What would YOU do with that? (Uses for odd components)

I turned one module into a decadent silly sample player including a pitch mod.
Will make some nice inlays for the buttons.

8 Likes

time for another episode of…

While canibalizing old PCBs I found these interresting cans.
AD 536AHJ True RMS-to-DC Converters. There were also 1K tempcos and a constant voltage thingy installed alongside.
(The original board is a very complex dynamic section from an early 90ies audio mixer but there is no way I’ll get these boards up and running again)

My first idea was to use them as envelope followers but this can also be done with standard op amps rather than with these uncommon somewhat pricy components.

3 Likes

The log output might suggest some exponential ability.
That and the buffer is interesting to me (not sure why but it’s jogged something - hopefully when I remember it’ll be useful.)

2 Likes

More metal cans. When I found that bag (once again in the trash) I was all exited because I thought these were OTAs, but they’re not unfortunately. They have a strobe input for sample and hold.

https://www.renesas.com/in/en/document/dst/ca3140-ca3140a-datasheet

That sinewave shaper in the applications looks neat.

5 Likes

Here we go again.

A former Surround panning module. Have one more in the original state.
Next to impossible to use the original circuitry because it would mean to reverse-engineer the control bus and protocol.

My plan is to use the same panel, buttons, LED matrix (dual red/green common cathode) and the joystick
and hook it up to some arduino to do…? whatever :man_shrugging: :grinning:
But there are many other things on my list.

3 Likes

10 turn Pots (10K linear). I cant think for a use in a module. Usually you find them in variable power supplies.

Also lots of these 22Ks, 1 turn but with a notch in the middle :man_shrugging: For a step sequencer maybe…

Pots

2 Likes

Or attenuverters, or ± bias knobs on a VCA or DC mixer…

1 Like

I used also one of this for the Decay pot of my Hit module, i was thinking it was good for adjust precisely, and i happy with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few years ago i scored this variable autotransformer for €10. It’s rated for 270VA at 120volt. Mains voltage is 230v where i live.

Does anyone think i could make a rlc band pass filter with it? Maybe with a valve driver, and a big knob, test equipment style :slight_smile:

2 Likes

have about 7 of these from a demo on a commercial job . any ideas ?

2 Likes

For a modular case power starve pot ?

3 Likes

I assume you’ve found it already, but here’s the spec/datasheet:

QC10 is a UL Listed, single-gang, 20W, ten-step, continuous rotary, audio level attenuator with an OFF position.

EDIT: Correction, it’s probably this one, but except for the printed positions the specs are same/very similar:

4 Likes

Maybe screw them into the side of a case as a ‘final output’ attenuator?

1 Like

I’ll submit Logan’s Kodak device. That many switches adds up to unusual and the connectors are nothing seen every day.

https://www.facebook.com/656832046/posts/10157693044417047/

-Fumu / Esopus

I got these relays for 1 euro each.

The clear octal socket relay is an 2pdt and the orange 11pin ones are 3pdt.

3 Likes

Wonder if you could incorporate the 3 relays into some kind of logic gate or sample and hold (3 bit?), Adder/Harmonizer, arpeggiator, eh Boollien logic type project.
You know, that sounded so much better in my head.

1 Like

Hey that’s a cool idea!
I have been checking Relay logic
for different kinds of relay logic gates, but it seems i would need at least one more to make the really interesting ones

Maybe i will use them in my tube amplifiers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Claw machine claw.

Claw game, controlled with CV from a synth.

https://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=393_396&products_id=1957

4 Likes

Random module selector for @Dud ?

8 Likes

:sweat_smile:
it’s remind me a siren bike toy

2 Likes