AO G.E.A.R. Sequencer (rhythm generator)

what about those DVD/VCR screensavers with the logo that never quite hits
the corner

1 Like

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

Bouncing Furby? (alt: Bouncing Dancing Santa?)

Bouncing Speak & Spell?

Bouncing Kosmo logo?

-Fumu / Esopus

5 Likes

In my Time-Warp-O-Matic I switch off the OLED display after the encoder has not been used anymore for a specific time. Then every few minutes I play the start up animation once to show that the device is still alive. Once you touch the controller the oled is activated again.

For a year long OLED burn in test have a look here.

5 Likes

Good article.

The solution to this problem would be to … turn the display off when no one is looking at it

Don’t think I could get the Nano to do that! :laughing:

2 Likes

Since I was working on the clock anyway I implemented screen blanking in that. I think I can pretty much just replicate that code for the GEAR Sequencer… once I get around to pulling it out of the case and hauling it up to where I’ll work on it.

2 Likes

any chance of putting all the folders together for the gear seq. that need to be loaded into the nano ? I can drag and drop two of them but having an amateur problem with the 3rd folder the u8g2 . and should the display light up with no soft ware loaded or have I plonked this display and need to replace it [ I do have an extra ] .

I think there should be only two, assert is built in. So just DirectIO and U8g2lib.

U8g2lib installation instructions are here u8g2install · olikraus/u8g2 Wiki · GitHub .

I don’t know about the display, I don’t think I’ve seen it light up without the library properly running but maybe.

1 Like

At GitHub - holmesrichards/gearseq at blank there’s a new branch containing a version of the code that implements screen blanking after 60 seconds. (The sketch itself is at gearseq/gearSeqSketch.ino at blank · holmesrichards/gearseq · GitHub ). See what you think.

It’ll unblank if you turn any of the pots enough to cause a change in a parameter or the algorithm, though that means you’re making changes “blind”. Or you can toggle the display switch off and on to unblank without changing anything. (One might consider substituting an on-off-(on) switch for the SPST, with a bodge wire connecting the outer terminals, so you can wake up the screen with just a momentary upward toggle.)

If it seems good I’ll merge it into the main branch of the repo.

2 Likes

I’ll try it today. Bonus nerd cred:

6 Likes

What, no video link?

6 Likes

I merged the new version into the main branch. I think it’s fine. If any problems you know where to find me.

2 Likes

I tested it and haven’t found any issues. Thanks!

2 Likes

Built one in the last few days! Made it on protoboards without the PCB.

I skipped the power toggle for the OLED and went with a different panel layout.

My low-quality pots and janky build catch a lot of noise, so I had to edit the code to reduce the range of knobs and increase the delta that triggers an update.

3 Likes