A beginner's guide to the components of a modular synthesizer

The top post is wiki editable, so you can edit it with a table of contents if you desire. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know, but I’ll let @Dud decide if he likes the idea.

3 Likes

yes I had thought about it too, it would actually be more practical, that’s also why I made a wiki.

Someone can plz completed the explication on ADSR for Time/Duration pot, i have not this module ready and don’t know exactely what it’s this fonction :slight_smile:

1 Like

6 - TRIGGER SEQUENCER “THE BIG BUTTON” :

It is a 6 channel sequencer that allows you to send a signal to trigger other modules.
Important : It needs to receive a clock signal to operate.

• CLOCK INPUT : with an external clock you set the speed of the sequencer

• CHANNEL SELECT : there are 6 channels, select for example channel 1 and the trigger signal will come out from the OUTPUT 1 when you press the Big Button or the Fill button.

• 6 TRIGGER OUTPUTS : are the 6 outputs that will be connected to the modules that we want to trigger

• SHUFFLE : “random mix”

• STEP SELECT : with this pot you can choose the number of steps in the sequence (1/2/4/8/16 or 32)

• BANK SELECT : 2 banks, you can record 2 sequences for the same channel, and switch from one to the other using this button.

• CLEAR PATTERN : allows to erase the pattern of the selected channel entirely

• DELETE ONE SHOT : unlike CLEAR, you can delete the “notes” one by one.

• FILL : Pressing this button causes a rapid succession of triggers on the selected channel, to create an effect similar to a drum roll.

• RESET : an impulse on this switch and the sequence restarts at the beginning

• BIG BUTTON SWITCH : used to record sequences manually.

This sequencer can trigger a kick, snare … and a whole bunch of drum modules, but it can also be interesting to use it in an Envelope, a VCA, the SYNC IN of VCLFO …

5 Likes

If someone would like the details of one module ?
ask and i will try

2 Likes

Adding the description of a note sequencer such as the Keyboard Sequencer or the Baby 8 could be good as you mention the use of a sequencer in the VCO description, but the Big Button sequencer is not of the appropriate type to drive the VCO.
The mixer is the next missing essential modules.
And then passive attenuator, multiple, atennuverter, and the elusive final output module.

4 Likes

I thought that my proposal was for beginners who would have a problem with a module that does not really understand :wink:
but yes the sequencer is a good idea, for the others you propose I might take photos of my modules to illustrate because Sam has not yet done them on his site (multiple, mixer …), although they are quite simple to understand even by a beginner, but as soon as I have a little time I put it there

and thanks to all for your add and corrections !

1 Like

7 - 8 STEP KEYBOARD SEQUENCER :

A sequencer allows to send a CV signal of different values ​​on each step to a VCO CV IN for example (but not only), to have a different note at each step.

Without an external clock you can still use the keyboard manually to send CV, but for it to scroll by itself from step to step you will need an external clock.

INDICATOR LED : allows to view the scrolling sequence

PITCH POT (1) : 8 pitch potentiometers (all the line), one for each step, to adjust the strength of the signal sent on the corresponding CV OUT for each step

PITCH POT (2) : the same thing like the PITCH POT (1) but for the second line

GATE OUT : each step can send a gate signal to another module

MANUAL KEYBOARD : you can play with it during a sequence , but also without clock in, when you press one of these buttons, the corresponding voltages are output on the CV OUT.

MANUAL STEP : without external clock you can move forward or backward step by step manually with this switch (to adjust the tune for each step before starting a sequence for example )

CLOCK IN (B) : clock in Backward, with an external clock in this jack the sequence goes backward

CLOCK IN (F) : clock in Forward, with an external clock in this jack the sequence goes forward

RESET INPUT : to restart the sequence at the start with an external trigger

RESET SWITCH : to restart manually the sequence at the start

KEYBOARD GATE OUT : send a gate signal to another module with the keyboard button

CV OUT (1) : it’s the OUTPUT CV for line 1

CV OUT (2) : it’s the OUTPUT CV for line 2

Example of simple patch with this module, a VCO and a LFO :

• LFO OUTPUT (square wave) to trigger the sequencer (in CLOCK IN Forward), CV OUT (1) of sequencer in CV IN of the VCO : and play with all the PITCH POT (1) to change the tune of each step.

• You can also take a GATE OUT of one step to trigger a VCA, ADSR, VCF …
    Or also the CV OUT (2) to tune another VCO to make some 2 notes “chords”

• Also you can connect the GATE OUT of one step to the RESET IN to make a shorter sequence

2 Likes

8 - QUAD VCA MIXER :

In fact it is a mixture of 2 modules: a VCA (Voltage Control Amplifier) ​​and a MIXER (to mix different signals to only one output.

INPUT : this is the signal input

CV INPUT : controls the gain of the VCA, typically comes from an envelope generator, or an LFO

INVERT SWITCH : When activated, an offset equivalent to +5.6V is added to the input CV, this is typically used with inverted envelopes that are at 0V at rest and go negative when active, that way, the audio signal passes continuously and when an inverted envelope arrives the audio signal is reduced or even completely cutoff.

INDICATOR LED VCA : to signal what voltages are affecting the VCA

VOLUME POT : potentiometer to adjust the output level of the VCA

OUT : OUTPUT individual output for each VCA channel. When a jack is plugged into one of these outputs, the corresponding signal no longer goes to the mixer.

ON/OFF OUT SWITCH : to select to open or not each channel out.

INDICATOR LED ON/OFF OUT : to indicate which channel is open (not muted)

GENERAL OUTPUT : or Master OUTPUT it’s the output jack if you want to mix all the input together

GENERAL VOLUME OUT pot : potentiometer for adjust the level of the MASTER OUTPUT.

It’s a QUAD VCA MIXER module so it’s the same things 4 times (for the other pots, switches and jacks)

Example of a simple patch with this module :

A VCO OUT in the INPUT 1 of the VCA MIXER + a LFO OUTPUT to drive the CV INPUT of the VCA MIXER
Another VCO OUT (or the same but the first OUT of Triangle wave and the second OUT of the Saw wave) into the INPUT 2 of the VCA mixer, the same LFO (the VCLFO has several outputs) to drive the CV INPUT 2 of the VCA MIXER and test this channel with the INVERT SWITCH (the 2 VCOs will respond)
take the MASTER OUTPUT of the VCA MIXER in your system.

if you have seen the other small simple patches of the other modules, you can therefore as well before the VCA MIXER pass the VCO through a VCF, also the LFO first by the ADSR …

3 Likes

Yes, that was my point in wanting to take just the information about Sam’s modules and pin it as a read only. This way comments are not possible and one or a couple of people would have access to edit it / add new modules as Sam releases them. This way it is kept clean and clutter free. I think we should have two separate threads. One that just has Sam’s modules in it and one that has information about non-Sam created modules, components and how they work (which I saw someone did…Dud I think?) and terminology, etc… I realize some information would be duplicated on both, but it would allow users to find information on just Sam’s modules right away. I figure that since we are all on his forum that most of the people are coming to find information about his modules. If it were a site like Muffwiggler then I could see lumping everything together.

I’m a UI/UX website designer. (User Interface / User Experience) so I can’t help but have my work hat on. :slight_smile:

I’m sitting here at work right now conducting user research and watching videos of users click through sites to complete tasks and it is painstaking watching people click on 100 things in order to find the one thing they were looking for. :scream_cat:

3 Likes

I think the table of contents implemented in the first post solves most of the issue, have you taken a look?
And the topic is now pinned.

4 Likes

I have. It just wasn’t what I had in mind, but that’s okay :slight_smile: The important thing is that the information is somewhere on the site for people to reference so thank you @Dud, @antoine.pasde2, @Maxhirez for putting so much work to create the content. I certainly appreciate it and I’m sure others will too. If I knew more about it I would contribute. However, if you need me to research something for anyone or anything I can at least do that. Just let me know. I’m happy to help and to contribute to the community that has helped me so much already.

4 Likes

9 - 2399 3x SPLASHBACK DELAY :

The delay is a module to make some echo to your sound. Internally there are three delay units. Each one takes an input signal, delays it for some amount of time, and sends out a mix of the original (“dry”) signal and the delayed (“wet”) signal. The output is also fed back into the input so there are multiple “echoes”.

INPUT : enter for the signal

OUTPUT : the out of the module

ON/OFF SWITCH : when it is OFF the signal passes through without being affected by the module, and when ON the module operates
(an LED just above the switch indicates its state)

CV IN : with an external signal you can control the TIME from another module.

CV ATTENUATOR : controls how much the CV IN affects TIME

MIX 1 / 2 / 3 : adjusts the intensity level of each delay

HI/LOW SWITCH : allows you to choose whether to apply a low pass filter to the output of the effect

SPLASHBACK 1/2/3 : adjusts the feedback level of each delay

TIME: regulates the basic delay time for all three delay units

TIME 2/3 : regulates the additional delay time (above TIME) for the second and third delay units

8 Likes

thanks @analogoutput for corrections and additions for the Delay !

5 Likes

Very Excellent thread, will answer a lot of peoples questions on the Modules…

Well Done!

4 Likes

Thanks for that, great topic, I’m trying hard to learn about modular synths and how the various types of inputs and outputs are connected up (and why). Then that would give me a direction to go in with actual hardware.

3 Likes

10 - BUFFERED MULTIPLE

Buffered Multiple is a module that allows you to multiply a signal.
One enter signal and you have the same signal to severals out.

Here 1 input for 4 output, and again the same things down 1 input for 4 output.

Indicator Led : to indicate if the enter signal is positive or negative
Red = positive and Green = negative

You can for example multiply a VCO to have many voices
You can multiply a Clock signal to send the same clock to several modules.
Very used, multiply a Envelope to send the same Env. to the VCF and also to the VCA

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Which seems quite backwards to me, but you can always just install the LED the other way around if you like green for positive.

8 Likes

You’re using green wires for +12V and red for −12V? That’s almost as bad as eurorack power cables :grinning:

5 Likes

Setting up a breadboard battery power supply using a couple of 9V PP3 batteries the other day, I was faced with the question of colour coding. In the end I went with red for positive, black for ground, and blue for negative. Incidentally my multimeter gives the voltage of the new nominally 9V PP3s as closer to 12V, which if accurate is probably even better for my purposes.

I’m just going to be playing with op amp circuit designs, so it’s not that critical anyway.

3 Likes