A litany of dumbassery

Our old 42" TV that i got for £50 5 years ago, died for the second time on Wednesday… 2.5 years ago I replaced the PSU PCB…

this time i replaced the 7 CAPS on the PCB that i took out 2.5 years ago…

Quiz…
result…

1. Smoke
  2. Blue Screen
  3. Standby led (red-blue-cycle)
1 Like
  1. time for new T.V. ?
2 Likes

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my skill :wink:

4 Likes

LOL , nah you can do it !

2 Likes

Well, after having received my order of components (which was beating me for a while), I start to assemble my 2 new FC power supply, impatient to be able to test all the recently built modules, … and shit more conductive paste for the heat for heatsink / transistor !

I order this and I go back again to the modules …
I think I would have finished filling the new case before having the power supply

a little stressful to not having tested them yet, but I advance anyway we will see much later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get one of these for your workbench (but as @philippejadin says, make sure to put it in a nice enclosure):

or cheaper/safer, one of these and power it from a USB battery pack:

(the second is only 2 W but that’s enough for many modules. There are more powerful options as well, e.g. Recom does 6 W converters in the same absurdly tiny form factor, but TME didn’t have them in stock. There’s also larger form factors with a bit more power.)

EDIT: Turns out the 2W I linked to is a “Medical Grade Unregulated Converter” which is maybe not the right thing :grinning: Will take another look at what they have when I find the time.

2 Likes

Today…
Having trusted a footprint in KiCad, blew a Bridge rectifier as the pins were wrong

Same PCB, found my “ISOLATED” 5V line was not being used and only the real 5V was in use due to my misunderstanding of nets

Same PCB, the above rectifier took out the 7805, which in itself was bodged on the wrong size footprint.

Slowly getting a collection of fairly useless board!

2 Likes

made an etched PCB but the layout was mirror-inverted, it worked with the IC’s belly up :orangutan:

3 Likes

Somewhere in the multiverse, somebody else has the exact circuit board you wanted, but it’s useless to them. What you need is some kind of L-Space courier service.

5 Likes

Discworld references get 1000 cool points.
ook.

6 Likes

Now you tell me…

2 Likes

I occasionally used to have the privilege of chatting with the man himself on his Usenet group, alt.fan.pratchett. I recall once in a post he expressed frank surprise that many people did not understand his reference to dogs with orange eyebrows. Elaborate theories were discussed. Terry was forced to wonder aloud if anybody had heard of rottweilers.

5 Likes

vibrates with jealousy

1 Like

Changed out five output resistors on my new module, was only going to change four but geez those things all look alike. In the process it appears I destroyed three solder pads. It was the first time that’s happened and the first time I used those desoldering needles so I’m just gonna blame them.

3 Likes

I used to hang out on afp myself. Perhaps you and I interacted way back then.

3 Likes

If they are through hole components you can mount them on the solder side.

2 Likes

Make your own footprints they said. It’ll be fun they said. :woman_facepalming:

(or maybe I misheard and they said funny)

EDIT: After inspection, it turns out the footprint was fine, but I used a non-polarized capacitor in the schematics by mistake, so pin-assignment ended up being a bit random… :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

That IS a nice footprint tho. Was trying to explain to the lady why I was going through the trouble of putting extra art stuff on hidden sides…yeah I dunno haha

5 Likes

Yeah, got a bit tired of the standard white half-circles. And given how much time I spend looking at it, of course the PCB needs to look good also without components :smiley:

5 Likes

On my clock divider pcb I put 12v and ground flags right on the IDC connecter, therefore bypassing all the capacitors when going out to the rest of the circuit lol

1 Like