8-Step Arduino Sequencer

Any unused ports on a chip or arduino can create odd effects sometimes. It can be good practice not to leave a "loose’ connection based on previous projects and what I’ve read. I am not an expert in this area; learning like you. Just trying to give you a steer.

2 Likes

Thanks! It works! Added an extra pull down resistor on the reset switch… Now everything is working great!

Edit: yelled too early. Clock in is still being weird without me touching ground… Looking for some more pull down resistors to place. Trial and error…

Edit: edit: Now I really think it works. Think I put the pull down resistors wrong, or the schematic is wrong or … Put the resistors after the diode… Not on the jack. of all the pull down resistors.

3 Likes

What exactly did you do, re wired my arduino pcb today no switches in the equation but otherwise exactly as Schematic. Get good behavior as long as I’m holding the panel but freaks out when I let go.

1 Like

Well I can’t see it in this picture. But if you look at your input jacks, There’s a diode and 10k resistor at the jack. They look to be both connected at the jack… However I placed the resistor AFTER the diode. So the pull down resistor can actually pull down the resistance… At least that’s how I understand it now. Because otherwise the diode is blocking the current flow.

If my wording is too vague… I’ll post a picture.

I’m not crazy about those diodes anyway. I think they’re meant to protect against negative inputs, but I think Schottky diodes to ground and Vcc would be better. The Arduino already has protection diodes so they’re probably optional, but I’d probably use them anyway.

1 Like

So you just moved the three resistor legs eh? Gonna try lol

1 Like

Yup! That solved it for me… The switch still skips sometimes… And gate doesn’t seem to work… But all the rest is working great.

2 Likes

Its got separation anxiety!

Yep fixed it for me. Thanks a lot bro! What’s wrong with your gate?

3 Likes

Interesting picture. What is that equipment I see in the background?

Well, individual gates give about 3.5v… Which doesn’t trigger my Korg ms-20… Apparantly. the general gate gives a constant 0.5v . Probably hooked up something wrong there… Maybe the 3.5v is normal? We’ll see… Had some fun with it this evening… Some sequenced filter action!

3.5V would not be normal from a 5V Arduino…

Maybe this is a matter of long wires on your pcb that pick up an electromagnetic field.
Are there any wires that are connected to switches that do not have pull up or down resistors added to them, either in physical form or within the arduino? Those might be ‘ill’ defined with unknown states and prone to respond to any electromagnetic field.

1 Like

Right so, the pull down situation at the jacks is solved. It’s moving along correctly. I just put the switches back in and getting problems again. There are no resistors on the switches. In this case a pull up since the switch is just connected to 5v?

Can I have a look at the schematic somewhere?

No. You use a pullup or a pulldown at an input to define what voltage should be seen if there’s no input present. The switches aren’t inputs, they just feed 5V to the same place the input jacks go. In the center position they don’t connect to anything so shouldn’t cause problems, and when you flip them one way or the other they connect +5V to the Arduino pin, and that shouldn’t cause problems either, unless there’s something wrong with the +5V connection to the switch.

1 Like

Have you taken note of this: “REMEMBER TO SOLDER THE RED WIRES TO THE ARDUINOS 5V PIN. AND THE GREEN WIRES TO THE GROUND PINS!”

Particularly all the switches are interconnected with a red line, which leads nowhere in the schematic. But that is probably what the remark is for.

3 Likes

Yep yep all connected. First I ran it without the switches and just had the jacks go straight to arduino. Works good. Put the switches and no good

According to the schematic each button should be connected via a resistor to the GND and a diode to the keyboard gate, the other side of the button should be connected to +5V. Is that the case in your build?