Matrix Sequencer ideas

I know, I should finish my other projects first before starting another one, but you know how this is :wink:
Looking a bit around for interesting sequencers I found the Z8000 Matrix Sequencer by TipTopAudio.
There is a cool demonstration of how to use it together with a precision adder in the later part of this video:

Now I was thinking about bringing this into Kosmo format, with the change of having a “end of circle” signal, so when a sequencer completes, it sends a signal which than could be used to advance another sequencer for a step. I think it could be a cool way of generating melodies!

But there are soo many jacksockets now! Maybe I should think about some kind of simplification, because like this the module will be quite crowded and also pricey! But going to only 3x3 steps does not sound such a good idea… maybe only use the horizontal sequences? but I also like the idea of being able to use the same knobs for two different sequences…
any clever ideas? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe build in a quantizer so said melodies always sound nice?

4 Likes

This is a cool idea, I like grid sequencers, but I do agree that is a very busy panel, that would need to be large to feel like the spacing of Kosmo.

I am aware this forum is not about software, however, I feel it can be a good source of inspiration. My favourite grid sequencer is JW GridSeq, where you have triggers to advance horizontally or vertically through the grid. If you were to disregard the probability and gate controls from the ui, this may give you some ideas.

4 Likes

Quantizer is a good idea, but the module is busy enough already :wink:

3 Likes

That’s a cool sequencer! But I would need a microprocessor for this kind of stuff, I guess…
But maybe it’s also possible without just with counters and cd4051, like my original idea…
But I also like having multiple sequences in parallel, but maybe not 10 xD

3 Likes

If it were me I’d probably do it as a 30 cm module

5 Likes

Maybe that’s the solution! Looks cool!
But still almost 40 jack sockets in a single module xD

I am thinking about maybe only doing the horizontal sequencers, but keeping the option for an extension module.
And then maybe add an internal precision adder and whole volt quantizer (for transposing)…

2 Likes

Yeah, and?

6 Likes

You may want to read this: Reality check: HP - North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
It contains some thoughts on how to use HP space without falling into the trap of the “consensus of fantasy designers is that a module with as much functionality as possible ought to fit easily in about 4HP”, if not 4HP than as little HPs as possible. Putting controls and inputs this close together makes it impossible to use the device comfortably.

4 Likes

Yeah, I am aware, but the question is: less functionality or a wider module (@analogoutput ‘s suggestion)? XD

2 Likes

The nice thing when making your own module is that this is up to you to decide.
The burden of making your own module is that this is up to you to decide.

[Edit]: being able to reach all knobs and jacks comfortably will pay off in the end. You will otherwise probably stop using the module because operating it has become a pain.

5 Likes

The crowded UI is always my downfall, but I have got a bit better, sometimes it’s about less features or bigger panels, or maybe there are alternate ways using less UI elements.

Just for fun, here is one of my bad designs, a totally unusable midi controller.

9 Likes

Wow! Add some rubber bands with a twist or two to those knobs and you have something very special locking preset knobs together.

6 Likes

This is my version of a midi controller.

6 Likes

You’ll never make it in the military industrial complex:

3 Likes

Yours looks much better than mine. It’s a perfect example of your comment above, if it’s awkward to use it won’t get used. I had to dig into my box of things to salvage for the photo. I did remake it in a usable form.

It could be driven over by a tank without losing any functionality. Mainly because it has none, other than to demonstrate bad panel design. Was not all a loss, it was a good learning experience.

6 Likes

I did the same thing when I designed my modular midi controller. If I used think knobs it’s mostly fine, but it’s just not enough space.

5 Likes