8-Step Arduino Sequencer

@CTorp Haha thanks for the response! That’s awesome of you :smiley:

Schematic is exactly as Sams is - though, honestly, reading through the above thread made me wonder if I should try and change some things such as the positioning of the resistors and etc. The only thing i’ve changed is the pin numbers for step buttons 7 and 8 being mixed up in the code.

The switches are ‘bouncy’… though buttons 1-6 are just fine. Buttons 7&8 give nothing.

Thanks for the heads up to the phrase ‘floating pins’, hadn’t heard of it (i’m new to this)! Just watched a short video on it and it seems that that is exactly what’s happening. Also explains the weird flickering of the first LED sometimes, false positives somewhere. Very odd that the switches did work at one point and then started acting bouncy after I fixed some incorrect grounding from the buttons. I wonder if I could go into the code and make everything pull up internally.

Sorry if I still sound a bit too lost to be posting on the forum, i’m not great at communicating about electronics currently.

6 Likes

Try adding the 10k resistor to the “zero cv” switch (there will be nothing connected there if u followed Sam’s) and moving the others to the other side of the diodes coming off the jacks. Those diodes would be blocking the path to path back to ground if connected as pictured

8 Likes

yeah mine didn’t work quite right either , been on the fix pile for a bit of time…

The back is still on the fritz on mine. We should have a sequencer troubleshooting party!

4 Likes

Ive been noticing lately that a lot of sequencers use a clock signal from a separate module to run a sequence. Since Sam’s uses an Arduino is there any reason not to program it to act as an internal clock instead?

Controlling the clock speed would be an issue. It could be done using a potentiometer but as I recall there are no left over analog pins to hook the pot to. In my version of the sequencer I doubled up the Button 1 and Reset inputs because in fact both do the same thing, which freed up an analog pin for the rotary switch I was adding, so you could do that for a clock control pot instead.

4 Likes

Could you multiplex one of the analog pins and provide control that way? Or add a MIDI in.
Sorry im rambling (time for meds)

1 Like

Good idea combining the two. If having enough analog pins free is the only trade off then I’ll just take that approach. I’d rather be able to control the rate from the sequencer so I won’t have to dedicate an lfo to it.

1 Like

Multiplexing might be an option. I don’t really know much about MIDI tbh,but where there’s a will there’s a way.

1 Like

A clock source is useful for things besides sequencers — sample and hold, for instance. And @CTorp has a 2.5 cm wide LFO that could be used for that. Of course another option is to generate the clock with the sequencer and then provide a clock output jack.

4 Likes

Interesting, I’ll be looking into that LFO. I’ve heard about sample and hold, but I’m not familiar with how it can be used in music.

A S&H is a random signal module, trigger by a clock, it can be use in a VCO CV IN to have an fx like an old computer room (bleep bleep blop …), but it’s a voltage so you can use it like you want to make some random in a VCA, a VCF …, for exemple in the CV IN of an Hi Hat to make some randumly open accent… also for generative music to not repeat the same thing several time.

3 Likes

Doesn’t have to be random, it depends what you feed it with. It can take an LFO ramp and turn it into a stairstep, for instance.

4 Likes

yes of course there’s many possibilities, a video is more explicit than words, i find this one for nice musical fx with S&H

2 Likes

Isn’t that similar to what an analog to digital converter does?

1 Like

The sample bit yes. The hold part is just outputting the sampled section.

1 Like

No, not really. An ADC converts an analog signal to a quantized digital approximation. A sample and hold’s output is neither digital nor really quantized — or in a sense it’s quantized in time, rather than in amplitude.

4 Likes

Also usually the sample and hold is dealing with CV, whereas digitisation is usually applied to audio signals.

4 Likes

So let me see if I have this right. A s&h module samples the voltage of an input signal at some rate of time (determined by the rate of a gate signal) and keeps outputting that voltage until a new sample is stored? Unlike with an ADC, the s&h signal isn’t assigned a binary value based on its amplitude. So the voltage out of a s&h would be a continuous value, while the voltage out of the ADC would be discrete.

3 Likes

That’s right. The output value is just whatever the input value was the last time a clock pulse came in. And of course the output of an ADC would not be a single voltage but a digital bit pattern.

3 Likes