Cheap Component Search

I have no idea how that feels.

(The night before I did order these, they came, they’re about the same thing)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32854236283.html

3 Likes

You have the worst luck with jacks.

2 Likes

Some AS3340 prices in the US:

Synthcube $5.99 plus $8.39(!!!) shipping to my address (northeastern US).

ModularAddict $7.70 plus $4.15 shipping. Out of stock ATM.

AI Synthesis $7.00 plus $4 shipping.

(I recently bought three from them — and they actually sent three AS3340A chips. This is the impoved version which SynthCube sells for $8.99! However, the AI Synthesis page says AS3340, not AS3340A, and for all I know you might get either. You could ask.)

cabin-globa on eBay $7.20 plus $3.06 shipping.

Cabintech Global $6.33 plus $1.16 shipping! (Untracked, $3.06 tracked.)

Last two apparently the same seller, I haven’t bought from them but they have 99.7% feedback on eBay and their website’s been up since at least 2014.

Added: I see they were mentioned here… closing in on two years ago!

Added: I recently bought one AS3340 from Cabintech Global… No complaints.

3 Likes

In the UK I have got mine from Thonk £6.72 plus £1.42 shipping. I have just looked in my stash and the one I have has no A postfix, just AS3340

Electric Druid
€5.25 push €3.00 shipping (a quick google says £4.54 plus £2.60

Frequency Central £6.00 plus £2.00 untracked + £1.20 vat. Tracked shipping £7.00

A supplier that I have never used before Soundtronics £5.05 plus £6.95 shipping + £2.40 vat

3 Likes

I just got some too! to test the A type

5 Likes

Let us know what you think, in my test I saw no frequency shift at all with pulse width change. Then again the only non-A 3340 I’ve ever had was a CEM I fried before I could test that… :anguished: so maybe I’m missing something…

:anguished: again

3 Likes

I try not to pay shipping, for me buying a small number of various AS chips over time, I still find it cheaper to by them from Thonk alongside pots, then the order qualifies for free shipping.

I agree though, £7 shipping for a single ic is excessive

5 Likes

Anyone use these for your builds? Just wondering.

Does anybody have any good leads on power cables (16:10)? I got some from Thonk a while back but they’re all so short. I can’t find any 16:10 on AliExpress and couldn’t find anything at all on Tayda. Any tips? Maybe a spool+crimper as an alternative?

3 Likes

you mean the euro rack 10 and 16 conductor flat cable ? yeah just get a spool of cable and the connectors its a lot cheaper in the long run and you can make them the exact size you need . you don’t need crimpers you can use pliers or vise but you will be glad you got them if you do get them .

2 Likes

I bought an old 30m roll of computer ribbon cable, 30 core. Still using it up.

2 Likes

This stuff apparently. Never heard of it until now.

1 Like

I use a spool of cable from Tayda and the 10 pin headers from Tayda. With a bit of care you don’t even need a vice to put them together - get a wee block of timber or something to save your fingers , insert cable, press down with the block, repeat.

3 Likes

" a wee block of timber " :heart:
yes you will need your fingers

3 Likes

The price is hot but beware, 20% tolerance can cause frustration (depending on the purpose of the pot, of course).

From a quick look at Mouser it appears more than 2/3 of the pots they carry are 20% tolerance — almost all the rest are 10%. The Alpha 9 mm pots so commonly used in DIY modules are 20%.

Yeah, I’ve been burned by the low (high? You know what I mean) tolerance of pots.

4 Likes

Just popped into my inbox, Thonk is having a sale.

Starting Monday 11th July.

ALL pots and knobs will be discounted and on sale. There will be some very good deals.

The sale starts at 2pm UK time (UTC+1) on Monday 11th July 2022.

4 Likes

They absolutely knew what they were doing with the green sign.

6 Likes

Hey guys, I just decided to sell some parts from an old Studiomaster 16-4-2 mixer, as well as a Ken-Multi mixer. I come from germany, so private shipping would be nice around my area. Is anynone interested in 6,3mm jacks, push buttons with 6 pins, Slider Pots (A5K & A10K) or rotary pots (A10K mono & stereo, B10K mono & stereo, C10K & C100K)? Prices for rotary pots with knobs are 15€ for 10 pieces. Of course, i try to clean them up as good as i can.

For Europeans, a small vote of confidence after one successful order with DSMCZ from the Czech Republic, a surplus store selling a lot of new old stock, new components focused on hobbyists, and even some old boards for component reclaim and unidentified components for adventurous buyers. I never saw them mentioned here yet. No minimum orders (they ask you not to abuse it on the front page, lol), good prices, and you can ask them prefer paper bags to plastic when feasible:

Only one order of very generic components with them, so that’s not an unreserved endorsement yet.
Arrived in 3 weeks with the cheapest shipping option.

8 Likes