being copper braids…)

(Yes I built one with a friend several years ago… :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

2 Likes

That tape laying tool though! I might need to find me one of those.

1 Like

Hey there, I am Adam, I sometimes go by Mintz in some internet realms.

I am a mechanical engineer in the Detroit area. I’ve worked on various automotive components, I currently work for a large audio company.
When I was a kid, I tried to get into electronics, but I was never all that successful with it. I’ve also always liked playing with stuff that makes noise, but I’m not much of a musician. Over the years I’ve put together kits and gained confidence in doing electronics. This past summer I found one of the DD-5 drum synths before Sam did circuit bending to one. As I was working on mine I found his videos and it lead me down this dangerous path of building weird instruments.

I ended up killing that DD-5 and some other stuff and made some more circuit bent stuff. I just finished my first functional modular synth! I ended up making my own laser cut format. I just started looking into this forum and it’s been helpful finishing up the last couple modules. All I can say now is that I am totally hooked and want to keep expanding my set up.

20 Likes

Very nice ! is it an ISD1820 looper/sampler on the right with Arcade buttons?

2 Likes

Thank you very much! It’s actually the drums out of a keyboard I bought at a thrift store. I was hoping to circuit bend it and have some fun with it, but there wasn’t much I could do, so I just cut up the board and made it into a drum module. It has a built in sequence maker, so I added those buttons. Unfortunately, it has a really long gap at the end of a sequence, so that part is kind of useless. But it does make some lovely terrible drum noises.

Also thank you for the idea of making a module with that…another nice cheap little thing I can add in!

3 Likes

Ok, it was the “rec” button why i tought at it :wink:

Not a module, but some infos about ISD1820 build here

2 Likes

Sweet! I already ordered a module from China off eBay. Totally doing this.
I’ve definitely been looking at your webpage for some inspiration and help already.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums. I’m going to call you Mintz. I go by Fumu or Esopus in some internet realms. Your designs are really neat.

-Fumu / Esopus

3 Likes

Hi Adam , I think that makes 4 of us from Michigan .
" I found his videos and it lead me down this dangerous path of building weird instruments ". yeah Sam seems to have had that effect on a lot of us . good luck on your builds . there is plenty of help here and a lot of stuff already has extensive threads on the build subjects , just search or ask .

3 Likes

Hello all, I’m not scared to try it I’m trepidatious. I’m an electrician in Cali who loves ‘tronics . Really I’m just mainly compelled to say thank you to Mr Battle for all I’ve learned

Life is a work in progress…

11 Likes