Which Final Output module?

XLR connectors are quite common for professional sound and lighting gear. I’ve been considering adopting 4 pin mini XLR for power distribution, as an alternative to the usual Eurorack ribbon cables and headers. I find it crazy that some people are spending hundreds of pounds on a module but then connecting it to power using reversible headers.

1 Like

I run my 8 channel simple mixer out to a 16 channel audio mixer.XLR from there to the recorders.

2 Likes

The module can also be wired for jacks. You’d be using stereo jacks to carry a balanced mono signal. I actually put both XLR and ¼” jacks in mine. And the PCB was only, like, $13.

2 Likes

reversible headers ? you would have to try real hard to reverse these , they are slotted and have an arrow on them that is always negative side and ribbon cable has red stripe on negative side . which I honestly don’t get why they did it that way , positive is usually red [ like cars ] .

2 Likes

Feb. 3 is when this was posted , dam there is so much going on here I seem to miss shit all the time .

Can the VCA go direct into a small speaker, does it have enough oomph? I think this is the missing link for me at present…

Going to go oldskool and look at a TDA2050 circuit to build.

on the contrary I think it will have too much punch, you must have an attenuator

with this simple schematic

2 Likes

Active speaker, yes. Speaker element, not really. They’re very low impedance, and need low impedance output stages. Opamps aren’t designed for that.

1 Like

Let me clarify, I intend to go directly into a passive 8ohm Hi-Fi Speaker ( for the time being )

And arrow is usually positive. Some Doepfer stuff is just weird.

(Someone should really clean up their Wikipedia page, btw (which I only looked at because some MuffWiggler referred to the company as Döpfer). The article doesn’t even mention Eurorack or their impact on industry, but it has what appears to be a list of everything Dieter’s built from 1979 to circa 2012 :smiley:).

3 Likes

just one question "btw"is the abbreviation of what please

3 Likes

“by the way” – used for “something that relates to the subject you are discussing, but is not the main point of the discussion” to quote a random dictionary.

3 Likes

ok thanks a lot, I will sleep less stupid tonight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Something I aspire to daily

3 Likes

BTW , I was referring to the connectors in the picture they have a triangle [ ok so not exactly a arrow ] on the negative side

1 Like

There are a number of online lexicons of English internet jargon. This is a list of the sixty most common.

Personally I try to avoid jargon, especially abbreviations, but it’s certainly useful to know some because a lot of people use jargon with the enthusiasm of an Italian waiter with the parmesan.

1 Like

thanks a lot for this ! I put that in my link

is this something popular, does everyone understand that?

2 Likes

Jargon or simple “acronym” , whichever it pre-dates the internet.

Is it a thing in other languages?? surely it must be?

Synth is littered with them…

but we digress…

1 Like

BTW is widely understood by native English speaking internet users, but not as universal as pre-internet abbreviations such as etc (et cetera) and dept (department.)

I nearly always use plain English because I don’t see the point in saving myself a second or two writing on my phone when it may cost half a dozen readers considerably more time than that to work out what I meant by an abbreviation.

3 Likes

French definitely has some.
Some are actually so popular that they are even used in other language e.g. RSVP
(We also use latin abreviations…)

2 Likes