Zorch's build progress

My ribbon cable tester is my power supply… Plug cable between 2 sockets, keep hand on power switch, if the LEDs go out, turnitoffquick!

4 Likes

I can say from experience " this tool " from where ever , defiantly makes a better cable and is much easier to use than a pair of pliers .

3 Likes

And is much more comfortable than using the bench vise out in the garage in the dead of winter.

5 Likes

I’ve only broke a few plugs this way.

2 Likes

yeah I mangled a few of the power connectors and had a few cables not work , so I decided it would be worth investing in the right tool .

2 Likes

Big milestone today!

Its been a long time coming but I finally completed my Kosmo format Branches.

The SMD soldering was really not terrible - I probably could have gotten away with not having the hot air gun and the blunt tip on my soldering iron seemed to be adequate for the task. It was still an interesting new challenge as most of the parts are smaller than a sesame seed. I did loose one resistor to the aether - there needs to be a name for when you tweeze too hard and they just vanish. Thank goodness synthcube includes one extra of each flavor of resistor and cap in the kit. I do feel like I could tackle the Rings kit next - though that is a project for down the line to be sure.

As things stand now everything in the case is working - with the exception of my oscillators. My god they are noisy now. I have the feeling the only way to solve the problem at this point is to move them out of this case. When I get around to case 2, I might put all of my Arduino based modules in there. Perhaps that will help?

Next up is mostly fixing things - namely the safety valve and my mult. I could start in on my Turing module as well if I wanted and knowing me, in an attempt to avoid fixing, I might just do that. Now difficult decisions must be made since I am running out of room. There is only enough left for two ‘standard’ sized modules: either the Turing, the safety, and/or the mult plus one more 2.5 sized module of some sort. I suppose I could attempt to fit the clock capture module in there… not sure how much use it will get though.

10 Likes

Have not been doing a lot of building lately - a variety reasons. I did get the chance to finally show off my system to some people who know nothing about any of this modular malarkey. That was quite fun.

Meanwhile I realized the reason that I was not able to trigger my WAV Trigger to switch banks was because I have not updated its firmware. In hindsight I wish I had done this before installing it in the module itself as now its going to be much more awkward - but I’ll still likely get around to it. The functionality seems too good to pass up.

I managed to pick up a mixer from work that was destined for the trash.

The little bit of plastic inside of the power socket broke off (the one that orients the power plug inside of the jack). After a quick peek at the schematics my initial hopes of (easily) making a module out of it were dashed as it seems to want +/-15 volts. I suppose I could bypass the plug altogether and see how it works with my +/-12

Any thoughts? Maybe I should just attempt a repair? Maybe there is some other hack I can do with it that I have not thought of?

4 Likes

You could try connecting the rails to ±12 V and see if it works. I think it might. Certainly I don’t think it’d do any harm to test it.

3 Likes

Well it works!

The problem is its a really tight squeeze on a 10mm panel. I might have to make it 12.5. Still, not bad for a free 3 channel stereo mixer.

9 Likes

Very nice, seems like a great way to get a mixer module with many functions :slight_smile:

Did you notice anything regarding headroom or distortion characteristics?

I don’t know if these mixers distort very much at all, but i was wondering because one could maybe change the sound of some mixers by changing the supply voltages.

I could certainly see a use for that in my own mixer, because i love it’s distortion and it would sure be cool if i could add a little more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My test was very brief so I honestly dont know. For my untrained ear it sounded fine - but time will tell. Also it is likely important to note that my oscillators are already a bit on the distorted and noisy side thanks to some dirty power. If anything it seems to be working quite well to amplify.

I’m currently working on the plate - its a bit of a challenge as all of the pots are set back quite deep. I would use pot extensions but then you wont be able to see the LED’s or reach the RCA jacks.

3 Likes

I see. There’s also a good chance that the internal signal never exceeds the clipping point of the circuitry, because +/- 12v is still very large for these kinds of audio signals.

The panel seems like a PITA indeed. I didn’t really notice before but it’s not a very easy shape to reproduce.
Isn’t there a way to just use the original housing?
Maybe make the part with the jacks flush with the case and have the knobs recessed?
Just an idea :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would probably be the smart move - but I’m going to try the monolithic 3d print approach first.

3 Likes

A relic of my past - a lightning unit originally destined for a now defunct pc. Can anyone tell what this circuit is doing?

I can’t see what value the caps are, but there are two 1616AL transistors.

Turning dc into ac perhaps?

DC to high voltage AC current.

2 Likes

Also known as don’t stick your hand in it.

5 Likes

Almost every cable used. Also, I have a mixer ergonomics issue.

12 Likes

The sound in this picture is not working mate (:

4 Likes

mixer ergonomics issue , what mixer ? :rofl:

3 Likes

Well, I don’t hate it

I’m not sure how it’s going to fit into my patches as of yet. Will likely take some time to play around with it before I do.

It does seem to distort things a bit, especially when the gain is turned all the way up on the incoming signal.

7 Likes