A litany of dumbassery

Different scenario, but reminds me of this page I ended up on yesterday:

When replacing guitar strings, never do so anywhere near an amplifier (especially a valve amp), nor close to a mains outlet. […] This is a real photo, taken of a mains plug that had a guitar string across the active and neutral pins.

https://sound-au.com/guitar-string.html

4 Likes

Reminds me of a time at my old work, we had custom built pedestals in the centre of desks for power and data.

I was doing some work requiring unplugging the pedestal from the floor box, fairly normal safe stuff that you don’t think anything of. but my fingers touched the L+N of one of the plugs and I got a Whack… I am holding this plug thinking " how has that got power it’s not in the socket!!!" I grabed my Meter and found 80V’s across the pins…

One of the contract electricans was passing by so I flagged him over… He was bemused somewaht but concluded that somewhere in the pedestal there was a wiring fault that linked one of the other 3 mains plugs to this one. Wiring in side was a mess with no containment to keep stray wires from being incorrectly connected.

I condemned the pedestals pending investigation ( much to the dismay of the resource owner and the school head teacher). No argument could counter risk of death.

The furniture builder came in and discussed the issue, including the fact there had been no electrical saftey testing. He said “My product is good and I will Stand by it.” My response, " Don’t mind standing by it but I am not B…y touching it"

A few weeks later they were returned from reworking, independently inspected and put back in service.

2 Likes

Somehow within 2 hrs of receiving my #2001 sequencer I have managed to loose both the jack boards.

Had them at home, took the box to my workshop, went to check something with the jack boards and they have vanished…

3 Likes

Jacks are overrated. Just solder your patches directly.

3 Likes

I spent the previous evening looking for the sensor kit for a car electronic ignition module set… Found that on the 60th attempt, then realised I had not even got the actual module and spent ages looking for that… I think I am loosing my marble.

1 Like

Have you checked the fridge?

3 Likes

one moment… (fill 2 20 )

2 Likes

more stuff in there than i was expecting, no jack boards and no beer.

5 Likes

no beer :frowning_face:
did you turn off and back on again , just remember to turn back on though !

2 Likes

sigh…

‘upgrade’ my case’s PSU from 1x microbus to 3x routemaster, and got myself a nice fat hum. And of course I find out áfter mounting each and every module. Sigh…

3 Likes

Buy 3x PSU, get a drone free

1 Like

what a deal!! An offer I couldn’t refuse…

1 Like

Oh no!! I’m putting mine together now. Any idea what happened?

1 Like

I will get back to you once I did some troubleshooting, but I suspect the ground connection between the PSUs is not solid enough and picking up noise from the transformer.

2 Likes

@zorch, I took this over to the PSU thread:

1 Like

I started off putting all three of my power indicator LED in backwards. So far it seems to be behaving.

4 Likes

Well of course I realized these push buttons were normally closed when I bought them, surely you don’t think I could have missed that.

4 Likes

I think that one can be forgiven, who would think to check if a push button is NC…

I gave myself a headache looking at Tayda’s site last night. There are nine similar-looking push buttons.

type cap terminal mount SKU
OFF-(ON) green high cap board mount nut A-3545
OFF-(ON) red high cap board mount nut A-3499
OFF-(ON) black high cap solder lug nut A-3489
ON-(OFF) green round cap solder lug press in A-3488
OFF-(ON) red round cap solder lug press in A-3486
OFF-(ON) black round cap solder lug press in A-3487
OFF-(ON) black flat cap with LED red solder lug nut A-3485
OFF-(ON) green flat cap with LED yellow solder lug nut A-3595
OFF-(ON) red flat cap with LED white solder lug nut A-3490

Makes sense, right? Right!

4 Likes

and you managed to pick the one . I have ordered smd parts when I needed dip ic’s a couple times by not watching what I was ordering . it sucks when you have to wait on that one part to complete project .

1 Like