Korg Mini Pops DIY DRUM MACHINE (& DSP-D8)

I find this page recentely, and it’s seems very easy and interesting !

A clone of the famous Drum machine with only an ARDUINO :upside_down_face:

Schematic and code by Jan Ostman .

the page with info and schematic :

and the code :

Do you know this project ? what do you think about it

Can we make a module with trigger input for each sound with some little modifications ?

another schem with clock and reset out (that is in the code)

His GitHub with others projects (2 others drums and string)

4 Likes

I’ve build it on stripboard several years ago.
Really fun.
Should be easy to convert the mutes input to triggers and get rid of all the rythm stuff.

I’ll have to dig a bit to find my cleaned up version of the code… give me a day or two :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or do the opposite.
Keep the rythm part and output triggers…

i imagine most in my head trigger it with my modular (if i buid it :slight_smile: ) because i control allready the modular with a beatstep, and maybe have new sound to trigg will be cool
btw the DSP-D8 version will be more that i research …(snare, clap …)

2 Likes

DSP-D8 with pitch pot add and trigger in

2 Likes

Here is my take on the O2 code :

(Ignore the ifdefs MACOSX, that’s just to be able to use XCode and clang for writing big chunks of codes, arduino’s IDE is so prehistoric…)

4 Likes

thanks a lot @eric !

1 Like

I have built this for my youngest. We embedded it in a cheap guitar amp for busking.
My biggest challenge was the disappearance of Jan’s WordPress site.
Nice to see it all together. Jan’s projects are a lot of fun. Some tie in neatly with an idea I had to replace the VERY EXPENSIVE wav trigger for the big button.

3 Likes

Jan’s string synth with filters is adorable and should be in any modular.

1 Like

Yes, that was some disappointment…
Luckily I’d made a mirror of it.
I always make mirrors of websites I find useful, so many have vanished…

2 Likes

@eric how do you mirror a site (im not very web smart). I love the idea of having a “local” resource of cool sites I find. Any chance of a new thread here?

Looks like the site’s mostly archived here:

(Unfortunately for instance the images for the string synth writeup are gone.)
2 Likes

There are plenty of apps for mirroring web sites.

Choose the one you prefer :

3 Likes

Thanks Rich. I built the string synth as a gift a while ago before my PC died and I switched to using my chromebook and the web ide. (Yes I should have backed it up)
Im not able to code much these days so looking for a working source code and schematic to build a simple MIDI module to add to my youngest‘s piano.
Most of the schematics, pictures/video and code seem to be missing on this blog… is that my browser/location or just the way it is?

That’s the way it is, the Wayback Machine archives what it archives but it fails to archive some stuff including, frequently, images.

1 Like

Unfortunately my mirror isn’t complete either…

But here is what I have :

4 Likes

Thanks @eric. Much appreciated.

1 Like

OK it should work now…

1 Like

Above and beyond mate. Many thanks

Here’s the archive of the earlier site, which does have the string synth images:

1 Like