Introduction to Dave from SpectrumDIY

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Dave! Came here from a livestream and I run Spectrum DIY :smiley:

I love DIY, music and electronics. I’ve been playing guitar all my life, but I play other instruments as well, been wanting to start making soundscapes a bit for some of my videos, thought what better way to do it, than DIY :smiley:

So… yeah, pleased to meet you all!

Only thing I’ve got really I can share is the most recent project, which is not finished. Only just finished the VCO module today and I’ve been hesitant to test it in case I blow up the CEM3340 chip XD
EDIT: Figured out how to add pictures XD

Here’s a couple links of the project:

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum :wink:

twinturbo aka Robin Clayton :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome @SpectrumDIY StudioSixPlusOne on youtube here, I will watch your videos in a bit

1 Like

Thanks you guys! @twinturbo @Dave

1 Like

Just a headsup that we have a stickied intro thread, but we’re not that picky and I’m too lazy to move this right now so this is fine too :smiley:

5 Likes

Ah snap… my apologies… I’m not very forum savvy :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s fine, Im not very music savvy. Aint got a clue about any of the theory :wink:

Measures are something to do with Gin in my head.

2 Likes

P.S.

Usualy for power up on modules we say to apply power with no IC’s , then with expendable ones like the TLO74’s . And then meter the power on the expensive IC socket power/GND to make sure it’s right… That way you reduce the chance of letting out the magic smoke.

4 Likes

Hey cheers for that! That’s a great piece of advice: Agreed on the measure :wink: (I do not speak musical theory either, I only know how to play by ear)

1 Like

Nice sounding drone box you have built, and a cool video presenting style. Please keep us updated.

Good luck with the 3340, @twinturbo has given good advice, checking the power is all correct to the IC is easy, and a very good frustration saver, but I’m sure most of us have forgotten and regretted not doing this simple check.

1 Like

Cheers @Dave !

Much appreciated! I just finished assembling it… next is to run the tests on it before putting in the chips, then see what happens :smiley:

2 Likes

Here’s front side as well, not that it really shows much except my messiness XD

EDIT: Turns out, it failed… but that’s okay. I’ve been non-stopping for a while. So that’s probably a sign for a break.
Shall come back to it tomorrow and just build a new board. TBH I don’t see any issues anywhere, but again, tired. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome!
Subtle use of pots and arcade buttons there. :slight_smile:
Very impressive.

If you get time can you walk us through the build.

Stick at the vco
My first 3340 failed; forgot to put chip in.
Second attempt failed; forgot to hook up power.
Third failure? No power to my test amp…
And just before my last failure I spotted I’d wired up the power backwards. (Thankfully no smoke)
After that it was plain sailing
(oh I just had to reverse the pots and ground all the jacks properly and … Well, you’ll get there)

3 Likes

Top right. Are those resistor legs shorting?

1 Like

I really appreciate your feedback… I am trying not to give up on it :sweat_smile:
And which build? The halloween synth? I’m in the process of that, but I wanted to try to get what I could done before halloween, so hopefully I can play something for that day :smiley:

Granted, I will be perfectly content if all I can do is play what I’ve got working (the 20 oscillators).
I just got through playing guitar for a while, thought that might help.

As to the resistor legs, I thought the same, so I checked and nothing is touching there, but it is very close. I’m seriously thinking about redoing the board and sacrificing those small components for later diagnosis

But just in case I can’t get it done on the boards I’ve got on hand, or something else goes astray, I did buy some stripboard, though it’ll be next week probably before it gets here (at the earliest)

1 Like

I like how you said “we say to”. Whether we actually do is another question.

My latest module has eight TL074s in it, fortunately only two were in place the first time I tried powering it up…

Here’s the usual video link:

To which add:

Something not addressed in that video is: If there are 10R resistors or diodes in series on the power rails, shorts elsewhere in the module will not be found by checking at the power header. Check again at the other sides of the resistors or diodes.

I always do this, usually.

3 Likes

Wicked intro video! (watching now)

1 Like

And also:

5 Likes

Hi. Yes the Halloween synth please.
There are verified stripboard 3340 builders here if you can’t find the fault in the protoboard.
Keep us posted.

3 Likes

Certainly! I shall keep that in mind when I do the next upload. And thank you again! :smiley:

3 Likes