Virtual analogue

Let’s use this thread to talk about “naughty but nice” gear. It’s not analogue, but it benefits from skill transference by simulating analogue circuitry using digital hardware and software.

My Akai Miniak has risen from the dead, after appearing to die last year.

Well that turned into a real damburst. I’m devoting at least two hours a day to noodling with the Miniak. It’s full of great presets, which on this architecture range from simple rhythms and arpeggios right through to complex combinations of synth voices, rhythms and sequences, known as Multis. A pitch wheel, two modulation wheels and three rotary knobs provide in-play controls that can be assigned to a wide range of parameters. Other real-time controls include a latch switch to provide automatic sustain (as an alternative to the sustain pedal) and another latch for capturing sequences from the keyboard during performance.

The wealth of provided presets is a mixed benefit. They inspire composition and playing ideas, but in my opinion they can also discourage the kind of experimentation I would need to truly master this instrument. So it’s easy for me to pick one of the existing excellent Multis, and jam with it. The sounds are far better than anything I could play manually and feel much more spontaneous than anything I could compose in a DAW. But how much of the result is my own work, and how much is simply the product of my monkey-like tinkering with somebody else’s carefully prepared construction? I’ve found many a Multi that responds to the player’s every keypress by adding preprogrammed rhythmic elements or transposing an existing sequence to another key. Of course, this does often produce very beautiful and inspiring pieces, and I can see that it would be easy to produce good results by adding a chord here and there or tweaking the bass line.

I still want to investigate the really sumptuous range of sounds the basic synth engine provides. It’s ridiculously difficult to do this using the synth’s limited user interface, though. A comparison to performing keyhole surgery would not be an undue exaggeration. Fortunately there are editing solutions that make life easier, and of those available I’ve chosen to opt for the Windows and MacOSX-based editor provided by HyperSynth. It does the job for me.

My Miniak’s gooseneck microphone seems to be broken. You really have to shout at it to get any kind of signal out of the vocoder, and while that kind of playing might just work at Newcastle City Hall or Wembley Stadium where only sound fed into the PA actually reaches the audience, it’s actually quite upsetting to my family (especially our beloved greyhound Neve) when the normally gentle, quietly spoken bearded patriarch can be heard bellowing nonsense sounds in his bedroom. Is the poor fellow having a stroke? So I suppose I need to replace that microphone before they contemplate replacing me.

One thing worth remembering, though, is that the vocoder is part of the Miniak’s external input processing capability. Presumably I can take the line level output of my Crave or Neutron and mix this to produce new sounds. The Miniak has a full stereo external audio input, so I could feed it on streamed audio, radio or CDs and whatnot, and mix that with everything the Miniak can do, including but not limited to vocoder processing.

7 Likes

I’ve had the chance in the past to use Nord Lead 1 and 2. Some of those session even ended up on released records. I love, love, love the sound. I should perhaps look into acquiring one.

3 Likes

Colour-blind person alert: we’re about 5% of the population so if you’re deciding to use colours as symbols do please be aware that alternative signals might work alongside or instead of colours. And there’s always that standby, the multi-segment display. Colours are pretty, I know, but that’s not much use to me if my eyes can’t detect the difference between the two wavelengths of light your chosen LEDs emit. Sometimes “the red will also flicker” may be enough.

3 Likes

Stone mod wheel? I like the idea, but that sounds like a demand for bumped prices and a simultaneous request for inflated expectations.

I don’t know much about Nord synths, but they do seem to be used a lot.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d be more interested in the rack-size no keyboard versions.

2 Likes

Here’s a band I like, the keyboard player uses a Nord Stage 2 EX

4 Likes

When it comes to art, I think one component to look at which is very important is intent. If you do something, but you didn’t intend to, is it yours? If you create an algorithm which generates a pattern is it yours? If you simply use the algorithm, but didn’t have any control over it, and simply generate a result, did you create something, or did you simply watch as it formed?

To me, these things don’t directly impact the quality of the work, it just variably alters what you can say you yourself are responsible for creating. It’s a gradient though, because most all art is going to realistically come down to a bunch of “inspired” and “deliberate” decisions.

The more someone has mastery over their craft, the more the understand what they are doing, and what impact their conscious decisions will have on the work.

4 Likes

That’s pretty inspiring stuff. I’m going to take Emi’s Nord sounds as a model and see how close I can get. She plays with a sound and style reminiscent of Ray Manzarek of the Doors on Foxy, recorded live at Blues Alley Japan. Using just the three-oscillator design of the Miniak, I wonder how close I can get to that sound.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, that would’ve been a better one to link. Extended Nord solo starts here FOXY Live in Blues Alley Japan/TOKYO GROOVE JYOSHI - YouTube.

3 Likes

Before we get too carried away, just want to mention that the Nord Stage is very different from the Nord Lead. Also sounds good, though :grinning:

4 Likes

Ray used to play a Fender Rhodes bass piano with his left hand (The Doors had no bass guitarist after 1965) and pick out the melody on a rather elegant Vox Continental organ, which gave him that signature Doors sound.

The Nord synth does have a Vox Continental preset. I’m learning a lot by trying to fiddle with the Miniak (I use a software-based patch editor
for the Miniak by HyperSynth.) Nowhere near sounding like that Vox patch or the original Doors sound, but I’m beginning to learn what this complex sound engine can and cannot do.

Edit: I just realized that Alan Price also played a Vox Continental. You can hear it clearly in The Animals’ House of the Rising Sun.

4 Likes

Here’s a video of a type I’d love to see more of. Justin Carey developed a Vox-like patch for the Prophet Rev 2, and here he talks us through the settings. The Miniak shares some characteristics with the Prophet, as his language shows, so it ought to get me into the right neighbourhood of sound.

2 Likes

The problem here, as my son has reminded me, is that the organ builds its sound by additive synthesis, from sine waves (whether from a pipe or a tone wheel). Approximating this by subtractive synthesis involves some fancy footwork with filters. He is trying to nudge me towards an additive approach, which may even make sense with three sine waves, but as I’m being offered a subtractive pattern that does a decent job with a triangle and a sawtooth I’ll stick with it and see how far I get.

First results sound awful. There are clearly some nuances in wave shaping that I haven’t successfully copied across to the Miniak.

1 Like

You can absolutely approximate with subtractive. Given any source waveform, you can build a similar sound!

I can’t recommend welsh’s synthesizer cookbook more for this.

5 Likes

Still learning the basics, like where the pitch variation comes from after I disabled the LFOs and everything else other than the oscillators. Until I really understand where every little squeak comes from, I can’t call myself a Miniak player.

2 Likes

I think it’s a mistake to also assume you need to know everything about it before you can consider yourself a player of the instrument!

Sometimes being surprised is half the fun you know!

3 Likes

I’m having trouble obtaining Fred Welsh’s books. The purchase links on his website go to expired Amazon and eBay entries (and the link you provided doesn’t ship to the UK). The basic ideas are pretty good and I’m finding sources that discuss the topic in some detail.

I found that the unwanted pitch variation on the Miniak came from LFO1 which is unexpectedly normalled to oscillator pitch. I’m mucking around with the modulation matrix to get a decent Leslie effect with its amplitude controlled by the Mod1 wheel.

From the Prophet Rev2 manual I’m getting a clearer idea about how the wave shape modulation works on that synth. Not at all like the Miniak, it seems. Approximation by ear may be enough to give a sufficiently Vox-like timbre.

2 Likes

By that standard I’m a musical polymath, constantly surprised by every instrument I touch!

Seriously, though, I’ve been learning a lot from these snatched two-hour sessions, encouraged by all the helpful responses on this forum.

Next session I’ll try playing one of my semi-modulars through the external sound processing section of the Miniak. In principle I could feed MIDI Out from the Miniak to the Neutron, then line out on the Neutron into external audio input on the Miniak playing a Multi that has its own sequence, then line out on the Miniak to external audio input on the Crave. Will the Miniak allow me to do that? I don’t know. The three synths are fun to play individually. If I connect my Rock Band 3 keytar to the Crave MIDI In in this multi-synth scenario, what will that do? I expect to be amazed!

1 Like

That Nord video thumbnail has been nagging me like a loose fingernail. I think it reminds me of this xkcd:

4 Likes

I bought M-Audio Venom few years ago. Played it in some randomly practising bands, but didn’t use it that much. Now, after couple of years of dwelving into modular synths, I bought it home from my practise space where it had been collecting dust for three years. Suddenly I can make it sound good, as I have much better grasp of how to make envelopes and modulation matrix to do what I want it to do.
Biggest problem with it is that you can only edit the sounds properly with computer, using a software that has been abandoned in 2013. But technically I could make a custom midi controller for it…
The modulation matrix can make it do a huge amount of things, but it’s just pain in the ass to adjust with the clunky and buggy software. (I mean, not just bugs that it crashes, literally “Volume” and “Pan” knobs are reversed in the UI. If you adjust volume and pan from pots on the synth, they react like they should, but if you adjust them with mouse on the UI, changing volume changes the pan and vice versa).

4 Likes