#2000 Megadrone

Oh, duh! I didn’t even clock that. Thank you. I was too focussed on the caps. That makes sense.

1 Like

This makes sense. Thank you! Though now I am going to have to go and double check my LEDs as well…

3 Likes

My first build is the Megadrone and I’ve got some problems…

Powering via 12v power supply. When I power up I’m only getting sound from one of the oscillators, the rest aren’t making any noise. Only about half of the led’s light up ( yes all in the right way ).

Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting ? Suggestions gratefully received :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard!

Two quick things to try first - the wiki for ‘general troubleshooting’ (link below) and also your power supply; what are you using?

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I’m using a 12 volt power supply via barrel jack and not euro. I’ve reflowed any obvious cold joints.
Bizarrely I’ve discovered if I bridge the legs of R37 all leds light up, and it seems to work, except for the master volume ???

OK… but this is a regulated/smoothed power supply as opposed to one directly from a ‘Wall Wart’ type DC adaptor? Just wanted to check, as if it’s not then fluctuations in the DC may cause weird issues.

Yes it’s a wall wart supply. I’ll have to get hold of a euro power of some kind and try it with that.

I’ve just finished building the mega drone and I have done some troubleshooting. I’m using a variable output power supply with +/- 12v, there are no dry joints and the components are all correct. I can get all the leds to light up and I can hear the output on a small speaker, but it’s very quiet. All the controls do what they are supposed to do.
When I plug the module into my case with a eurorack power source everything still lights up but I don’t hear any sound.
Any suggestions to what might be causing this?

3 Likes

Baws. Everything was going so smoothly too. I had socketed the MOSFETs, but turns out the sockets were too thin for the legs. I couldn’t cut them down reliably, so ended up removing the sockets and soldering the MOSFETs on directly. However, in doing so, I managed to lift a pad on one of them. I’ve soldered some wires from the other side of the PCB and fed them through the whole which I’ll connect to the MOSFET… but now I have a horrible suspicion something will go wrong later. Ah well, at least I’ll know where to begin troubleshooting.

2 Likes

odd! is the wire that connects from the board to the jack the right way roundhabve you tried swapping the wires?

but not low enough to be inaudible so it may still be an issue I think

good luck! you never know sometimes there is a pleasant surprise haha

try swapping the mosfet!I had a whole batch that were not working, so yeah this is a mosfet problem did you solve it?

1 Like

not yet, but yeah it’s probably the mosfet…

1 Like

Finished mine last weekend and finally plugged it in and took a video last night. I used blue LEDs and added 10 rotary switches so each oscillator can be set to one of 6 capacitor values: 47uf, 22uf, 10if, 4.7uf, 2.2uf, or 1uf.

Here’s a video! It’s too dark to see the extra switches (because I make spooky music I am only allowed to jam in darkness) but I assure you they are just to the right of the Megadrone.

Here’s a picture of the capacitor selectors! These switches are cheap garbage, don’t use them, two of them broke just putting the knobs on.

11 Likes

Nice drone ! welcome in the forum

btw it’s LMNC not LMNK :wink:

The switches look like the ones Tayda sells, they don’t inspire a lot of confidence but I haven’t actually broken one yet.

4 Likes

yeah you have to hold the back of those switches when using push on knobs or it pops apart and the little balls go flying away , found that out the hard way .

3 Likes

hey,
So apologies in advance but im having a hard time finding all the components to build the megadrone in the US…seems mouser is the best place, but idk if im mistaken but i feel like they dont have everything and this is my first build besides kits with all the parts included. So tbh Im a bit overwhelmed. Its a bit tedious getting this all together which is chill but yeah not exactly sure about everything. The parts list is helpful but still at times i get confused. Wish there was some link with everythig in a cart and i can just log in lol and buy it all…everyone has there strengths and this realm is not something im super fluid with…YET.
-ALSO one other major thing is ive been really wanting to have is two master pitch knobs…to split the drones into 5 and 5 and control pitch with two knobs…any one have suggestions on how to do this? Also was wondering, I was day dreaming about adding a pt2399 sorta reverb/delay to my megadrone with cv and even if possible tube wavefolding/distortion…any suggestions in general how to add these sort of things to my megadrone…i have some extra eurorack modules ive built but taken out of my case and im wondering how i can add these to my megadrone box im building without eurorack powering the megadrone, if that makes sense. ok thanks. Again excuse me if some of this sounds amaturish…it is. NOObTown