Problems with my first VCO

Hello there.

I have started to work on three modules for a school project, with the deadline of january 31st, but I ran into a problem.

I have recently finished building my first module, LMNC’s simple VCO with the square wave output and pwm. When i went to test it out i have had no signal coming out of the outputs.

I tried trobuleshooting but so far with no succsess. I have cheecked the power supply connections and I think there is no problem there. I tried wiring each of the outputs individually because I thought that maybe i have wired something wrong on the panel, but it didn’t work.

Right now I have how to fix it and I hope I haven’t fried the chips, even though there was no smoke or smell. Since I’m a beginner and have almost no idea what I’m doing, I really need some help!

Thanks.

BTW I didn’t know where to post this so I made a new topic.

If you are talking about the super simple oscillator there are a few threads.
TLDR; is usually just that you need to find the right transistor to get the oscillation. So try a bunch of them and see if that helps. :slight_smile:

I’m talking about the CEM3340 vco.

1 Like

Do you have a multimeter?

2 Likes

Right now I don’t, but I plan on getting one asap

Thanks, I’ll try to fix it using this.

1 Like

It’ll be hard to proceed without one.

2 Likes

Yeah…not a lot of troubleshooting you can do without one, except looking things over. Even the cheapest one you can find would work. I used a $4 or $5 harbor freight meter for six months

3 Likes

Did you make all the track cuts on the strip board?

Lets see the PSU…

Post up a couple of Hi-Res pics of the front and back of the strip board.

Rob

Yesterday I tried to get an isolated triangle output(wich probably was not smart), but it still didn’t work. I think I did the cuts on the stripboard right if you mean the break ups of lines between the chip sockets. And yes it kinda looks all messed up because I tried to disconnect wire and reconnect them, etc. Also the resistors have different Wattage values because when I ordered the parts I didn’t realize that. And lastly I moved the power socket(don’t know what it’s called) to another spot. hope this helps.

1 Like

Probably not the source of any of your problems, but it is recommended to connect your ground to all six power header ground pins, not just two of them.

1 Like

ok i ill do that just in case

Power input looks right,

Are the extra set of cuts and associated jumpers from a previous attempt?

yes, i messed up the first time
also i just got a multimeter, noob question is the circuit in ac or dc?

DC +12V / GnD / -12V power supply for modular

2 Likes

Power is DC (it’s a flat constant value, plus or minus). Audio signals and some control voltages are AC (they oscillate above and below a central value), but the voltages mentioned in the linked posts above are DC.

1 Like

There’s a couple other spots that look suspicious too but hard to say. Make sure you don’t have any solder bridges where you shouldn’t. There should be a mode called continuity on your meter you can check if you have a connection

2 Likes

Those two spots didn’t conduct but, i found another spot that did and fixed it. Also i’m had a thought that maybe my 3340 chip doesn’t work. How could i make a simple circuit to test if it works? but thanks for the tips everyone.

I checked how much power there is on the stripboard by measuring +12v and -12v connections,and on the multimeter it showed up as 10,06v, could that be the problem?

Take out the 3340 and plug in the module. check the voltages at where pin 3 and 16 would be, those are the power supply pins for the 3340

1 Like