A beginner's guide to the components of a modular synthesizer

I have. It just wasn’t what I had in mind, but that’s okay :slight_smile: The important thing is that the information is somewhere on the site for people to reference so thank you @Dud, @antoine.pasde2, @Maxhirez for putting so much work to create the content. I certainly appreciate it and I’m sure others will too. If I knew more about it I would contribute. However, if you need me to research something for anyone or anything I can at least do that. Just let me know. I’m happy to help and to contribute to the community that has helped me so much already.

4 Likes

9 - 2399 3x SPLASHBACK DELAY :

The delay is a module to make some echo to your sound. Internally there are three delay units. Each one takes an input signal, delays it for some amount of time, and sends out a mix of the original (“dry”) signal and the delayed (“wet”) signal. The output is also fed back into the input so there are multiple “echoes”.

INPUT : enter for the signal

OUTPUT : the out of the module

ON/OFF SWITCH : when it is OFF the signal passes through without being affected by the module, and when ON the module operates
(an LED just above the switch indicates its state)

CV IN : with an external signal you can control the TIME from another module.

CV ATTENUATOR : controls how much the CV IN affects TIME

MIX 1 / 2 / 3 : adjusts the intensity level of each delay

HI/LOW SWITCH : allows you to choose whether to apply a low pass filter to the output of the effect

SPLASHBACK 1/2/3 : adjusts the feedback level of each delay

TIME: regulates the basic delay time for all three delay units

TIME 2/3 : regulates the additional delay time (above TIME) for the second and third delay units

8 Likes

thanks @analogoutput for corrections and additions for the Delay !

5 Likes

Very Excellent thread, will answer a lot of peoples questions on the Modules…

Well Done!

4 Likes

Thanks for that, great topic, I’m trying hard to learn about modular synths and how the various types of inputs and outputs are connected up (and why). Then that would give me a direction to go in with actual hardware.

3 Likes

10 - BUFFERED MULTIPLE

Buffered Multiple is a module that allows you to multiply a signal.
One enter signal and you have the same signal to severals out.

Here 1 input for 4 output, and again the same things down 1 input for 4 output.

Indicator Led : to indicate if the enter signal is positive or negative
Red = positive and Green = negative

You can for example multiply a VCO to have many voices
You can multiply a Clock signal to send the same clock to several modules.
Very used, multiply a Envelope to send the same Env. to the VCF and also to the VCA

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Which seems quite backwards to me, but you can always just install the LED the other way around if you like green for positive.

7 Likes

You’re using green wires for +12V and red for −12V? That’s almost as bad as eurorack power cables :grinning:

5 Likes

Setting up a breadboard battery power supply using a couple of 9V PP3 batteries the other day, I was faced with the question of colour coding. In the end I went with red for positive, black for ground, and blue for negative. Incidentally my multimeter gives the voltage of the new nominally 9V PP3s as closer to 12V, which if accurate is probably even better for my purposes.

I’m just going to be playing with op amp circuit designs, so it’s not that critical anyway.

3 Likes

Wires and lights are different. Green light means go (positive acceleration), red means stop (negative acceleration).

I kinda wanted @CTorp’s Switched Multiples to have an amber LED in between, but it’d be complicated making that work.

5 Likes

I really don’t think traffic lights are any more relevant than electric wires in this context :smiley:

(I mean, the only thing moving here is electrons, and they’re moving forward when the voltage is negative, so with that notion shouldn’t green be −12V and red be 0 V? :grinning:)

6 Likes

Electrons don’t exist, don’t tell me you believe in them.

5 Likes

I can settle this-just use a black LED. Don’t have one? You can make one very easily, all you need is any color of LED and 240v.

4 Likes

It’s frogs all the way down.

4 Likes

LOL black led

4 Likes

Does it dim the light in the room :rofl:

5 Likes

tell me more. is it a red LED with tinted windows?

3 Likes

clear red with black sharpie . funny it looks completely black when it is off and you can still see red when it is on , hhhhmmmm … :thinking:

7 Likes

That is just genius!

1 Like

actually I was just being silly but it might look cool on the " black out " module set .

3 Likes