Turing Machine in Kosmo Format

I am working through volts right now. I was planning on making an order to test once I have volts done. I will not get to it right away, but maybe add voltages in the future.

2 Likes

Pulses is now up.

I also updated the panel layout and graphics on the others. I will put in a test order for these as soon as I check through them one more time.

3 Likes

An Instagram link. People without an account (aka ā€œpeople who donā€™t do Facebookā€) canā€™t see the content.

1 Like

I can see it, and I have no Instagram account.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great for you. Hereā€™s what I get:

2 Likes

Huh. I get this.

I do have a rarely used FB account but am not logged in with it, and no Instagram account at all.

Hmm, I get the same from an incognito window. But from a guest window I canā€™t get to it.

2 Likes

Identity is really difficult to conceal (basically impossible if the tracking company is determined enough). I can think of several mechanisms by which your status as a Facebook user could be known to Facebook and Instagram (a Facebook company). Since Facebookā€™s main business is consumer intelligence, its surveillance methods are compendious and highly effective. Not that Iā€™m trying to get you worried.

4 Likes

I updated all files for manufacturing and have placed the order for the first batch.

6 Likes

Great! Do you have a source for the rotary switch? I only found it on mouser for over 10ā‚¬ :confused:

1 Like

AliExpress vendors have what they identify as SRBV181004 for as little as $1.82. At that price I think you can be sure you are NOT getting the genuine Alps switch. But might be okay?

2 Likes

Also, DAC0800 (DIP) appears to be out of stock at both Digi-Key and Mouser. Mouser is showing 499 expected 5/29/2023.

Added: Mouser does have the DAC0808LCN in stock. It says here ā€œThe principles here apply equally well to the DAC0808, except that pin 2 of the DAC0808 is normally ground rather than an output.ā€ The datasheets also show pin 1 is threshold control for the 0800 and NC for the 0808. Both pins 1 and 2 are grounded in the Turing Machine. So maybe it could work. Or the Analog Devices DAC08CPZ might work too.

I have the DAC08CPZ, so I will report back on if that one works.

1 Like

I bought it from Mouser. It is $4.77 for us in the US. UK/EU folks are better off buying from Thonk.

1 Like

The name puzzles the hell out of me. Why that name?

It has absolutely nothing to do with any meaning of the term Turing Machine. Itā€™s just a variable pseudo-random generator and looper capable of operating at audio frequencies. Surely there must exist more appropriate names.

1 Like

Sometimes a name is just a name.

1 Like

The Turing Machine is not a real Turing Machine the way Alan Turing explained it. The name is vaguely relevant because the module uses a loop of data being changed, but the similarity ends there. Itā€™s certainly not a ā€˜probabilistic random sequence generator based on the research of Alan Turingā€™ ;-). [Turing Machine Random Looping Sequencer Eurorack DIY Project | Music Thing Modular]

2 Likes

Darn, you beat me to it. Just went hunting for that quote and found it only to be thwarted by AO

1 Like

Iā€™m seeing $9.07 at Mouser for SRBV181004. I do see an Alpha 8 position rotary for $4.77 but the footprint and height are different.

Since itā€™s open source you can name your version anything you want.

1 Like