Turing Machine in Kosmo Format

Dibs on The Halting Problem.

2 Likes

This is the one I have. I think the footprint is going to work. It is the same as the Thonk link.

Ah, I see why I couldnā€™t find it, I was filtering on in stock. These are expected in September.

Ā£6.67 with slow untracked shipping to my address from Thonk ($8.24 US). $12.76 with Mouserā€™s cheapest shipping option, when itā€™s back in stock.

1 Like

Sorry, I did buy the remaining stock (3).

2 Likes

Now I wish you would have given me that one before I put in my order.

3 Likes

Oh yes. Now I see. According to this unimpeachable authority, any machine that can ture is, strictly speaking, a Turing Machine.

During the Second World War, the allies expended quintillions of dollars (in 2022 Trump Bucks) producing a test to verify this elusive capability. This Turing Test had to be abandoned when the test suite achieved sentience and declared war on both the Axis Powers and the allies. It also, anachronistically, declared in favour of
the fictional Grand Duchy of Fenwick and an equally fictitious small area of Pimlico, London. The latter declarations are believed by modern computer scientists to be simultaneously the first example of artificial stupidity, and a tantalising glimpse of the time warping effects of machine sentience.

This unfortunate episode was completely suppressed, until in 1984 it became the theme of a James Cameron action film called The Terminator (itself a coded reference to the Halting Problem) Never before had the phrase ā€œIā€™ll be backā€ been so freighted with ominous potential. And of course they found a good use of that time-warping capacity, by periodically sending a new script back to 1984 and thus altering the present.

Rare footage of Turing's decisive intervention in World War 2

4 Likes

I know what I am doing this weekendā€¦

13 Likes

Its working, and I only had like 4 stupid mistakes.

First, I didnā€™t have my cap/ic values on the silkscreen for the main Turing Machine board. I did have reference labels (C1, C2, ā€¦), so I just had to reference the BOM to get it done.

Second, The hole for the rotary switch is too small. I used the pot sized hole where it needs to be a bit bigger. Noting a drill couldnā€™t fix.

Third, I tried to add decoupling capacitors to the DAC, but I mistakenly put them in line to the +/-12v. Replacing those with jumpers puts it back to the original circuit, which didnā€™t have decoupling capacitors.

And the fourth, and dumbest, mistake was that I placed all but the clock LEDs backwards in my schematic. This took me way too long to realize. I went through all of my solder joints, checked continuity everywhere, replaced all of the ICs, read all of the problems the people of the internet had with building one of these, and banged my head against the wall before I realized where the issue was.

Anyway, here is a poorly recorded demoā€¦

18 Likes

Super duper love button.

2 Likes

I am finally getting around to making the fixes to my files on github as I work through my next module. Since I will be making an order soon, I can order some updated main boards for the Turing Machine.

How many of you in the US want one of these? If there is enough interest, I can have the updated boards made. I am happy with my working module, so I donā€™t need the updates for myself.

2 Likes

Definitely sign me up!

Sign me up please!!!

Iā€™m interested but Iā€™d probably want to remix the front panel, so might just do my own run if thatā€™s ok.

Iā€™ll do a run for the EU folk once the files are up and ready!

5 Likes

I would take one for sure

I would be interested, but I am also tempted to move around stuff on the panel a little bit and maybe use another fontā€¦ xD Letā€™s see!

2 Likes

Put me down for one!

From the Grids topic:

This Turing Machine conversion is not a commercial product, so the above is not a requirement. But it might be worth thinking about complying anyway. Or not!

5 Likes

Looks like I should change it to the Halting Problem after all.

5 Likes

I updated the git to fix the manufacturing mistakes. I also updated the graphics to change the name to The Halting Problem.

I donā€™t really need to have new front panels made, but I do like the name changeā€¦

7 Likes