#2000 Megadrone

Welcome :slight_smile:

that’s mean 2 separate drone of 5 osc with their own master pitch so their own power
with the PCB version i don’t really know if it’s possible (maybe cut some trace ? and add wire but … not simple i think)

or make a 2 x 10 :wink: , or don’t use the PCB and make your own split circuit

The Megadrone work with 12V and GND , but can work too with bipolar power, the easiest way would be to feed it with + 12 / GND / -12 to add something else like the Simple Delay (at down page) can be add before the output.

or you must find some schematics with only +12V/GND

2 Likes

mouser most likely does have everything its just a pain in the ass to find the way their search thing works you have to be a professional orderer to find what you are looking for . that said it seems to me [ like usual ] I got the parts from a few different places .

Sooooo I want to build another Megadrone for insane stereo action only to find that it’s ding dang sold out! Anyone out there with a pack of B-Stock that wants to sell me an extra? I’m in the US, can pay shipping from wherever.

Or maybe Sam will do a new run of kits?

2 Likes

hey they will be back in a few days! im packing them today funnily enough!

had quite a hold up this past month, also the safety valve module is going up this week too

5 Likes

This build is so straightforward; it’s embarassing how much hassle I’ve had with it.

First I socketed the MOSFETs, which was great, but the legs were too thick, so I de-soldered them all. I didn’t think to clip the legs down. That has meant I’ve had a whole bunch of problems with them since. One of them won’t work at all despite having replaced it numerous times, and a few others won’t react to the master tune knob.

Output wise I am getting sound at least. It’s very quiet, which isn’t a big deal as I can amplify it, but there’s a really loud humming noise which seems like a grounding issue that I can’t figure out.

I suspect I’ve cocked something up on the PCB, but can’t really face starting it all again with a new one. I’m just going to put it away in a drawer for a few months and forget about it until I get the enthusiasm to try again ha.

3 Likes

yeah I have a drawer like that … a really big drawer .

1 Like

Quite new to this, having a hard time finding all the right parts without having to order on 5 different sites, which ends up getting quite expensive considering tax and shipping to Norway… For me it would be so much easier if i could just buy a package containing all the components needed. Any tips on good sites? A site where they have almost everything needed to build this synth would be amazing

1 Like

The main sites I use are Mouser and Tayda. Tayda is generally cheaper and is good for the more common components(resistors, caps, jacks, etc).
Mouser is more expensive and the search function takes ages to navigate but they have pretty much everything you can imagine. A quick look at Tayda and they seem to have everything except the transistors, pots, and mosfets. Mouser should have the transistors and mosfets. Pots are a little more difficult - Tayda has them but are almost always out of stock. There is a thread on here about pots but I can’t find it at the moment. I’ve not built this module myself so don’t know if you can substitute from the ‘recommended components’ in the BOM.

https://eu.mouser.com
https://taydaelectronics.com

Hope that helps :grinning:

Edit: thread on potato pots is here:

3 Likes

Or this, from the FAQ category

4 Likes

so am i right in assuming a higher OSC CAP value the deeper the range?

so to get one like sam showed in a video where he had different osc’s covering a different range, you wanna use different caps over the 10 oscillators?

im guessing thats why people are socketing the caps! but why socket the MOSFETS?

1 Like

yes, and a smaller value for a higher range :slight_smile:

lol you edited so quickly!!

i reckon maybe i should socket them aswell . . . .

1 Like

yes for more differents test (taste)

1 Like

Don’t know much about MOSFETs but I’ve heard they’re easy to fry.

1 Like

what sockets are everyone using for the MOSFETs?

all my sockets are too small

Hey everyone, this is my first DIY build so I’m new to all this. I just finished soldering everything up and plugged in the Megadrone and it is not working. I first plugged it in with 9V 100mA power supply , then I plugged it into a 9V 1800mA power supply. Both didn’t work . I quickly realized I was supposed to be using 12V , so I plugged it in with a 12V 100 mA power supply , still nothing and followed that with a 12V 1800mA power supply.

Both times I used the 1800mA power supply I saw smoke.

I measured the resistors and noticed that the 10R, 680k , 10M and all of the 47k resistors resistance values have dropped considerably.

Do you think when I plugged in the 1800mA power supply too much current was sent through the resistors and that is why their values dropped ? Also are their any other components I may have destroyed from this ? Any help would be appreciated.

The only way to push too much current through a resistor is to use too high a voltage (ohm’s law: I=V/R), and it sounds like you’re well within specs on that front. Odds are you have a short somewhere, which caused the 10 ohm resistors to overheat.

(a 10 ohm resistor will die quickly if it gets the full 12 V across it, but you cannot really destroy a 47k resistor in that way, since the resulting power loss is a measly 3 mW, and much less than that for the higher values. Did you measure the lower values in circuit? That doesn’t necessarily work, since the current can take different ways through the circuit, messing with your measurements.)

3 Likes

I did have a bad solder joint on one of the LEDs, I fixed that. I measured the resistors individually on the board using the ohm setting on my multimeter and compared it to the resistors I have still in the package. the 47k resistors are giving me a measurement of 12.5k right now.

Yeah, resistance measurements in circuit are problematic — if there’s a smaller or similar resistance in parallel you’ll measure something significantly smaller. I wouldn’t worry about the resistors other than the 10R ones unless they’re actually smoking or something. Replace the 10R resistors and troubleshoot:

https://lookmumnocomputer.discourse.group/t/general-advice-for-troubleshooting-a-module/2049/2

3 Likes

That’s roughly what you’d expect from that circuit, assuming you’ve populated all 10 oscillators.

The 47k resistor is in series with a 10k potentiometer, and there are ten such 10k+47k pairs in parallel between +12 V and ground. If you measure the resistance across one of the 47k resistors, you have 47k in parallel with a 10k in series with nine 10k+47k parallel pairs, which is 47k||(10k+57k/9) or around 12.1k:

If you have a full short between +12 V and ground, you’d see 47k||10k instead which is about 8.2k.

4 Likes