A myriad of modulators(Sonosus' painfully slow build progress)

Hey everyone,

My next project is going to be a triple oscillator module using the Electric Druid VCDO.
(cross post from mail day thread)
What I’m hoping for is to have 3 of the Electric Druid VCDO chips, with one Wave CV input. Each oscillator will receive a slightly offset wave CV from the original - governed by another pot and CV input.
(end of cross post)
I’m just prototyping at the moment, no hard/fast decisions have been made yet so I’m open to ideas/criticisms.
I’ve done a hasty block diagram:

Also I need a name for it:
Wave-O-Matic?
WWWOSC?
Waveonator?
WaveOPhone?
I’m no good at making up names :upside_down_face:

Thanks
Sonosus

3 Likes

Hmmm what about Tripple OZz

2 Likes

3D-O-Matic?
20chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 Like

Swarm (with credit to @heckseven)

1 Like

Cool!

What’s the point of having the different offsets via CV? Are you expecting to play chords, or just thicken the sound?

Most “spread” I’ve seen is usually a single value, so for 3 oscillators, there’ll be one +offset and -offset to the same value. I can see having a CV on that be useful though.

I haven’t forgotten about this. I tried out a few other layouts. I just didn’t want to distract from Cake any more than I already have.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m just planning to thicken the sound(need more breadboards and 10k resistors to prototype 3 atm though!) because just one sounds a bit too ‘digital’ for my liking - analogue oscillators have a much richer sound. (imho).

1 Like

Okay, I’ve decided that there’s too much functionality in these chips to justify having 3 in a single module. I’m going to design an oscillator module, and then also a ‘Kosmic Superspreader’.
It will have an input, 3 outputs (+,-, and mult)
a CV input, a spread knob, and CV amount knob.
Basically @BlackDeath 's spread concept, in a module.
(The name for the single oscillator will be Kosmic Mutator :grinning: )

4 Likes

<3

20chr, 20, 20, 20

2 Likes

Falstad prototype of the spread module completed - now breadboard, blinkylights and a pcb.

edit: all resistors will be 100k, falstad just wants them equal.

2 Likes

Inkscaping in progress…
this

or this?

I think the second one looks nicer but the first fits in with the font more(Terminator Two, if anyone is interested).

Second one, unless you google “kerning” and fix the first one :wink:

1 Like

You know, you can edit the title of the topic to match changing design decisions, just saying…

1 Like

The first “A” is much nicer than the second one.
But as @BlackDeath pointed out, there is way too much space between the T and the A, and it’s easy to fix (but I don’t know how to in Inkscape, but google knows)

2 Likes

Like @eric, i prefere the first one, but too much space

maybe something like this

2 Likes

Fixed! Thanks @BlackDeath, I am now not quite as bad at Inkscape as I was before.

4 Likes

I designed a Kosmo version of Winterbloom’s Big Honking button.

It’s a basic sampler that can be updated over USB.
I’m planning on using one of these buttons:

More info to come tomorrow when I put it all on Github.

6 Likes