1184 quad mixer vca (AKA 1183)

Thanks for the detailed explanation ( and historical note :slight_smile: ), I think I got most of that.
The video should confirm (or correct) my (mis)understanding.

As for the switches that I had to spread the pins of, I believe it is these ones:

What surprised me is that you didn’t use the same pin spacing for the SPDT and DPDT switch footprints.
The SPDT fit fine in the DPDT footprints as they have the same pin spacing as the DPDT.
This is how the SPDT (right) and DPDT compare, with and without spread pins.

2 Likes

ok! well since the brand of switches I usually use do fit into both ( I just checked) I made them different size as the dpdt some of them fit snugger than others which was a bit weird so I adjusted those and never came up against it with the SPST so they stayed snugger… from now on ill make the SPDT footprint the same. ill update it. and also if of use ill share the footprints for both.

4 Likes

So…Sam…one question (or anyone who can answer please) and one request please…

Question… If you use 2k resistors instead of 1k then the LED’s would not be as bright, yes? Is it possible to switch out the 1k resistors to 2k on the daughter board so my LED’s won’t be as bright or will that screw up something else in the module if I did that? I’d like them not so bright but wanted to use the ones I have.

Request please… Seeing as how I am new to synth DIY and I am a modular idiot, I’m still trying to figure out…

A) what all of these modules do
B) whether or not I have built them correctly

I wondered if you could make a video for the modules that just shows what happens when a single signal is plugged into each audio jack and another one for each CV jack? For example, what happens when you just have a square wave input to the LFO? What do the knobs do when you turn them with that square wave in? For example, I’ve built the LFO but I don’t know if it is working the way it is supposed to because I am not sure what to expect to hear when I turn each knob and/or flip the switches, if that makes any sense. If I had a reference for testing so I knew how to verify that it’s working correctly it would be extremely helpful. I know a lot of people have gotten into synth DIY because of you and I think there are many of us who could benefit from something like this. Just an idea that I thought would be helpful to me and others. :slight_smile:

1 Like

you can maybe open a new thread for this :wink:

2 Likes

Question… If you use 2k resistors instead of 1k then the LED’s would not be as bright, yes? Is it possible to switch out the 1k resistors to 2k on the daughter board so my LED’s won’t be as bright or will that screw up something else in the module if I did that? I’d like them not so bright but wanted to use the ones I have.

yeah 2 things you can do. try a 2k however they won’t turn on lower voltages. the other option is to get less bright LED’s. which led’s do you have? if they are standard they are pretty dim anyway! but super brightsl… well haha the name suggests.

yep of course! my aim is to do more videos on the modules on the more serious channel. this week im touching on the the 1184, and ill work along from that! hope thats ok.

3 Likes

i begining this thread

6 Likes

I changed the title. Let me know if I got it right. I also tried to change some of the text into more idiomatic English. This is very useful.

2 Likes

yeh thanks a lot :slight_smile: …
i make a wiki for that

3 Likes

Okay, so using 2k would make them less bright but it will also not allow them to turn on with lower voltages. Is that what you’re saying? That doesn’t sound like that will work then.

I have several different LED’s, but the ones that I want to use are like yours where they are clear but turn red when in use. I found some that said they were just “bright” but not “ultra bright” but they were .49 a piece. So I was hoping that I could use the ultra bright ones that I have, which are .02 a piece, and just use a different resistor to control the brightness.

Yes, starting with the 1184 is absolutely fine. Whatever order you want to do is no problem. I only mentioned it in this thread since you had already commented on making a video about the 1184 and mods for it. Thanks for doing this. It will really help myself and others. Not knowing if I made a mistake in the build process can be frustrating.

2 Likes

There are two sets of LEDs in the #1184 VCA.
The “mute” LEDs have a fixed brightness so you can directly control their brightness by changing their current limiting resistors.
The “CV level” LEDs vary in brightness with the CV level, they don’t actually “turn on” at a specific voltage, but they have to reach a certain level of brightness before we see that they are lit. If your LEDs are brighter than average (or your environment darker) you will notice them being lit at a lower CV level. Increasing the current limiting resistor to reduce the maximum brightness may just bring the point where you notice the LED being lit back to the same level one would notice it with “less bright” LEDs or in a brighter environment.
But in fact, the 1k current limiting resistor only controls the maximum brightness that occurs only for high CV levels. At lower CV levels the current through the LED (and thus its brightness) is mostly controlled by the 100k resistor at the base of the transistor.
So you can increase the 1k resistor to limit the maximum brightness and reduce the 100k resistor to increase the brightness at lower CV levels (don’t go too low though, down to 33k should still be OK).

You could temporarily solder in pots on wires, or try it on a breadboard to find the brightness level you like.

To quote a wise man (or was he a wiseguy?): “Don’t be scared to try it!”

4 Likes

This is really good information to have. I might try 2k on mine.

2 Likes

Thanks Antoine! I’ll try putting in a 2k and then reduce the 100k to 47k and see what happens.

“To quote a wise man (or was he a wiseguy?): “Don’t be scared to try it!””

Damn that quote! LOL Yeah, that “wise guy” is what got me into this mess in the first place :laughing:

2 Likes

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

1 Like

haha I dunno I wouldn’t particularly say wise… more like too stupid to know better :D! but im gunna keep hammering away till I can fill those boots…

but yes please let us all know the outcome of your LED messing. they can be pretty darn bright!!! I like how they can pretty much illuminate a room with an ominous red glow. but yes they can startle you!

2 Likes

So I changed the mute LED 1k resistors to 2k and it really didn’t make any difference at all. Is 2k not enough? Do I need to go higher?

2 Likes

Try increasing it more, there is no risk to the circuit.
You can also increase the 100k resistor, if the LED is too bright even at low CVs.
Double the values and double them again until you see a change and back down to a level you like, there is nothing critical in that part of the circuit (just don’t reduce the values of those resistors excessively, but that’s not what you want to do anyway).

4 Likes

And I would suggest to try on a breadboard if you are not already doing that :wink:

3 Likes

Comparing schematics of 1181 and 1183, I wonder why are R1 (110k/220k) and R2 (220k/470k) different?

I am about to build 1181 on stripboard and ask which one serves better?

1 Like

My guess is the larger resistance was used on the quad VCA mixer because the four VCAs get mixed; attenuating the CVs more helps keep the sum in range. Maybe?

2 Likes

I’m guessing we need switched jacks on the 4 outputs then ? … and that’s why my mixer doesn’t work?
:frowning:

2 Likes