#1007 midimuso midi-cv

Quick Update : it was indeed the program. I Reprogrammed the chip with the software (literally 1 click, super easy to use), and everything is back to normal! Thank you Sam for your help!

4 Likes

Link to the reprogramming software?

1 Like

Here you go :

https://midimuso.co.uk/tools/

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I’m a bit new to electronics diy so troubleshooting isn’t exactly my strong suit, and I’ve had a bit of an issue that I was hoping someone would have a really obvious answer to. Just stuffed and soldered the 1007, went to plug it in for some good calibration and whatnot, and instead MAGIC SMOKE. I can’t say that this pleases me greatly. I can tell that at first both 10r resistors (that’s R2 and R3) went right up in great fiery madness. So I took it back to the bench, took a look around, realized I had the polarity on C2 backwards, replaced it, replaced R2 and R3, plugged it back up, and now only R3 becomes fiery deathball of sadness. Any thoughts? Picture

below in case I’m just a total numbskull (bit of a messy solder job, I know–like i say, I’m a noob), and put something in backwards or some such. All help appreciated. Cheers.

5 Likes
5 Likes

get out the magnifying glass and look for solder bridges , especially on the ic sockets / power header .

3 Likes

Before you connect a power supply to a circuit you have just build, measure the resistance between the power leads and the GND of the circuit. If the resistance is very low, you have a short somewhere and need to solve that before connecting any actual power to it. It is unwise to make the assumption that everything will be OK, it is wise to check first!

6 Likes

chips look like they are the right way round on this board, but check on the other side. 9 times out of 10 when this happens to me I’ve put in an opamp backwards…

remove all chips and test it without them in, if the problem is still there its something else.

6 Likes

hi
I have just started to get interested in the MIDI and how it works… and I still have a lot to learn!! :sweat_smile:
my question is : does this module allow you to play chords or not?
because at the moment with a vco 1v module I can’t play several notes at the same time. does this module allow it?

You’ll need as many VCOs as notes in your chord.

2 Likes

ok and the module allows to control 6 of them at the same time, right?

Correct, but you need to set it to mode ‘6’ first by sending it a program change ‘6’ via midi.

If you are using some kind of a midi sequencer, it is often convenient to create a program change message at the beginning of the sequence. In that way you are sure your midi2cv interface will always run the mode that is appropriate for that sequence.

3 Likes

I use my keystep. How does it work with a MIDI keyboard?

1 Like

If you connect a midi device to the midi2cv interface, then the interface will produce cv-voltages and gates if the midi device sends the info the midi2cv interface is set to respond to. It will do that whether the midi device is a pc with a DAW and a midi interface or it is a keyboard or keystep, or whatever as long as that can send midi data. Makes no difference. Just make sure the midi2cv device is set to the mode you want and send the appropriate midi signals with the midi device.

1 Like

I have a question about the wiring for linking 2 modules. I was reading the Midimuso instructions, and I understand the in and out chain pins, but is also calls out a JP1 pin that I don’t see in the Kosmo panel.

hey that’s achieved by the jumper you put in place instead. the one thats basically a connector either way. if you see here what you do is keep the jumper attached in the first midimuso. and attach the chain output from the first one to the chain input of the second one. if it doesn’t work first time turn around the cable. check the schematic here so where you see the tx wire on chain output that needs to connect to the second midimuso rx https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5912db7ee6f2e1435dbab4fd/t/5f11ddca15c4d51df8793f91/1595006412162/1007+KOSMO+MIDIMUSO+1.3.pdf let me know how you get on!

4 Likes

So, is it just one cable between the two modules?

I have another question about setting them to polyphony. Both modules work in their default mode, just as you would expect. Each midi channel puts out CV on a row of the module, but when I send the signal to set it to polyphony I only get CV on the first row.

I’m thinking it might have something to do with the signal coming from my key step needing to be changed, I just haven’t figured that part out yet…

yep just 1 cable between the two, then on boot up the first module send a handshake command to automatically set the second to the second set.

as for poly. which mode are you speaking of? the poly 4 mode? or the 6 channel mode?

4, on just one module.

Whem I put them together, fist I calibrated the control voltage, then I started testing each module in default mode separately, in their default mode. I can switch between midi channels one through four on the key step and it puts out CV on rows one through four on the module.

Next I sent the command to set each module separately to four voice Polly. Row one still puts out CV but nothing else does. I can tell the command changed something because when I switch to MIDI channels two through four on the key step it no longer puts out CV on rows two through four on the modules.

I get the feeling I’m making a really obvious and simple mistake somewhere… I just don’t see it yet…

2 Likes

Well, one problem is solved. At first I was sending the changed commands with Reaper using the premade midi files.

I tried using the online tool instead (https://midimuso.co.uk/tools/), now they’re both working perfectly alone.

Still having a problem setting the two to link. I’m patching a jumper cable the output of the first module to the input pin on the second. I tried both the top and bottom pins, but they still don’t work when wired together. I’m sure I just misunderstood the instructions, since everything else works .

PS, I’ve been shutting hem off each time I change the pins

1 Like