8 step sequencer build in circular layout

I am sure I saw some examples of the basic 8 step sequencer with the knobs and LEDs in a circular formation instead of the straight line that Sam and most other similar projecteers have done, but, now I am sat down to wrestle with my layout, I can’t find any examples to take inspiration from.

It’s painfully obvious that the linear layout is easier and makes more sense, but I have this vision of the 8 step in the centre of my case like some kind of focal point of the whole thing and I really don’t wanna give up on that idea just yet.

So, who’s done it and who can show me how they did (it)

Examples of the linear layout to convince me otherwise are more than welcome too.

5 Likes

I used a design from HaraldsWerk to make these. I like them a lot.

7 Likes

there are all sorts of kits out there in all sorts of formats.

What problem are you having as it’s esentialy 8 knobs in a circle??

I went higher density linear…

1 Like

Hey @Kelaifu!

Not your conventional sequencer but check out ‘Euclidean sequencing’. These are effectively sequencers which use subdivisions of the metre to generate rhythms. For whatever reason these are really often set out in circular format, and you should be able to use some of their layouts as reference.

Edit: so I googled this and there’s far less of this than I remembered? Haha. It seemed so trendy a couple a years ago what happened to all the Euclidean modules? Regardless, it’s pretty cool and I hope it helps

5 Likes

no real problem, just wondering how others have arranged it, its 17 knobs, 8 LEDs, 8 buttons and 8+ jacks with Sam’s set up, I’m not sure I have a big enough panel…

1 Like

I think. owing to the fact that my panel is cut and I dont actually have enough potentiometers at the moment, I could just use this Haraldswerk design.

Could I just follow Sams guide and just skip 8 of the pots and the buttons?

1 Like

Aren’t the two rows just two separate CV outputs? There’s nothing in the design that requires you to add them both, you just get one CV less if you build one instead of two :slight_smile:

4 Likes

to be honest, I don’t understand this game enough to say, I was going to ask you guys…

But, if its 2 CV outs, could I achieve the same with 2 separate examples of a simplified 8 step?

Could end up with 2 hypnotic eyes spinning around the top of my synth, who doesn’t want that?

4 Likes

Well, sort of. But 1 row isn’t much of a simplification over 2 rows. Each row is just 8 pots and 8 diodes connected to one resistor and one jack. For two 1-row sequencers instead of one 2-row you’d have to duplicate the buttons, the step gate and KBD gate outputs, the controls, the trigger inputs, the LEDs, and of course the Arduinos. And then to use them together in the keyboard mode you’d have to press buttons on both at the same time, work the switches at the same time, etc. Of course on the other hand you could press different buttons at the same time, etc.; the two would be independent, with both benefits and drawbacks. If you were really clever you could work up a connection between the two Arduinos and have a switch enabling or disabling a mode where one Arduino controls both sequencers to use them like a 2-row sequencer… but that’d be ambitious.

If you want a circular arrangement you’d make concentric circles of 8 pots (or 2 circles), LEDs, buttons, and jacks, with the input and CV/KBD GATE output jacks and switches off on the sides or along the bottom. Maybe interleave the LEDs with the pots and the jacks with the buttons. And if you’re building Kosmo format squeezing that into 20 cm height would be… interesting. Pretty sure the arcade buttons would have to become much smaller push buttons, for instance, and you’d probably want 9 mm pots with small knobs (e.g. the 1/2" Davies clones so common in Eurorack). On the other hand, you could build it as a huge standalone panel, in its own tabletop enclosure or vertically mounted, with big knobs and buttons and looking quite imposing, probably a good 50 cm square at least. In fact probably more. Sam would probably want you to make him one for his museum.

For my own non circular, 40x20 cm layout (nearing completion, I hope) see here. It’s a modified design that adds a bunch of switches.

2 Likes

I’m going off on a tangent here, but what about if I built two units, one being a stripped down version with just the 8 pots, LEDs and CV out and a second unit the same, with an extra panel for the keyboard and 8 gate outs, am I just making my life more difficult?

Well, if you wanted both CVs when you pushed a button you’d have to come up with some way to make that work.

Your second one would be hardly less complex than the full 2-row version. Not sure what you’d be gaining here, other than each could be made smaller than a 2-row version.

the space is the main issue, I have 150mm height panels, but I am also kinda liking the idea of a pair of sequencers for looks. I should probably stop drinking coffee at 9pm.

2 Likes

Ah, 150 mm. Well then. Maybe build one sequencer, but with two or three circles adjacent rather than concentric?

1 Like

ah, that’s an idea, the same electrically, just spread over more case surface area…

Would there be any potential problems if I ended up adding a second row of LEDs for the branched off set of pots?

Can’t see why there would be.

Drawback to doing non concentric circles is instead of having all components for each of the 8 steps close together you’d have to run wires from one circle to the other, using more wire and making it harder to keep track of the wiring. Probably not a show stopper but something to consider.

3 Likes

you’ve been a great help. I’ll breadboard it tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks!

I just looked into this and it’s certainly something I’d like to add…later…

It would be interesting to see a DIY option, in my previous twiddlings I played around with RGB LED rings called neopixels w/ arduino, which would be perfect for an interface for a euclidean sequencer.

1 Like