1113 Performance Filter

All Chats about this filter. maybe a mouser cart. or places people have found stuff for it.

chat about it here!

Im updating the filter panel relatively soon it was the first module I put out, for instance the mounting holes were made for wood screws only! instead of for both rails and wood rails like the others, however like me I can imagine most people building this are going down the wooden rails route!!! its the best!

2 Likes

I was wondering why you said you’d be putting out a new design when you sell off existing stock. If it’s just about the holes, I may buy one of the old boards because I think I can probably live with odd holes. I haven’t yet worked out how I’ll adapt heterogeneous module sizes, but it will probably involve custom-built sabots prototyped in 2mm backing card (“brownboard”) and then (if necessary) built in plywood.

I want to make all the mistakes, so others don’t have to. Maybe 2mm card will be incredibly durable, cuttable and drillable. Maybe wood merchants will take pity on the weird guy and give me free offcuts.

2 Likes

hahaha yeah to be honest its not a problem, I can imagine most people will be using wooden rails. and to be honest the holes are actually fine for metal rails. however they are a tad larger than M3 thats all. it would actually still work!!! haha cool! let me know how it goes :smiley:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Ok put the socket in backwards and made a mess getting it out…I’m hoping I didn’t ruin it, thoughts?

Does it even matter if the socket is in backwards? Should have asked before I tried to get it out.

3 Likes

It doesn’t really matter, as long as you remember to put the chip the right way that is. But your mess doesn’t look too bad, so hopefully all’s well.

4 Likes

That’s what I thought but my brain would not except having it in the wrong way. Now my brain has to except that I turned into a honey badger getting it out, thanks fredrik.

3 Likes

Get some flux, solder wick and don’t turn the temperature up too high. If a hole just won’t clean up, add solder, then try removing it. If all else fails, do some very careful drilling.

5 Likes

For cleaning out solder filled holes I like using a toothpick. Heat from one side, poke toothpick from the other side.

And yes, change toothpicks when the one you’re using gets too burned up.

4 Likes

I’ve found desoldering needles quite useful (you can get them off ebay for almost nothing):

They’re hollow, so you can use them also to clear out holes with pins in them, if the hole is large enough to fit both the needle and the pin.

9 Likes

I wish it were only sockets I keep putting in backwards

4 Likes

I second what fredrik says!!! all good I do it loads!!! just remember. sometimes I put a sharpie on it if its a mistake. its fine though you’ll sort it! just got to get that solder out somehow!

3 Likes

I finally looked at that video and for $5 shipped from Kentucky I had to have them. Why is the memory of components getting stuck to the side of a through-hole so when desoldering so much more vivid than the memory of what the component or even the project was?

2 Likes

I just noticed that the output of the filter is very low in loudness( is that the word)? I mean the incoming signal is a lot louder than what comes out of the filter, even if it does not really filter… is this expected or have I made some mistake?

That’s the case on mine as well. It’s been bugging me.

Mine is the same, but only in low pass mode. In high pass mode it seems fine. Observed behaviour in mine so far is that in low pass with the cutoff all the way open it’s about half as loud as in high pass mode with the cutoff all the way open (opposite direction than in low pass). I have the trimpot all the way clockwise.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

^ Shamelessly tagging @CTorp and @fredrik since they were able to answer my questions about the 1222. :kissing_heart:

Oh I’m a total noob too bro I just happened to know that about the VCO, probably read what @fredrik said before. That being said my high pass is much louder than the low. I think it’s normal?

Humans have non-linear interpretations of loudness contours. We evolved to favor specific frequencies between 2 and 5 kHz due to the resonance of the ear canal and the shape of ear bones (Ossicles).

TLDR;
Our meat changes how loud we hear sounds depending on the frequency of the sound.

My high pass is also definitely louder.