8-Step Arduino Sequencer

I made some place on the panel for the rotary switch bank select.

before

after

i drill 2 new hole and cut a little piece of aluminium, with black paint to hide the old hole.

I also put the select Forward Backward swith instead of the Forward Backward Step momentary switch (to tune each step the keyboard do already the job).

I wait for 1K resistors for rotary swith to finish it.

5 Likes

@analogoutput, I am currently doing an article on my website on the new version that I just finished and which is working well !!!

I’ll put the link to your site and the GitHub for the schematic.
But it bothers me a little because the schem is allways not updated with the good rotary & buttons pin’s numbers.
Can you do it soon please.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you’re referring to, what’s not updated? Which document(s) and what specific things in those documents?

Boutons & Rotary pin is wrong in the schem

code match with stripboard pin (Rotary A0 …) but not with schem (Rotary A7) and the Butons order to.

I see the problem. Schematic symbol has the pins in increasing order downward while the actual chip has increasing order upward. I thought I was fixing it but I was getting it backwards. Will fix.

Should be right now? Please check.

1 Like

That 's OK thx !

I add the 8step sequence also on the twelfth pin of the rotary switch (that was not used) to have it near the Random one :slight_smile:

A short vid

Nothing has changed in the code compared to the old version. I change the order of 3 resistors, 2 wires to move, add the rotary switch and it’s done. A tip for anyone with the old version: it’s definitely worth it :wink:

5 Likes

I like the idea Sam mentioned in today’s Patreon video, where if you hold down multiple buttons it’ll cycle through those stages. Should be a not too tricky code modification.

5 Likes

Yeah would be a good thing to add for sure. I barely use the buttons now. My sequencer almost always is controlling one vca and the filter cutoff and let my beatstep/keystep handle pitch and gate

1 Like

Sounds like you could use the new one (4 outputs)!

1 Like

In my version, I’ve implemented the change thought up by @lookmumnocomputer:

If two or more buttons are held down then those are the only stages the sequencer uses. For example hold buttons 1, 3, 5 and with rotary switch set to any of 2–8, forward clocks will produce pattern 1, 3, 5, 1, 3, 5…; with switch in INC position pattern will be 1, 3, 5, 5, 3, 1; and so on.

This is purely a software change. The new software source code is at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/holmesrichards/8StepSequencer/master/Software/sequencer/sequencer.ino

7 Likes

Holy magoly!! It took longer than I expected, but I’m happy to say the sequencer PCB works…for the most part. It’s still a work in progress, but thankfully there aren’t any glaring issues aside from the lack of a trigger out and a problem with the off switches. Other than that it seems perfectly useable, and luckily I wasn’t left with a bunch of paperweights! :smile:

7 Likes

I built one, had a day of troubleshooting afterwards, and then my wife promptly told me she didn’t like it because of the lack of a common gate output and tasked me to design something else.

10 Likes

looks amazing!

20chars

There is a common gate output for the buttons. For clock-generated steps an OR of the step gates would just be on all the time, except between a reset and the next clock. Not that useful.

What would be more useful is a trigger, not a gate, on each step. But that could be generated externally using a copy of the clock signal. Or you could kludge together a gate-to-trigger circuit and connect it to the clock pin. (And then you’d have to find room for an output jack.)

1 Like

Yeah, I know this. It just turned out to not be the module she wanted.
I explained all that and then to satisfy tied all the step gates to the kb gate jack (since it’s all diode protected anyways) and of course it was always high.

She wants something with pauses and saved patterns and a built-in quantitizer, and different algorithms. In short, a completely different module.

Step triggers aren’t super useful for her, there’s not a lot of drums involved in her ambient music workflow.

I personally could care less about making music. For me it’s just a never ending bespoke electronics project.

2 Likes

Reposting due to link changes:

Github repository here

includes schematics here

and Arduino sketch here

6 Likes

Hi! It has been a long time I haven’t posted anything, after a few attempts on several projects I finally managed to build the first version. I really have to give this new version a try. Was just wondering if anyone had stripboard drawings of the new board, and also I wanted to add an 8x8 matrix light for the step count to 64. Was wondering if anyone could help me out. And sorry for just popping in without posting for months…

1 Like
3 Likes

Do you mean the new version Sam’s been working on? AFIAK it hasn’t been released yet. Above is a link to the stripboard for the one I built but it’s basically the same as Sam’s 8 step original, I did include bypass caps, an external voltage regulator, and Schottky diodes for protection of the Arduino pins.

1 Like

Great thanks! I really have to start building! Adding the rotary is great, it actually brings me to another question. Does anyone know how to code An Arduino quantizer/sequencer. For example what if the rotary or a second rotary could add scales into the sequencer? I know people do it on PIC programmers but it’s hard to understand. I basically have a collection of scales I would love to sum up into the sequencer. I haven’t heard about AFIAK. I was more wondering if I could light up an 8x8 matrix with the sequencer. So let’s say the Arduino is coded into the 16 step sequencer. It’s just a cool ad on I guess just for fun to see where we are in the sequence etc. Sorry, there is a lot in this paragraph maybe :sunny: